Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'm clearing out a load of my vinyl records. What's the best thing to do? Try to flog them on eBay? Take them to a shop? (if so, what's the best place in Brighton?) Sell them in one job lot or several smaller lots? Just give up and dump them in a charity shop?
What genre is it mainly? My Jnr wants to buy a record I bought for his dad about 15 years ago, it cost me £20 second hand at the time & as vinyl wasn't 'fashionable' at that time, I felt I'd been robbed. It's now £75 on Discogs, so i've told him to borrow his dads for a while. His dad can't play it anyway as Jnr has borrowed his decks & mixer! :laugh:
Have a look on Discogs to gauge the prices of what you have.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I have a pile of vinyl with no scratches. I was absolutely obsessed back in the day. And a bag full of cassettes of John Peel etc. Nothing to play them on now.

A retirement project will be to go through the casettes and make mp3s of the super rare shite, like never released Peel sessions from the 80s. There will be some simple kit that will plug into a laptop. I have a vinyl dec but it's a but crap and not plugged into an amp these days. All the vinyl is in the shed (safely stored).

That said....there is a website with thousands of hours of entire peel programmes to download, and youtube has thousands of individual sessions. I am told there are ways to download youtube stuff and MP3 it. Ahem.

Frankly I am so overwhelmed with new music I barely have time to hear my old stuff, except on iPod shuffle on the train and in the car.
There is a simple bit of kit that you can play back cassettes and put it onto MP3 on your laptop!!
I can only begin to imagine what your vinyl collection is like, I'd guess diverse! :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got lucky. I never tried to influence my kids on music, it just turned out that years later as we became mates each separately revealed they adored tons of the music they’d heard in the car or from my ‘study’ over the years. An eclectic mix, I’ve wide tastes. I received a wonderful surprise present recently where one bought me an Italo Disco 12” import through Discog, all the way from Germany. I first heard it in 1984 on a Cala Bassa ferry from San Antoniio, the missing piece in a genre jigsaw. Talk about kind hearted :smile:
Good parenting!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I got lucky. I never tried to influence my kids on music, it just turned out that years later as we became mates each separately revealed they adored tons of the music they’d heard in the car or from my ‘study’ over the years. An eclectic mix, I’ve wide tastes. I received a wonderful surprise present recently where one bought me an Italo Disco 12” import through Discog, all the way from Germany. I first heard it in 1984 on a Cala Bassa ferry from San Antoniio, the missing piece in a genre jigsaw. Talk about kind hearted :smile:
I was similar with mine. Two are into the stuff I like. The youngest is into pop and always says my music is crap. I just smile and hope he comes round sooner or later.

My oldest two love the Cure and are exploring their back catalogue through my records.

One thing I have always done it take an interest in what they like. Not so easy whe. It was imagine dragons etc. but my oldest loves his drum and bass (and sub genres) and I have enjoyed listening to his suggestions and sharing some of my vinyl from back in the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exciting isn’t it, all the wonderful new music, whilst in the backs of our minds the wealth of the old. Not enough hours in the day, optimism, escapism, music literally makes life wonderful!

So glad, all the way back to age 10, that I looked after my vinyls, even when drunk :lolol: . I’ve only ever damaged one, somehow Unknown Pleasures got an awful scratch, but had two copies so all was good.
Music is an endless seam that I’ll never be able to exhaust. There’s new music ahead, still plenty of undiscovered old music behind me, and new genres to explore to the sides. It does make life wonderful.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is a simple bit of kit that you can play back cassettes and put it onto MP3 on your laptop!!
I can only begin to imagine what your vinyl collection is like, I'd guess diverse! :smile:
Do those cassette to MPs work well? As in do they lose sound quality?

I guess it's a case of getting a decent one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was similar with mine. Two are into the stuff I like. The youngest is into pop and always says my music is crap. I just smile and hope he comes round sooner or later.

My oldest two love the Cure and are exploring their back catalogue through my records.

One thing I have always done it take an interest in what they like. Not so easy whe. It was imagine dragons etc. but my oldest loves his drum and bass (and sub genres) and I have enjoyed listening to his suggestions and sharing some of my vinyl from back in the day.

I’ve found lots of amazing artists and songs through my teens, some when they were younger than that, I love a hook, harmony, dance beat or melody. Sometimes we discover the same artists almost simultaneously through the youtube algorithms. Isn’t it lovely sharing music with them!

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

I've figured that as I put a cassette in my tape deck the other day from an old rave tape pack and it sounded like complete shite, it would be worth giving it a go.
To be fair I don't know if it was the cassette or the deck but the 2nd cassette didn't sound quite so bad. I was just glad that I could take it out in one piece rather than a tangled mess that I'd have to splice with sellotape like the good old days, when the top 10 became the top 8.5 after it was chewed up! :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No one I found in a second hand shop, the vinyl is ok but the sleeve and inner not so good. I think the copy my husband has is 1st addition as he bought when it was first released. That only get played on the Rega or Technics turntable. This copy is a newish heavy vinyl remaster.

View attachment 169799

What’s the sound quality of the deck like? Presumably a …
IMG_1079.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought 1200's were silver? 1210's are black. I'm only saying this because I'm a member of a Technics FB group & they're very pedantic and don't want people getting ripped off. (y)
Edit to add, the lid on @ozzygull 's deck would sell for £50

How long have you had any interest in HiFi? As an aspirational kid :smile: in about 1980, Technics could be kind of affordable, but they had a far more expensive other brand. Any ideas of the brand name?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I bought a half decent tape deck around '99-2000, its had little use, about 3 years ago I used a focusrite audio interface to record them all as WAV files . . . Along with 2 singles and a digitally recorded 16T reel demo, went to a studio and remixed/mastered everything . . .I was pleasantly suprised how well the tapes came out, a few gigs and some demos from my band mid 90's also sdome other oddities from late 80's and early 90's.

I had a loaf of inyl of my late step fathers last year, stuff I already had and oddities, I took them to the local record shop, we agreed 1on half the potential sale price . . . I took a credit note . . . Which I've spent!

re turntables . . . Rega P3 ( Sept '93 ) was £325. Sold last xmas in mint condition for £380. Replaced with a P6 . . . Which was a bit more 🙄

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
How long have you had any interest in HiFi? As an aspirational kid :smile: in about 1980, Technics could be kind of affordable, but they had a far more expensive other brand. Any ideas of the brand name?
Late 80's early 90's. I think it was about 1990 when I'd saved all my money and borrowed extra from my mum to buy an Aiwa separates system from Co-Op down London Road. I thought it was the dogs b**locks as it had a turntable that the cartridge would turn over and play the other side of the record & 5CD's. :lolol: Think is was'96 when I got my Marantz Amp and Wharfdale Diamond speakers which I also thought were amazing. I still have them today and only ditched the Marantz last year as it had a really annoying hum. I only got into Technics when I started to learn to mix in about 2003. I've still got the same pair I bought 2nd hand 20 years later and I'm still shite at mixing. 😁
I'd imagine it wasn't Aiwa, maybe Sony but probably not! :unsure:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Late 80's early 90's. I think it was about 1990 when I'd saved all my money and borrowed extra from my mum to buy an Aiwa separates system from Co-Op down London Road. I thought it was the dogs b**locks as it had a turntable that the cartridge would turn over and play the other side of the record & 5CD's. :lolol: Think is was'96 when I got my Marantz Amp and Wharfdale Diamond speakers which I also thought were amazing. I still have them today and only ditched the Marantz last year as it had a really annoying hum. I only got into Technics when I started to learn to mix in about 2003. I've still got the same pair I bought 2nd hand 20 years later and I'm still shite at mixing. 😁
I'd imagine it wasn't Aiwa, maybe Sony but probably not! :unsure:

In the 80’s Aiwa were fine and affordable. I remember reviews from Which? and WhatHifi. My oldest separate an Akai cassette deck, 40+ years old is sadly kaput.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I use one of these - it's excellent. I've converted some old multi-tracking songs I did back in the 80s to digital, and TBH on headphones direct from the laptop they sound better than ever! It works with vinyl too.

Apologies if my effort to put an image on here have failed - the link seems OK though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That looks interesting. I guess you still have to have the flat surface space (preferably dust free- so not the floor!) to put it on - but it tucks away neatly when not in use?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here