Walking from Lands End to John O groats

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didnt Beefy Botham do this in the 80's/90's

Indeed :thumbsup:

"And if there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system, then, it's Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say "that's what I think of your selection policy, yes I've hit the odd copper, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you piss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some spastics."

david_brent_111.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to recall John Lees, former BBC Southern Counties (was probably BBC Radio Sussex back then) Albion expert, used to do that kind of thing a lot.

I have a feeling he once walked, Forrest Gump style, across America.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Haha! BoF have a look athe excellent link I pmd you and when you have digested it all give me a shout.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Nibs,

My mate Dan (you would have met him at my wedding) cycled from Rottingdean to Sydney!

Took him 18 months and he nearly died twice - once of dysentary in Iran!!

He lost 15llbs in one day in the Oz outback..

He'd be worth meeting up with a beer with to talk endurance...

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
If you were really serious about it then yeah, I'd like that. I wouldn't be leaving til May 2011. If you leave in May and do LEJOG you get the Spring in the warm south and the summer in the colder north and sun on your back. Of course this depends on the weather!

Make sure you're back in time for the opening game of the season at the Falmer Theatre of Dreams. :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
According to Wiki-Run, John Lees still holds the record for the fastest walk across America, coast to coast.

List of runs across America - WikiRun

John Lees 1972 53.5 days 2876 miles LA to NYC

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Botham :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibs,

My mate Dan (you would have met him at my wedding) cycled from Rottingdean to Sydney!

Took him 18 months and he nearly died twice - once of dysentary in Iran!!

He lost 15llbs in one day in the Oz outback..

He'd be worth meeting up with a beer with to talk endurance...

I've been for many a beer with you , I know all about endurance. Yeah that would be cool, can you, in the parlance of our times, "Hook me up"?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you were really serious about it then yeah, I'd like that. I wouldn't be leaving til May 2011. If you leave in May and do LEJOG you get the Spring in the warm south and the summer in the colder north and sun on your back. Of course this depends on the weather!

Bear in mind that midges can be bad in Scotland in the summer not good for walking and camping in some places

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I have done the south downs way on my bike and in the summer will be riding from lands end to Bournemouth but John o groats to lands end is a biggy. What about the coast of Britain that is a popular one - about 5000 miles

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
5000 miles would probably take more time than I have tbh though what a walk that would be. Also, I prefer rolling countryside to coastal walks. After researching the end To End walk I am galvanised into doing it and have cleared a 3 month stretch to do it starting next May. God help me!

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
It will be great - have thought about it myself. Much better than when some celeb does it for charity with a 10 man support team in the luxury support bus. You will learn a lot about yourself - good luck

I seem to recall John Lees, former BBC Southern Counties (was probably BBC Radio Sussex back then) Albion expert, used to do that kind of thing a lot.

I have a feeling he once walked, Forrest Gump style, across America.
Yep. It took him from 11 April to 3 June, in 1972 (54 days).

In fact ...
John Lees from the UK holds the record for the fastest walk across America - 2628 km in 53 days 12 hours 15 minutes between 11 April (the eleventh of April) and 3 June (the third of June).

And, rather curiously, that quote is from the BBC website, on a page dedicated to teaching English. The lesson is that you can only hold records in sport, you do not keep them, unlike a computer, which can both hold and keep records.

Learning English | BBC World Service

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd like to do it but much better the other way round with the sun in front of you and escaping the midges. Or perhaps cape wrath to falmer instead.

It will be great - have thought about it myself. Much better than when some celeb does it for charity with a 10 man support team in the luxury support bus. You will learn a lot about yourself - good luck
I used to work with someone who did a charity BUS ride, from Lewes to John O'Groats, using only local buses (no long-distance or luxury coaches).

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
it's been somewhat of a goal of mine to do this, however can never find the time and the funding. best of luck and hope you have a great time! i remember reading something like the south west coast path in the west country is something like 4x the length of climbing mt everest. amazing. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports