Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin to Sky

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can never find ANY films I like on Netflix. There's like, hardly anything. Lovefilm is the way to go.

I sometimes manage to log on to the US version of Netflix (by changing the DNS settings on my XBox) and there is a much bigger selection of decent films.

But the good thing about Netflix is the series - I've just re-watched the first 24, first Prison Break, all of Ultimate Force ( sad I know ) and am currently working my way through all the Spooks.

Yes I've found some great TV series too, House of Cards was really good, so looking forward to the next episodes appearing next year.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I've just switched from Sky to Virgin. Was fairly happy with the Sky service but the cost was getting ridiculous. Got an offer through work to get practically the same package with Virgin including an extra HD box and a free tablet and for half the price.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The difference between ITV and Sky is that ITV is free to air. Sky subscriptions are pretty much going into the coffers of Murdoch and would be entirely if the hacking scandal had materialised to scupper his takeover of the whole thing. Their shareholding in ITV was merely a blocking move to stop NTL/Branson taking over ITV and is only about 17%.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have always used BT for phone and broadband and by and large, it has always been pretty good - very few calls to India.

Two or three years ago I decided to have Sky (largely for the footie) but got pissed off with their charging, which included things I was never going to watch, so cancelled early this summer.

Having BT telephone and broadband I upgraded to fibre optic and took out BT Vision which gives me for free BT Sport (which is moderately crap) but have added SKY Sports 1 and 2 for £20 monthly which I have done and thereby get most of what I want for considerably less than paying anything directly to Sky.

Initial BT Vision Box charges around £50 but includes some decent channels and has record / iplayer etc. so happy with that.

Paying £67.45 for the lot which is considerably less than I would be paying any other way for what I want though others may differ.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Have today decided to switch TV, phone and broadband to Sky after about 9 years with Virgin.

I've taken a package which includes the full TV bundle, sports and movies, multi room, sky go, broadband unlimited and talk anytime with 0845 numbers. It's costing £62 pm for the first 6 months which seems a pretty good deal. (Goes up a bit after that but will cancel the sports as will be end of season)

What are other people's experiences with Sky like having switched from Virgin?

i was with sky for years. went virgin and couldn't get back quick enough. virgin broadband was crap - even when they put to 100meg!! yhe only real benefit was recording 3 channels at the same time. sky is much more user friendly. you get get the odd interference when the weather is bad, but then i had them issues with virgin too.

i personally think sky is far better - good luck

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I've just gone in the opposite direction, after Sky wanted up to £500 for two new boxes which were on their last legs. We signed up to a similar-sounding deal to your Sky package - the lure of new customers is obviously a big incentive for these companies to offer that little bit extra. The guy who installed it said it was quite common for people to switch, similar to car insurance, mobile phones that sort of thing. We were with Sky for ages and to be fair they are pretty good. Not had a chance to check out too much of the TV, but there seems to be more On Demand/Catchup TV, more space to record (up to three channels, too) and the broadband is far superior to Sky.

I think all these packages/companies even themselves out and no doubt one day we'll be back to giving Murdoch or someone else some cash. I remember the dark days of NTL, with whom I had a shocking customer experience. I'm hoping for better with Virgin.

i went to virgin on the promise that their broadband was better. for me it was far worse, even after they put it up to 100meg!!!

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
The Broadband was my only slight concern as it's Sky Broadband Unlimited rather than Fibre. Is this still okay for speed in terms of general browsing, playing x box online etc?

my son could hardly play his xbox online with virgin but has no problems with sky

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i was with sky for years. went virgin and couldn't get back quick enough. virgin broadband was crap - even when they put to 100meg!! yhe only real benefit was recording 3 channels at the same time. sky is much more user friendly. you get get the odd interference when the weather is bad, but then i had them issues with virgin too.

i personally think sky is far better - good luck

i went to virgin on the promise that their broadband was better. for me it was far worse, even after they put it up to 100meg!!!

my son could hardly play his xbox online with virgin but has no problems with sky

I'd suggest there was a problem with the fibre then. I had a similar problem and reported it. Two days later fibre laying teams ran new fibre to my house from the local street box and everything was great.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I'd suggest there was a problem with the fibre then. I had a similar problem and reported it. Two days later fibre laying teams ran new fibre to my house from the local street box and everything was great.

they had their people out 5 times to try and sort it out. virgin let me leave them very early without penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here