Virgin media sold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Be interesting to see if any changes are made. Bought by some us cable giant liberty media.

Bet the prices won't go down, but I wonder if we will get sky Atlantic as virgin didn't take the chanell

:guitar:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Be interesting to see if any changes are made. Bought by some us cable giant liberty media.

Bet the prices won't go down, but I wonder if we will get sky Atlantic as virgin didn't take the chanell

:guitar:

Sky Atlantic was the only channel I missed when I switched from Sky to Virgin.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was only ever a naming excercise with Branson getting royalties and I think he had around 3% shares.

Probably a good move and some much needed investment on the way

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What does this mean for the customers?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Seems the new owner has had his run ins with Murdoch so no doubt the war that used to happen between Sky and Virgin will be back

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have UPC cable/phone/BB - UPC is the general trading name used by LGI. They're a VAST improvement over their predecessor - NTL.

Boxes (I've the HD+ unit) are a bit buggy but they have a new apparent Sky+ thrasher in testing, the Horizon - quad tuner.

There's no Sky Atlantic - its not yet available for cable firms in UK/Ireland. They have a very small number of channels Sky don't have (some decent enough movie ones mostly), an acceptable on demand service and the normal bundle comes with ESPN and Setanta included in the price.

BB starts at 50mbit/5mbit with no cap (lowest package) and goes to 150mbit, they have 440mbit in trials in a few areas though. Speeds are generally decent but their supplied router has dreadful wifi so you really need to attach a decent third party wifi unit, or use a wire.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have UPC cable/phone/BB - UPC is the general trading name used by LGI. They're a VAST improvement over their predecessor - NTL.

Boxes (I've the HD+ unit) are a bit buggy but they have a new apparent Sky+ thrasher in testing, the Horizon - quad tuner.

There's no Sky Atlantic - its not yet available for cable firms in UK/Ireland. They have a very small number of channels Sky don't have (some decent enough movie ones mostly), an acceptable on demand service and the normal bundle comes with ESPN and Setanta included in the price.

BB starts at 50mbit/5mbit with no cap (lowest package) and goes to 150mbit, they have 440mbit in trials in a few areas though. Speeds are generally decent but their supplied router has dreadful wifi so you really need to attach a decent third party wifi unit, or use a wire.

Disney maybe pulling the plug on ESPN UK but that shouldn't affect the rest of the ESPN America and ESPN Classic channels package.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Classic Branson, if you read Private Eye you will see his companies regularly feature. he is not very good with filing accounts and as such, quite often failing parts of the Virgin Empire will be propped up by the more successful until either sold off or quietly closed down. He is not averse to nailing his colours to the mast then sawing the mast down 5 minutes later.

It may be he has taken the business as far as he can or he wants some financial liquidity to prop up another part of the group.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Classic Branson, if you read Private Eye you will see his companies regularly feature. he is not very good with filing accounts and as such, quite often failing parts of the Virgin Empire will be propped up by the more successful until either sold off or quietly closed down. He is not averse to nailing his colours to the mast then sawing the mast down 5 minutes later.

It may be he has taken the business as far as he can or he wants some financial liquidity to prop up another part of the group.

Branson will only make £200M out of the deal with his shareholding in VM

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I doubt it's relevent but in my recent dealings with Virgin the customer service has certainly dipped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports