Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

walking to the amex?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
ynadapab.jpg

vagunuhu.jpg

Lower photo here is the side of the Beacon I clambered up. Not so much a footpath, more the north face...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Train. I had contemplated walking back, but had developed a fairly monstrous blister on one heel by the time I arrived at the Amex, so I chickened out.

Lovely sunny day for it all though. Just me & the wildlife.

e5aqutum.jpg

I love Spring ..and its a great month for working (self employed garden and grounds maintenance) garden next doors to where i worked today had almost a Wood with a carpet of bluebells.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I love Spring ..and its a great month for working (self employed garden and grounds maintenance) garden next doors to where i worked today had almost a Wood with a carpet of bluebells.

Ah, they're just my absolute favourite. I love the way they cover the entire floor of a wood with blue. And they smell lovely too. I've never really noticed the smell of them until yesterday, despite growing up with woodland right behind my parents' house that was a riot of blue every April-May. Was only yesterday that I made the association of the scent with the flowers :dunce:

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
I've walked several times from hassocks. I'll either go straight to falmer, taking the right turn at the crossroads above plumpton or carry straight on to Lewes and train it. Did it in under two hours to falmer. Three hours to Lewes. Never ever walked home.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Right, well I did the walk yesterday, according to Mapometer, it's 8.4 miles from Burgess Hill Station to the Amex.

I went along Keymer Road to Ockley Lane, through Hassocks to Keymer, then down Lodge Lane, straight across New Road to Underhill Lane, at which point I was faced with a decision as to how I climbed Ditchling Beacon. I opted against the footpath that runs alongside the Beacon Road, and instead went up Burnt House Bostal and pretty much straight up the scarp to the South Downs Way path along the top.

Not sure I'd recommend climbing the Beacon that way if you were after a leisurely stroll to a game, as it's bloody steep and you'd get a bit of a sweat on. It's definitely more of a climb than a walk. Or a fall back down the hill. I just couldn't be bothered with all the winding paths along the proper path. I'm sure somebody knows a better route :)

Once on the South Downs Way, it's a short stroll to the car park on top of the Beacon with its views of the Amex and resident ice cream van (yes, yes I did). I crossed over the Beacon Road to the east, and after few hundred metres along there, forked left, followed a footpath down across some fields which eventually took me through St Mary's Farm, past Sussex University and out on to the Ridgeway, past where the Albion currently train, eventually popping out in the northern half of Falmer village.

All in all, it took me about three hours, and whilst hardly power-walking, I thought I was going at a reasonable pace, so I'm a bit surprised at the suggestion earlier on this thread that their mate had done it in just under two. What are they, an Olympic 50k walker?

Very pleasant walk, all in all, if you have the time and the inclination. Particularly in springtime. I might have gone quicker if I hadn't spent a good few minutes admiring the carpet of bluebells in the woodland along Ockley Lane. I love bluebells, me. Glorious sight and smell :)

I always go along the railway at hassocks to Clayton and then up to the windmills.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Okay. It will have to be taxi from ditching to south downs way. Cheers!

I think that would be the best match-day option. Pub in Ditchling (or wherever), get a ride to the car park at the top of the Beacon, and then walk from there. Nearly all downhill, lovely views, and you'll be at the Amex within an hour or so, not sweating too much :thumbsup:

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I think that would be the best match-day option. Pub in Ditchling (or wherever), get a ride to the car park at the top of the Beacon, and then walk from there. Nearly all downhill, lovely views, and you'll be at the Amex within an hour or so, not sweating too much :thumbsup:

Great. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes. ☺

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I did this yesterday.

Got the train to Hassocks, arrived about 1pm, and walked through Keymer and into Ditchling. Stopped into the Bull pub and had a couple of pints and some lunch. Very nice, but their focus is clearly on quality rather than quantity. Bought some delicious bottled ale from Larder, apposite the Bull. From here walked down to New Road and tried to hitch a lift to Pyecombe. Unsurprisingly unsuccessful seeing as the rain had picked up and were both wearing walking boots. Booked a taxi instead, from Ditchling to Pyecombe golf course (£8), from where we started the walk. The rain was really coming down by the time we got to the first crest, and we stopped to put on waterproof over-trousers. Walked from here to Ditchling beacon without seeing a soul. With the menacing sky it made for quite a dramatic vista. Walked about a mile east of the beacon then bore south, past some farmland and Sussex uni campuses, to Falmer village. Would have stopped in at the Swan but because we were running a little behind schedule and the Swan looked unusually lifeless, headed from there to Dick's (where I promptly ordered two pies). As I sat down to eat these the sun broke through the clouds and set behind the downs. A fitting end to a nice (if a bit wet) walk.

It took about fours hours walking. I'm glad we got a taxi, but would recommend booking in advance as the rural service isn't quick. The Bull pub is nice, but if you're after something 'hearty', you might want to scope out elsewhere. Would recommend going to Larder for provisions before the walk - they had what looked to be nice food in there, too. Waterproofs a must (obviously) if the weather is like it was.

I would recommend this route.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here