Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
No problems at all with this

View attachment 160475
1683218854606.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wonder if the turnout will be higher, as people go off to try out using ID.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm going to test my driving licence at the polling station tonight.

I'll see if some jumped up little Hitler decrees that the photo isn't me.

It was good enough to hire a car 6 days ago. Lol.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
estimates based on research before consulation, before list of accepted ID balloned from driver ID and passport, to 20+ other forms. maybe the consultation worked. :shrug:
I identified my source as The FT. I shall challenge them for a correction on your behalf.

Bloody lefty rag.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Right. How do they know they have no intention of voting? What's to stop them changing their mind? Lots of people say they won't vote but do?

If what you're suggesting has actually happened, how could there not be one upheld allegation of fraud at the last council election, as per the image recently posted.

I put it to you, that you just made that story about activists up with absolutely nothing to back it up
I don't need you to put anything to me,....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm going to test my driving licence at the polling station tonight.

I'll see if some jumped up little Hitler decrees that the photo isn't me.

It was good enough to hire a car 6 days ago. Lol.
Well they let me vote with my id but some herbert did ask for my polling card outside. Not sure what that was about but I informed them that I didn't need it. Lol.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well they let me vote with my id but some herbert did ask for my polling card outside. Not sure what that was about but I informed them that I didn't need it. Lol.
So they can tick you off as voting and you won't get bothered later on

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I doubt though that whatever law introduced the need for ID in those countries was introduced by a government with such a shameful record of duplicitous dishonesty as this one. Nor was it accompanied with restrictions which would obviously make it easier for their target demographic to vote than the oppositions target demographic.

The widespread cynicism seen here and elsewhere is entirely justified.
Italy for example when ID was introduced by the facsist regime in 1931 ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
These are things many people feel, which is why a lot of people think voter ID is 'fair enough'.

However, the actual data suggests that we do not have a problem with voter fraud, while there are many dangers in requiring voter ID (already discussed at length in this thread).

So you're bringing in something that creates a lot of problems, to solve a perceived problem that didn't actually exist.
How would we know if there was voter ID fraud if you don't need to show ID.
Many if not most polling clerks don't work in the ward they live so wouldn't know. What's to stop me going to my brothers ward while he is on holiday and voting for him. Who would know ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
That was a party political worker, not an official, wanting to tick you off the list to save them knocking on your door later to persuade you to vote for them.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I just wonder if those who genuinely think that the Conservative Party introduced this measure to strengthen our democracy would like to proceed to the Nobby Cybergoat emporium of magic beans in Hove, (no photo ID needed, but bring all your cash)

This is a measure introduced by a government in so in admiration of the US Republican Party, it's copying their methods. It's a government so mired in sleaze, scandal and dishonesty, how can anyone truly believe it has honourable intentions when it makes changes to the voting system?

It's a government, miles behind in the polls, introducing a desperate poll rigging measure, probably less to achieve results, but more a kite flying exercise to see if it will get away with more draconian adherence to the Republican playbook in future attempts.

Question, if you believe them? Why did it not stand on this issue at the last election if it was that concerned? Why the distinction between ID requirements for old and young?
You've not addressed my point. The three highest ranking countries in the world use voter ID.

I agree about the government btw, but this is not out of the ordinary, it brings us into line with other countries.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Congratulations to the Tories for being the first Government in history to try and rig an election and still getting their arses kicked

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I went in with polling card and driving license photo card. At first table a woman asked to see my ID, but didn't ask either my name or to see polling card. Then went on to second table and confirmed name and address, where the bloke did the usual crossing my name off the list and handing over my ballot. At no point was there any cross reference between the name on my ID or the name and address I gave to get my ballot.

Is it a case that my local polling station got the ID checking procedure completely wrong? If not, it seemed a completely pointless exercise.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Couple of points on this at our polling station in Leek there was someone on the door asking have you bought photo i/d before you were allowed in and secondly although i took my driver's licence i have probably like many other forms of photo i/d one of which is a Staffordshire CC safe guarding badge and i took that to ask if this would be acceptable ? After speaking with two polling clerk's one said yes and the other no, nothing like a bit of confusion.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Couple of points on this at our polling station in Leek there was someone on the door asking have you bought photo i/d before you were allowed in and secondly although i took my driver's licence i have probably like many other forms of photo i/d one of which is a Staffordshire CC safe guarding badge and i took that to ask if this would be acceptable ? After speaking with two polling clerk's one said yes and the other no, nothing like a bit of confusion.
I had the same experience, I immediately asked them for their ID, clerks should not be outside the building.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Interesting report on the impact/effect in the local elections.

Guardian article about it.

From the poisonous rag you linked,

"Turnout was marginally lower than in comparable previous ballots and, according to the commission’s research, the ID requirement accounted for 4% of absences. That might not seem like a lot, but when extrapolated to a national ballot, it threatens to silence hundreds of thousands of voices."

So 4% is the level of fraud prevented then? Good job done although mail-in votes are the main source of fraud but cant expect the clowns in power to get anything right.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

"Turnout was marginally lower than in comparable previous ballots and, according to the commission’s research, the ID requirement accounted for 4% of absences. That might not seem like a lot, but when extrapolated to a national ballot, it threatens to silence hundreds of thousands of voices."

So 4% is the level of fraud prevented then? Good job done although mail-in votes are the main source of fraud but cant expect the clowns in power to get anything right.

Err no, it's not 4% fraud prevented, it's 4% of voters who couldn't vote that wanted to. Doesn't mean the whole 4% wanted to commit fraud. :facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So, you're political persusion is evidenced by a) your reference to the Guardian and b) You either chose to lie about the 4% figure to try to validate the governments vaccuous argument for introducing voter id in the first place or you're just too stupid to understand it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very sensibly and reasonably they've included a far greater ronge of acceptable documents than those demanded by private companies do for various 'reasoms- - like selling or scrapping your car, for example. For instance, bus psses and other travel passes are allowed. Full list here:
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id
Not a problem, nor is it election rigging by excluding any particular party's voters. Not a problem (not necesssry either - but nothing worth making a fuss or political points about!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here