Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa to be sold to Chinese. Di Matteo as Manager

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Well that is a shock. I honestly thought it would take them years to get rid of Lerner.

And unfortunately it makes it a lot harder now for Albion to go up next season if they get sorted over the summer with a new manager. Newcastle are clear favourites to go straight back up, Norwich will also react strongly I suspect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well that is a shock. I honestly thought it would take them years to get rid of Lerner.

And unfortunately it makes it a lot harder now for Albion to go up next season if they get sorted over the summer with a new manager. Newcastle are clear favourites to go straight back up, Norwich will also react strongly I suspect.

You must say that as I suggested exactly the same and as I am often told I know nothing about football.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Villa's success hinges on whether this Chinese fella is the real deal and minted and prepared to bankroll their success or if he's one of those that talks a good bank balance but doesn't actually put much capital into his new pet project, hoping his investment pays off by bouncing straight back up into the riches of the premier league. I'm happy with TB who has invested more in the Albion than a lot of Premier League owners ever have done. Chinese football is currently on a stellar path of investment and ambition and its a massive untapped market, I imagine Villa's new owner fancies doing a Leicester to cream off some of that huge potential market. One thing is for sure is that next season will be as hard as this season although I'd like to think we could factor in a few more clubs falling foul of FFP and stagnating like Forest, Blackburn, Fulham, Leeds etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Di Matteo was the manager I wanted us to sign after Gus left, and again when Oscar went.

He would be a very good signing for Villa

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
You must say that as I suggested exactly the same and as I am often told I know nothing about football.

I've never understood the obsession with people around this idea that relegated clubs are always favourites to come out of this league straight back up.

It's a very different league to the premier league. 46 games. Saturday / Tuesday almost without cessation. It takes a very experienced manager with championship experience and a certain type of squad to last the pace.

I'm confused as to why people would think the money and relegated squads are a combination for success in the championship.

Wolves, Wigan, Bolton, forest, Leeds, Birmingham and sheff Wednesday have all experienced premier league in the last 15 years or so and have spent most of the last 3/4 seasons in the championship or even league one.

Yes there are clubs like Burnley who will bounce between the two and add Norwich and Middlesbrough to that.

But personally I think villa are a car crash still happening, Benitez may not know what to make of the championship which leaves Norwich.

I think they would be the ones that will be the strongest.

I would far rather be in our position than any of the relegated clubs. They will be spending half the summer trying weed out some of the utter dross that populates their inflated squads.

For the record BG I have nothing against you personally but if you suggest the fat puddle of liquid shite abgonlahor is a decent player then you know nothing about football.

He's a toxic influence along with many others in that villa dressing room as well as proving categorically and to a seismic effect that he is also an appalling player these days.

Do you really think if we'd have played villa last season we wouldn't have probably beaten them!?

Jeez!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Imo, you do come up with some decent points, but in amongst reams and reams of hackneyed, disproven dross which is often about 30 years out of date. But it doesn't matter what we all think of each other's opinions does it - this is a vibrant message board featuring all sorts. It's great to have the facility.

As for Villa, I reckon Di Matteo might be a good fit, but he won't fix all the issues there. They've got crap, disinterested, overpaid rubbish all over the pitch, and most will be on premier league contracts and many are well past their sell by date.

They could bin all those players easily if a new foreign owner with pots of cash comes in, but that's only half the problem. They need root and branch reform of their infrastructure in order to progress, so I don't see them doing any better than Leeds did this year.

Their scouting system must be completely broken for a start, considering they thought Rudy Gestede was a suitable replacement for Christian Benteke. Or that Agbonlahor didn't need to be replaced before last season. Or that Micah Richards and about five others was good enough to carry six passengers.

We are in a much stronger position than them. In fact, I'd even say the same about Wigan.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've never understood the obsession with people around this idea that relegated clubs are always favourites to come out of this league straight back up.

As for Villa, I reckon Di Matteo might be a good fit, but he won't fix all the issues there. They've got crap, disinterested, overpaid rubbish all over the pitch, and most will be on premier league contracts and many are well past their sell by date.

They could bin all those players easily if a new foreign owner with pots of cash comes in, but that's only half the problem. They need root and branch reform of their infrastructure in order to progress, so I don't see them doing any better than Leeds did this year.

Wise words here. Everything that's being said about Villa now could have been said about QPR a year ago - filthy rich far Eastern owner, squad packed with PL players, top division pedigree etc. Yet, QPR didn't even get near to a sniff of the playoffs. I'd also say that Villa are in a far worse state than QPR were: God knows how much it's going to cost to buy up some of those player contracts

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
If you were a filthy rich Chinese businessman as he is meant to be worth billions why would you buy a tinpot team in the Championship ? You would buy Arsenal or Man U at the very least so he can't be all that and will end up like their neighbours

Let's say you pay 60m for Villa and then another 30m on players to get them into the Prem.So that's 90m.On the other hand Man U and Arsenal would cost over 10/15 times that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's say you pay 60m for Villa and then another 30m on players to get them into the Prem.So that's 90m.On the other hand Man U and Arsenal would cost over 10/15 times that.
30m wouldnt come close to guaranteeing Premier league football. Boro bought Rhodes for 9m (a third of your budget, before wages) in January merely to ensure their goals didn't dry up, and still came within ONE goal of failing.

I think you'd need nearer 150m including wages in order to guarantee promotion from this league.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
30m wouldnt come close to guaranteeing Premier league football. Boro bought Rhodes for 9m (a third of your budget, before wages) in January merely to ensure their goals didn't dry up, and still came within ONE goal of failing.

I think you'd need nearer 150m including wages in order to guarantee promotion from this league.

Yep. And you'd also have to spend money on buying up the useless lumps' contracts

You're also not comparing like with like. You could get into the PL for £200-250m and you're right, Arsenal and Man U would cost a lot more. But they're aiming for the title: to buy players to compete at the top, you're looking at £700-800m upwards ... and that wouldn't guarantee you anything

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Yes Villa might be bought out,have a lot of money spent on them and still get nowhere near the top of the league however they could also storm the league.
Then we have Newcastle.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

I think the point is Boro DID go up.

150m? 75m max to give you a team with a great chance of going up.Even with 150m that's still only 210m total.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the point is Boro DID go up.

150m? 75m max to give you a team with a great chance of going up.Even with 150m that's still only 210m total.
No, you're wrong. You suggested that 30m was enough "to get them to the Prem" whereas the reality is that it doesn't come close to guaranteeing that. I illustrated that point by pointing out that Boro almost didn't go up, and it wasn't guaranteed until the final whistle on the final day - and they spent a fortune compared to us. Maybe I should have used Derby to illustrate that exact same point - they bought Nick Blackman thinking his extra firepower would take them over the line. He hasn't scored a single goal after that £4m outlay (and probable hefty wage increase)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why if you have 'SERIOUS' money would you buy a Championship Club ? 6 miles up the road is West Brom you could buy and you are straight in amongst the money not having to hope you can build a squad to get you up

the stories say he's been a fan since uni-days. not sure if true or convenient, but if i had a choice id rather buy a discount rate Villa than premium priced West Brom. and you can only buy whats for sale, Villa has been on the market for a while.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
lifelongvilla on avillafan.com/forum said:
This Dr Tony is as smart as a button by all accounts, Harvod, MIT etc built his own global business empire and to top it all off he's A VILLA FAN

Whats not to like? after these last 5 years of shite it almost brings a tear to the eye that we might see european football back at VP in the very near future.

I'm as happy as a pig in shite

Steady on guy! Let's walk before we run eh? :mad: :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here