Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Vinyl records

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Project, aren’t they high end? I like the idea of the Project Debut Pro. Clearaudio Concept look simplistically beautiful.
They can be, but mine’s a really old entry level model. I just looked at the one you mention, very nice. Mine is nothing like that.

This said, my set up sounds good to my ears and has lasted. My speakers must be 25 years old now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regarding cassettes I have accumulated quite a collection as Sacred Bones provide a mixtape with every album sent via their subscription service. I bought a little tape player to listen to them.

I think my Akai HX-R5 has hit the end of the road. Last week I was looking at 80’s Nakamichi’s.

Can you still purchase new HiFi cassette decks?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think my Akai HX-R5 has hit the end of the road. Last week I was looking at 80’s Nakamichi’s.

Can you still purchase new HiFi cassette decks?
Indeed. We bought a small, but new, radio cassette player. The wife got it off Amazon I think. I have just looked and it seems you can also buy cassette desks as hifi components; range seems limited though. I had a couple back in the day, Technics and a Sharp I think. I remember having to clean the tape heads every so often with an alcohol solution and a cotton bud. Then there was that Dolby thing which got rid of hiss but muffled the sound.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. We bought a small, but new, radio cassette player. The wife got it off Amazon I think. I have just looked and it seems you can also buy cassette desks as hifi components; range seems limited though. I had a couple back in the day, Technics and a Sharp I think. I remember having to clean the tape heads every so often with an alcohol solution and a cotton bud. Then there was that Dolby thing which got rid of hiss but muffled the sound.

Yeah, I did all that, and meticulously looked after vinyls even as a drunk teen! Dolby was great at eliminating most hiss.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Do you have a quality HiFi set up?

My Technics deck lasted 35 years (bought when I was in the 6th form), when it broke I bought a Rega Planar 1 … great sound. I’ve still got a cassette deck.
How on earth did you manage to break a Technics deck? Asumming it was a 1210 or similar? :unsure:
Yes you can still buy cassette players & some of them have usb ports so you can record it to your pc if it's not likely to be found anywhere else on the net.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
But not a first issue of The Dark Side Of The Moon being played.
No one I found in a second hand shop, the vinyl is ok but the sleeve and inner not so good. I think the copy my husband has is 1st addition as he bought when it was first released. That only get played on the Rega or Technics turntable. This copy is a newish heavy vinyl remaster.

IMG_0825.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How on earth did you manage to break a Technics deck? Asumming it was a 1210 or similar? :unsure:
Yes you can still buy cassette players & some of them have usb ports so you can record it to your pc if it's not likely to be found anywhere else on the net.

It’s a unique story …. the 1981 rubber platter, not in hot room and always looked after, unbeknown to me had deteriorated through age on its underside. Literally turning to oil, which had dripped into all the electronics below.

No it was a linear tracking SL-DL1, lovely sound. I was just a school kid who read NME, I didn’t know anything about club DJ’s and their love of the SL-1200 until many years later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thanks to @Herr Tubthumper I checked further and found this rated Teac cassette deck.
https://www.richersounds.com/teac-w1200-black.html
Might be an Xmas present to myself.

I’ve a large drawer of my recordings on cassette - Peel, from Laser558 a pirate radio station in the mid 80’s, Sunday evening charts, The Flirts and from travels on the continent in the 80’s (local pop stations …. Euro beat).

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It’s a unique story …. the 1981 rubber platter, not in hot room and always looked after, unbeknown to me had deteriorated through age on its underside. Literally turning to oil, which had dripped into all the electronics below.

No it was a linear tracking SL-DL1, lovely sound. I was just a school kid who read NME, I didn’t know anything about club DJ’s and their love of the SL-1200 until many years later.
As a 'non DJ' owner of 1210's, letting a less than 'non dj' yoof use them, I have breathed a sigh of relief that I've yet to hear of someone breaking one! Yoof can continue driving me insane with 90's rave tunes that I used to love but now I'm old & the bassline comes through the ceiling, I find myself mentally apologising to my mum. Then turning into my mum and going upstairs and telling him to turn it down! :lolol:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Thanks to @Herr Tubthumper I checked further and found this rated Teac cassette deck.
https://www.richersounds.com/teac-w1200-black.html
Might be an Xmas present to myself.

I’ve a large drawer of my recordings on cassette - Peel, from Laser558 a pirate radio station in the mid 80’s, Sunday evening charts, The Flirts and from travels on the continent in the 80’s (local pop stations …. Euro beat).
I know someone that has some laser pirate recordings on cassette along with some radio caroline. I think he's put some onto mp3. I'll speak to him tomorrow and ask. (y)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a 'non DJ' owner of 1210's, letting a less than 'non dj' yoof use them, I have breathed a sigh of relief that I've yet to hear of someone breaking one! Yoof can continue driving me insane with 90's rave tunes that I used to love but now I'm old & the bassline comes through the ceiling, I find myself mentally apologising to my mum. Then turning into my mum and going upstairs and telling him to turn it down! :lolol:

My Dad hated the Chicago House sound of Jack Your Body coming from my room, before that many years of despising Joy Division, The Cure etc. It wasn’t just the bass, we’re all kind of control freaks on music in my experience, it wasn’t his music. Then in recent years as he’s mellowed, now mid 80’s, his tastes have broadened and he loves the Joy Division tracks he once loathed.

I don’t hear the music of my (older) ‘kids’ as they use headphones by choice. Although my 18 year old and I share musical passions eg Lana Del Rey and she thinks the 80’s were special too.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
My Dad hated the Chicago House sound of Jack Your Body coming from my room, before that many years of despising Joy Division, The Cure etc. It wasn’t just the bass, we’re all kind of control freaks on music in my experience, it wasn’t his music. Then in recent years as he’s mellowed, now mid 80’s, his tastes have broadened and he loves the Joy Division tracks he once loathed.

I don’t hear the music of my (older) ‘kids’ as they use headphones by choice. Although my 18 year old and I share musical passions eg Lana Del Rey and she thinks the 80’s were special too.
He'd listened to the music that had been drummed into him from an early age in his headphones until early this year. I was stupid enough to say... 'Yeah have a go at the decks, you know 'this' tune 'that' tune, here they are, have a go! I didn't expect it continue & I certainly didn't think I'd be buying him vinyl for Xmas!! 🤦‍♀️
He loves the 80's as well, I find it very odd that only a few of his friends know 'basic' 80's songs, even weirder that his friends don't know The Prodigy, let alone Gary Numan, Joy Division or The Cure. I took him to the Fatboy Slim gig at the Brighton Centre a few months ago, only a couple of his mates knew who he was, chances of them knowing the tunes were minimal.
It sounds like you have taught your daughter well. In a pub music quiz, my mum, me and him would be amazing until it got to the 2010's. My yoof is only a bit younger than yours but I'm not sure he knows any 'modern' music! :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He'd listened to the music that had been drummed into him from an early age in his headphones until early this year. I was stupid enough to say... 'Yeah have a go at the decks, you know 'this' tune 'that' tune, here they are, have a go! I didn't expect it continue & I certainly didn't think I'd be buying him vinyl for Xmas!! 🤦‍♀️
He loves the 80's as well, I find it very odd that only a few of his friends know 'basic' 80's songs, even weirder that his friends don't know The Prodigy, let alone Gary Numan, Joy Division or The Cure. I took him to the Fatboy Slim gig at the Brighton Centre a few months ago, only a couple of his mates knew who he was, chances of them knowing the tunes were minimal.
It sounds like you have taught your daughter well. In a pub music quiz, my mum, me and him would be amazing until it got to the 2010's. My yoof is only a bit younger than yours but I'm not sure he knows any 'modern' music! :lolol:

I got lucky. I never tried to influence my kids on music, it just turned out that years later as we became mates each separately revealed they adored tons of the music they’d heard in the car or from my ‘study’ over the years. An eclectic mix, I’ve wide tastes. I received a wonderful surprise present recently where one bought me an Italo Disco 12” import through Discog, all the way from Germany. I first heard it in 1984 on a Cala Bassa ferry from San Antoniio, the missing piece in a genre jigsaw. Talk about kind hearted :smile:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I got lucky. I never tried to influence my kids on music, it just turned out that years later as we became mates each separately revealed they adored tons of the music they’d heard in the car or from my ‘study’ over the years. An eclectic mix, I’ve wide tastes. I received a wonderful surprise present recently where one bought me an Italo Disco 12” import through Discog, all the way from Germany. I first heard it in 1984 on a Cala Bassa ferry from San Antoniio, the missing piece in a genre jigsaw. Talk about kind hearted :smile:
It's all passed on through the car! :lolol: :lolol: Discogs is amazing, don't look, it will cost you a fortune! 😁

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm clearing out a load of my vinyl records. What's the best thing to do? Try to flog them on eBay? Take them to a shop? (if so, what's the best place in Brighton?) Sell them in one job lot or several smaller lots? Just give up and dump them in a charity shop?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, I did all that, and meticulously looked after vinyls even as a drunk teen! Dolby was great at eliminating most hiss.
I have a pile of vinyl with no scratches. I was absolutely obsessed back in the day. And a bag full of cassettes of John Peel etc. Nothing to play them on now.

A retirement project will be to go through the casettes and make mp3s of the super rare shite, like never released Peel sessions from the 80s. There will be some simple kit that will plug into a laptop. I have a vinyl dec but it's a but crap and not plugged into an amp these days. All the vinyl is in the shed (safely stored).

That said....there is a website with thousands of hours of entire peel programmes to download, and youtube has thousands of individual sessions. I am told there are ways to download youtube stuff and MP3 it. Ahem.

Frankly I am so overwhelmed with new music I barely have time to hear my old stuff, except on iPod shuffle on the train and in the car.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a pile of vinyl with no scratches. I was absolutely obsessed back in the day. And a bag full of cassettes of John Peel etc. Nothing to play them on now.

A retirement project will be to go through the casettes and make mp3s of the super rare shite, like never released Peel sessions from the 80s. There will be some simple kit that will plug into a laptop. I have a vinyl dec but it's a but crap and not plugged into an amp these days. All the vinyl is in the shed (safely stored).

That said....there is a website with thousands of hours of entire peel programmes to download, and youtube has thousands of individual sessions. I am told there are ways to download youtube stuff and MP3 it. Ahem.

Frankly I am so overwhelmed with new music I barely have time to hear my old stuff, except on iPod shuffle on the train and in the car.

Exciting isn’t it, all the wonderful new music, whilst in the backs of our minds the wealth of the old. Not enough hours in the day, optimism, escapism, music literally makes life wonderful!

So glad, all the way back to age 10, that I looked after my vinyls, even when drunk :lolol: . I’ve only ever damaged one, somehow Unknown Pleasures got an awful scratch, but had two copies so all was good.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'm clearing out a load of my vinyl records. What's the best thing to do? Try to flog them on eBay? Take them to a shop? (if so, what's the best place in Brighton?) Sell them in one job lot or several smaller lots? Just give up and dump them in a charity shop?

I would normally suggest going along to the Brighton Record Fair with a handful of what you might think are your most valuable vinyl and see if you can get a buyer

On this Sunday as it happens

- however, it looks as if you are in Wales? Perhaps there is a second hand record shop you can get to that deals just in vinyl - otherwise perhaps google your titles on eBay and put them up for a similar price perhaps? Unless you have anything particularly collectible ie in mint condition too, I don’t think you would get much for them - I do have a 78 of Bill Haley and the Rockets and a few other 78s ( Louis Armstrong etc) as well as a lot of 50s and 60s vinyl including first edition mono Beatles stuff on Parlophone , R&B, etc which is boxed up under the stairs - haven’t looked at it for years but probably should!.

I used to spend hours every Saturday morning at Vinyl Records in Brighton and Rave On in Sydney Street, especially, browsing through 1950s/60s stuff - good ole days …jeez I miss those days …so much music, drinking and General craziness…😎

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Keep them, at sometime in the future you will probably regret the decision and go hunting to buy the same records again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exciting isn’t it, all the wonderful new music, whilst in the backs of our minds the wealth of the old. Not enough hours in the day, optimism, escapism, music literally makes life wonderful!

So glad, all the way back to age 10, that I looked after my vinyls, even when drunk :lolol: . I’ve only ever damaged one, somehow Unknown Pleasures got an awful scratch, but had two copies so all was good.
Even my first Clash LP, cover singed by Joe Strummer, is in top Q nick.

Vinyl abuse, the failure to put back in sleeve after playing, the careless stacking, the drunken needle manipulation with an ashy fag in the mouth?

No sir. Not me sir. And burn those who did. Burn them. BURN them. In fire. Fact.

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here