Virgo on BBC South Today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
The bearded one said something along the lines of "Maybe we need someone in now who will tell people when they are doing something wrong" and "Maybe the club should bring in someone with a big name/lots of experience".

Do we take this to mean that Slade was SOFT? Because although he came accross as a nice, genuine guy. He always struck me as someone who could dish out a bollocking when needed.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
The bearded one said something along the lines of "Maybe we need someone in now who will tell people when they are doing something wrong" and "Maybe the club should bring in someone with a big name/lots of experience".

Do we take this to mean that Slade was SOFT? Because although he came accross as a nice, genuine guy. He always struck me as someone who could dish out a bollocking when needed.

Sounds to me like the players want someone they can look up to and be sure where they stand. Like his beard I have to say :thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Slade didnt command respect. Was to bothered about being liked. How can you respect someone wearing a stupid bloody cap. Will always be a lower league manager with his image

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He hardly let people know they were screwing up, as he should as captain.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hang your head in shame Mr Virgo....

Sort of link between the players and the manager

YOU aid DISCIPLINE
YOU command the team on the pitch
YOU LEAD BY EXAMPLE

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
If Adam Virgo can't realise that letting in daft goals and losing football matches is doing something wrong then I think maybe he's the one who needs changing.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Virgo should be crapping himself about any new manager that comes in, if his form continues he will be one of the first ones out and as for being captain...

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Hang your head in shame Mr Virgo....

Sort of link between the players and the manager

YOU aid DISCIPLINE
YOU command the team on the pitch
YOU LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Exactly.

Crap captain. If an ex-player like Mayo can talk with passion about "pinning players up against the wall", what is wrong with Virgo and where has all the passion and drive he showed first time around disappeared to. It's like when Adams came back, all the fire in his belly had gone.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sounds as though he's trying to blame someone other than himself and his team mates to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Virgo should be crapping himself about any new manager that comes in, if his form continues he will be one of the first ones out and as for being captain...

Particularly if it's Coppell who didn't rate him when he was here before and tried to ship him out.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
he missed the bit out saying playing like a complete bunch of tosspots really dosent help a managers situation

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This needs to stop right now, whilst the players must take some responsibility for Slade going they're certainly not deliberately playing badly, they obviosuly lack confidence and with threads like this you can see why, why not support the boys for a change??

So - that suggests that whatever Slade said on the radio - he was incapable of repeating it to the people who needed telling??
Hard to believe that, but I suppose the evidence was there in Virgo's useless role as 'captain'.

HOW are football managers so inept? It defies belief - I mean even a Withdean steward could tell those players what the f*** they are doing wrong and what to change when they are trying to get tap-ins in packed areas and nod-ins at the far post vs a 7ft keeper!

Football management must be piss-easy, but most of them doing it are dumbarses - and the players are too thick to figure a lot of it out themselves.

Really, it says that comparatively, Wilkins was a genius ringmaster but working with an almost un-trainable bunch of dub animals.

Last edited:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Virgo can F right off. He has annoyed me for most of this season with his abject performances, but even more Saturday...stupid beard, warming up (with Dean Cox) in unnecessary gloves, both laughing and joking around. Yes I know that sounds petty but that's where I have got to personally with one or two of these players. Are we expected to believe that Slade didn't tell players where they were going wrong? That he was a soft touch. I doubt that very much. This is just Virgo trying to cast himself in a better light for the next manager, and get the fans off his back. Only one thing will do that though, starting to look like a bloody footballer. He can try that somewhere else far as I'm concerned.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Virgo can F right off. He has annoyed me for most of this season with his abject performances, but even more Saturday...stupid beard, warming up (with Dean Cox) in unnecessary gloves, both laughing and joking around. Yes I know that sounds petty but that's where I have got to personally with one or two of these players. Are we expected to believe that Slade didn't tell players where they were going wrong? That he was a soft touch. I doubt that very much. This is just Virgo trying to cast himself in a better light for the next manager, and get the fans off his back. Only one thing will do that though, starting to look like a bloody footballer. He can try that somewhere else far as I'm concerned.

Agreed - I would like to think that the likes of Oatway and Mayo's comments persuade the likes of Virgs to reflect on their part of this weeks events. Some of the players should also be careful of what they wish for, they may have prompted Bloom to bring in a ruthless new era.

It just grates, to have any player express that sort of opinion.

"so, Jimmy Page - why was your guitar playing so awful and the rest of Led Zeppelin total shite on this tour?"
"well, it was because of our poor manager, who couldn't tell us we were playing badly"

On your bike Virgo, there's not one squeak you should emit about Slade's dismissal - it sticks in the craw a bit too easily coming from a player (and especially the captain)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports