Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

walking to the amex?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cycle path/pavement to Hassocks. Down to the station, follow the footpath under station bridge to Clayton. Cross the playing field, up the hill to the Windmills. South Downs Way to the Beacon, cross the road, after about half a mile take a right across the fields, down into the valley. Follow the track up the hill, through one gate then right at the second, back down (steep hill). Follow the fence until the next gate, up the hill through the woods until you reach a crossroads on the footpath. Turn left takes you to Stanmer Park. PM me if you want a map ! Pubs en route - Friars Oak and the Hassocks.
That path is called the cinder track

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The one down to Stanmer ? Cheers for that, didn't know....

No the one from Hassocks station that runs along the railway track to Clayton Jack and Jill pub

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Trying to work out whether from my place it would be quicker to go down Folders Lane, along Ditchling Common Lane to Ditchling, then up the Beacon from there.

The road to Ditchling from the common has no path and can be a bit hairy in places - Ockley Lane is even worse. There are a number of footpaths in the vicinity that run parallel that would be better.

Check this site Where is the path which has a map next to a satellite view to give you an idea where you are going (However, the site is only allowed a quota from Ordnance Survey and is replaced by an old map once it is reached - usually in the evening - so better to view earlier in the day).

I'd do the following route:

1. Folders Lane to Ditchling Common
2. Walk across the common to the south-east corner where you pick up the Sussex Border Path.
3. This runs south, parallel to Common Lane. Follow until that path briefly turns west and another continues southwards. Take that one
4. That meanders southwards and comes out near East End Lane.
5. Take east End lane down to Lewes Road.
6. Turn east down Lewes Road.
7. Look for another footpath that runs south from it not too far along.
8. Follow this path to Westmeston - it is virtually straight and is believed to be an old coffin path.
9. When you reach Westmeston follow the main road to the point where it turns due east.
10. Continue southwards and follow the bridleway until you reach the top of the Downs.
11. Where that bridleway joins the South Downs Way turn briefly west then look for another bridleway to the south. Take that
12. Follow this bridleway south-eastwards to St Mary's Farm.
13. When it reaches the farm follow the surfaced road which will take you into the village of Falmer.

The distance is 7.7 miles starting from the Keymer Road/Folders Lane junction.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling Common Lane was one of my running routes when I was fit enough to run a marathon, so I know what the paths are like. I just need to work out the easiest path to get up on to the Downs, be that at Jack & Jill or at Ditchling Beacon. Or in between.

ditchling common lane was one of my running routes when i was fit enough to run a marathon, so i know what the paths are like. I just need to work out the easiest path to get up on to the downs, be that at jack & jill or at ditchling beacon. Or in between.

i would take the jack and jill option easy walk from those to the beacon:wink:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I just need to work out the easiest path to get up on to the Downs, be that at Jack & Jill or at Ditchling Beacon. Or in between.

There aren't any, they all require some degree of steep climb. Rule of thumb is the more of a zigzag they are the better - if the path goes straight that'll be a hard climb. Those that run at angles are also a little easier.

1. The one at Clayton leading up to Jack and Jill is very steep, I've been down it though not up. I'd avoid that.
2. The next one to the east is south of Lodge Farm where they are two both of which are pretty steep.
3. The next one to the east is Burnthouse Bostall which isn't bad but runs in a westward angle up the slope and would require you to turn back eastwards.
4. After that is a small footpath next to the road going up to Ditchling Beacon which is steep in places but follows the curves of the contours as it heads up to the Beacon.
5. A bridleway runs parallel to the road on the eastern side and also follows the contours but has a steep section towards the top of the slope.
6. Then you have the bridleway from Westmeston which zigzags up and is pretty easy going.
7. There's another bridleway heading up east of Westmeston that goes to Streat Hill and isn't too bad - once at the top you can head southwards direct to Falmer via St Mary's Farm.

To be honest having walked the area quite frequently the route I gave earlier on is probably the one I'd take if I was walking from Burgess Hill as you're generally moving in a south-easterly direction most of the time. You'll also have to factor in that once on the Downs and once you head south from the South Downs Way you will be going up and down quite regularly when heading southwards.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
My brother led the way from Withdean, haven't a clue on the route but we went up and down quite a lot and passed an asda. Took an hour and at a guess 4-5 miles

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ditchling Common Lane was one of my running routes when I was fit enough to run a marathon, so I know what the paths are like. I just need to work out the easiest path to get up on to the Downs, be that at Jack & Jill or at Ditchling Beacon. Or in between.

jack and Jill pub to the SDW is easy.....upwards !

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
My wife and I walked from Devil's Dyke (along the South Downs Way to Ditchling Beacon then dropping down to the Amex via Stanmer) for the Blackpool game last season. The weather was glorious, you get teasing glimpses of the stadium on the approach, we got to the WSU in time for two pints that tasted very well-earned and then we won 6-1. I'm tempted to do it for Blackpool again on Easter Monday, but I'm also thinking that we could do with a similar result against Charlton tomorrow and it may be my lucky walk...

The first 77 bus up to Devil's Dyke from Brighton should give enough time for most people to walk to Falmer for 3 o'clock, but whether it's a forced march that gets you there just in time for kick-off or a comfortable stroll with drinking time will depend on fitness, walking speed, familiarity with the route, etc.

There's also the 79 bus to Ditchling Beacon that gives a shorter and easier option, with less risk of missing the match if someone twists an ankle or something.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right. The sun is shining, it's my day off: I'm going to attempt this today. If you don't hear from me this evening, I've got badly lost :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right, well I did the walk yesterday, according to Mapometer, it's 8.4 miles from Burgess Hill Station to the Amex.

I went along Keymer Road to Ockley Lane, through Hassocks to Keymer, then down Lodge Lane, straight across New Road to Underhill Lane, at which point I was faced with a decision as to how I climbed Ditchling Beacon. I opted against the footpath that runs alongside the Beacon Road, and instead went up Burnt House Bostal and pretty much straight up the scarp to the South Downs Way path along the top.

Not sure I'd recommend climbing the Beacon that way if you were after a leisurely stroll to a game, as it's bloody steep and you'd get a bit of a sweat on. It's definitely more of a climb than a walk. Or a fall back down the hill. I just couldn't be bothered with all the winding paths along the proper path. I'm sure somebody knows a better route :)

Once on the South Downs Way, it's a short stroll to the car park on top of the Beacon with its views of the Amex and resident ice cream van (yes, yes I did). I crossed over the Beacon Road to the east, and after few hundred metres along there, forked left, followed a footpath down across some fields which eventually took me through St Mary's Farm, past Sussex University and out on to the Ridgeway, past where the Albion currently train, eventually popping out in the northern half of Falmer village.

All in all, it took me about three hours, and whilst hardly power-walking, I thought I was going at a reasonable pace, so I'm a bit surprised at the suggestion earlier on this thread that their mate had done it in just under two. What are they, an Olympic 50k walker?

Very pleasant walk, all in all, if you have the time and the inclination. Particularly in springtime. I might have gone quicker if I hadn't spent a good few minutes admiring the carpet of bluebells in the woodland along Ockley Lane. I love bluebells, me. Glorious sight and smell :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Right, well I did the walk yesterday, according to Mapometer, it's 8.4 miles from Burgess Hill Station to the Amex.

I went along Keymer Road to Ockley Lane, through Hassocks to Keymer, then down Lodge Lane, straight across New Road to Underhill Lane, at which point I was faced with a decision as to how I climbed Ditchling Beacon. I opted against the footpath that runs alongside the Beacon Road, and instead went up Burnt House Bostal and pretty much straight up the scarp to the South Downs Way path along the top.

Not sure I'd recommend climbing the Beacon that way if you were after a leisurely stroll to a game, as it's bloody steep and you'd get a bit of a sweat on. It's definitely more of a climb than a walk. Or a fall back down the hill. I just couldn't be bothered with all the winding paths along the proper path. I'm sure somebody knows a better route :)

Once on the South Downs Way, it's a short stroll to the car park on top of the Beacon with its views of the Amex and resident ice cream van (yes, yes I did). I crossed over the Beacon Road to the east, and after few hundred metres along there, forked left, followed a footpath down across some fields which eventually took me through St Mary's Farm, past Sussex University and out on to the Ridgeway, past where the Albion currently train, eventually popping out in the northern half of Falmer village.

All in all, it took me about three hours, and whilst hardly power-walking, I thought I was going at a reasonable pace, so I'm a bit surprised at the suggestion earlier on this thread that their mate had done it in just under two. What are they, an Olympic 50k walker?

Very pleasant walk, all in all, if you have the time and the inclination. Particularly in springtime. I might have gone quicker if I hadn't spent a good few minutes admiring the carpet of bluebells in the woodland along Ockley Lane. I love bluebells, me. Glorious sight and smell :)

Bless you....buss home?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Train. I had contemplated walking back, but had developed a fairly monstrous blister on one heel by the time I arrived at the Amex, so I chickened out.

Lovely sunny day for it all though. Just me & the wildlife.

e5aqutum.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
ajy9ujar.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here