Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wales

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
www.cardiffcity.com

Click on 'Message Board' top left. No registration needed.

An excellent piece has just been posted on the board concerning the policing and the trouble in Italy. The author calls himself 'Bluetide'. Take a look. It's good stuff.

LB I think as someone else has already said, the actions and views of the Cardiff hooligan element has influenced a lot of the ill feeling towards the Welsh national side on here and with a lot of England fans nowdays. I personally would like to see Wales at the finals next Summer (certainly would be interesting if we were to play you) and felt a bit sorry for the decent fans such as yourself afer your result yesterday.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
LB I think as someone else has already said, the actions and views of the Cardiff hooligan element has influenced a lot of the ill feeling towards the Welsh national side on here and with a lot of England fans nowdays. I personally would like to see Wales at the finals next Summer (certainly would be interesting if we were to play you) and felt a bit sorry for the decent fans such as yourself afer your result yesterday.

This sort of follows on from the 'Gary Lineker' thread. I can fully understand people's feelings towards out hooligan element, but unfortunately the rest of us get tarred with the same brush due to their activities. We are in a pretty poor situation because we have a hooligan minority that is much bigger and more violent than most other clubs' hooligan minorities.

The decent fans amongst our support (ie: the vast majority) have been suffering as a result of the actions of these idiots for decades. And the same thing happens to decent England fans when they travel abroad.

We took over 8,000 fans to Italy and there was very little trouble by the sound of it. Which is very good news.

As for our national team's efforts, I think most Welsh fans are realistic about who we are and what we are capable of. If our best 11 are fit and available we are capable of giving anyone a game, but as soon as we lose a couple of players we're stuffed. And yesterday we were quite literally stuffed!

It says plenty about our team that our highest-rated defender plays for Cardiff! We can't expect miracles!

You never know, we might squeeze through in a play-off if we get a decent draw, but I won't be holding my breath. But whatever else happens from now on, the night we beat Italy at the Millennium Stadium will still live long in the memory!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I have to support Wales in football and rugby, though obviously support England as well. Don't ask me what I'd do in an England vs Wales match. Family ties me to Wales yet I hardly feel Welsh - any of you who spoke to me at the meetup know that I have about as much of a Welsh accent as David Jason.

Wales is very idyllic in areas. Just don't go to Alway in Newport. :shootself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Italian Police and stewardship is totally inept.

A friend of mine went to the MUFC v Inter quarter-final in the season they won the Champions League and they got in the ground at half time having queued for two hours just to get in the ground.

Not sure how the hooligan bit will ever be resolved at present whist Mr Hamann owns the club - he seems to be a bit too close to it all for my liking.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Beach Hut said:
Not sure how the hooligan bit will ever be resolved at present whist Mr Hamann owns the club - he seems to be a bit too close to it all for my liking.

From a distance it will almost certainly appear that way. But the truth is that more has been done to combat Cardiff's hooligan problem during Hammam's reign than has been done in the previous 20 years.

Since his arrival we've seen numerous safety improvements to the ground and the car park, the introduction of a membership scheme for away travel, a much-improved relationship between the club and the police, and a large number of banning orders issued to known hooligans (the highest number of any club in the country last year).

Most importantly, we have the prospect of a new ground - something the local force is very keen on because Ninian Park is a nightmare to police.

Hammam's methods have often appeared controversial, but he has certainly had more success in dealing with the hooligan problem than all of his predecessors put together.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let's hope so, clearly things are happening in the background which we don't see or hear off.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Bluebird if your happy being British why is your Av taking the piss out of our Queen ?
What about the l;ovely Welsh chaps who burn down the English homes ?
The nice greetings you get in the Valleys ?
Why do we have to pay to enter and don't charge you lot getting out ?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
oapdodge said:
Bluebird if your happy being British why is your Av taking the piss out of our Queen ?
What about the l;ovely Welsh chaps who burn down the English homes ?
The nice greetings you get in the Valleys ?
Why do we have to pay to enter and don't charge you lot getting out ?

I'm more than happy to be British. I'm proud to be British.

Queen Elizabeth II is British. I am a British subject (it says so on my passport). Therefore, I am perfectly entitled to take the piss out of MY nation's monarch if I so desire. Just as the Sex Pistols were entitled to back in 1977. Remember them? One Irishman, three Englishmen, and not a Welshman in sight.....

Welshmen burning down English homes? Where? When did that last happen? What decade are you living in?

And what valleys are you talking about exactly?

As for the bridge tolls, the money is collected on your side of the water you daft twat!

Come on, try to keep up.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are all British for feck's sake - good thing Home Internationals have finished though :lolol: :lolol:

TLB - still chuckle at the ditty on Not The Nine O'clock News - laid in Wales !

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
LB, I feel stupid just posting on this thread. Some of the wankers who use this board have let us down like your hooligan element let you down.

But, I want to say I'm genuinely disappointed you lost. I'd love to see Wales do well. Obviously being 100% English, England will always matter a great deal more, but I'd be well chuffed to see you guys there next year.

There are however two things I have against the Welsh:
i/ Although I accept the hooligan element as a minority of Cardiff supporters, my one visit to Ninian Park was still the worst experience I've had at football. Being told to "f*** off you poof" by a 11/12yr old girl while her Dad egged her on summed it up really.
ii/ The anti-Englishness. Even the decent supporters of Wales want us to lose, every game. There's quite a few Welsh people here at So'ton Uni, and during the World Cup last year they were a joke. Every single one of them that I saw genuinely loved seeing us lose. One of them used the line "You're all my mates, and as much as I don't want to see you all upset, I've been brought up to hate the English". As you said, we're all British.

Not a dig at you, but this is exactly where it comes from, from the rest of the English. If you can forgive the way some of them post it...

And as for telling us that it's a "revelation" that hooliganism doesn't just exist in Cardiff, how about the English and Welsh FA's join forces and campaign to UEFA together...

Last edited:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
The mess that the money men are making of the game is an absolute disgrace.
Reverting to the matter of the San Siro match, I was impressed by the massive banner that stretched the full width of one of the stands - demanding that the money men leave football alone and an end to pay TV.

They'd never allow that at an English international match!

Wilts said:
Wales is very idyllic in areas. Just don't go to Alway in Newport.
Why ever not? I played some of the best football of my youth at Alway.

:)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
Reverting to the matter of the San Siro match, I was impressed by the massive banner that stretched the full width of one of the stands - demanding that the money men leave football alone and an end to pay TV.

They'd never allow that at an English international match!
I saw that as well. Very impressive.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to do much to Italian football given the mess they're in. There are real problems there.

As for Wales, I still think they can win it. Italy have to get a draw at S&M and that's not going to be a cake-walk. But even if they get runner-up, that's a fair achievement for such a small country.

I think it would be great if England, Scotland, Wales and Republic of Ireland all got through to the finals - it would be one big party.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
From a distance it will almost certainly appear that way. But the truth is that more has been done to combat Cardiff's hooligan problem during Hammam's reign than has been done in the previous 20 years.

Since his arrival we've seen numerous safety improvements to the ground and the car park, the introduction of a membership scheme for away travel, a much-improved relationship between the club and the police, and a large number of banning orders issued to known hooligans (the highest number of any club in the country last year).

Most importantly, we have the prospect of a new ground - something the local force is very keen on because Ninian Park is a nightmare to police.

Hammam's methods have often appeared controversial, but he has certainly had more success in dealing with the hooligan problem than all of his predecessors put together.

Safety improvements to the car park? Would that be the ones where your stewards direct visiting fans to park as far from the ground that you can possibly get so the ambushes are in place after the game and have no police protecting mothers, kids and elderly visiting fans from physical and verbal abuse? Don't say it doesn't happen because I've experienced it first hand on our last two visits. The last time we were spat at and threatened by fathers and their kids (young girls included) calling us English ****s. Nice! Just how the hell can Hammam purge such inbred hatred?

As for Hammam's efforts to control hooliganism? I'm sorry but that is a joke-the twat is part of the problem. He still associates with your hooligans and had at least one working for him despite knowing what the guy was.

You may be a decent supporter LB but please don't continually defend the indefensible-your club may have banned more hooligans than any other club but that is a fairly simple thing to do considering how many you had to start with.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Sounds like they did well up until that period in the second half, lapse of concentration and before you know it 3 goals in 11 minutes, game set and match. Play offs their best hope now.

I thoght they battled well. Suprised Hartson didn't attempt to eat anyone as he looked quite hungry.

If the Serbs can turn over the italians then the taffs may have a chance.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was happy to see the welsh beaten only because a mate of mine likes to pretend he's welsh when they are doing well and says he's English when they are not.

The second half performance showed just how poor th team really is, they don't seem to play as a unit when the going gets tough.
I don't like Italy but i'm glad they stuck it up the welsh.

As regards to the fans behaviour i find it very annoying that they only showed the actions of the welsh fans, at one point you clearly saw a guy havinga go at the the police (physically) and pointing out exactly what happened to that women who got knocked out.
How Italy have never been threatened woth expulsion from the Euro championships i'll never know, the kind of things that happened on saturday happens at every home match they have. Obviously the age old 'they don't tkae trouble away with them' excuse is going to be heard but that is bullshit when people are being attacked insdie a stadium where they raelly should be safe.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
dave the gaffer said:
hahahahahahahahahahaha

what a load of old pony

Italia

Italia

Get back to the alsorans and neverwases boyo's....no offence Laughing Bluebird!!!
a

Spot on. Well please to see them get stuffed. Just goes to show they are a piss poor footballing nation who thought they were world beaters just beacuse they had a couple of ok results

:D

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I'm Brian and so is my wife said:
Safety improvements to the car park? Would that be the ones where your stewards direct visiting fans to park as far from the ground that you can possibly get so the ambushes are in place after the game and have no police protecting mothers, kids and elderly visiting fans from physical and verbal abuse? Don't say it doesn't happen because I've experienced it first hand on our last two visits. The last time we were spat at and threatened by fathers and their kids (young girls included) calling us English ****s. Nice! Just how the hell can Hammam purge such inbred hatred?

As for Hammam's efforts to control hooliganism? I'm sorry but that is a joke-the twat is part of the problem. He still associates with your hooligans and had at least one working for him despite knowing what the guy was.

You may be a decent supporter LB but please don't continually defend the indefensible-your club may have banned more hooligans than any other club but that is a fairly simple thing to do considering how many you had to start with.

The car park area has been greatly improved since your last visit (which was nearly two years ago). The whole area is now paved, there are new floodlights and CCTV cameras all over the place, and away supporters now have a seperate section to themselves, which is situated as close to the away end as possible and is fenced off from the rest of the car park.

It is clear from your comments that your opinions are based on incidents which took place several years ago - you obviously know next to nothing about the measures that Sam Hammam and Cardiff City Football Club have since taken in their attempts to get our considerable hooligan problem under control.

You seem to be very keen to criticise Hammam, despite your apparent ignorance of the facts. Let me ask you a question - if you were Sam Hammam, what would you do to combat Cardiff City's hooligan problem?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If i was Sam Hamman i would not employ ex soul crew members to be my bodyguard, I would not have my picture taken with them and i would not incite opposition fans by doing a lap of honour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here