Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa to be sold to Chinese. Di Matteo as Manager

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like Di Matteo as a manager and was pretty disappointed when he lost out to Oscar here when he applied 3 years ago. Don't think Villa is the job for him though.

I think that he is a decent manager which is what Villa lacked plus the thought of Lerner selling them means money will not be a problem with parachute payments to bring in what extra is required. to gain them promotion. Agbonlahor just needs a strict manager to get him back on the goal scoring road and Di Matteo fits that bill. They do not need many to have a very good championship squad and I cant see many leaving to stay in the Premier.

You could change the names of Villa and Newcastle and Benitez and Di Matteo and the same applies.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Why is that?

Villa need a complete rebuild. Honestly think they are in for a far tougher season than they expect. I'd be massively surprised if they are anywhere near the top of the league next year.
Newcastle have way too many ego-players that are more interested in bling than playing a tough away match in Birmingham on a Tuesday night. If Benitez stays, I give him until xmas before being sacked for not being top six.
Norwich, if they can keep their squad together I think will be toughest of the three relegated by a long shot.
Obviously a lot hinges on players in and out this summer but next season expect it to be us, Derby and Norwich to shoot it out for the autos.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lizard obviously you and I differ on our opinions but I feel that all Villa need is a decent strict manager. Newcastle may be a little more difficult because they still have Ashley in charge hopefully Spain will come calling for Benitez and thus cause unrest into January /February.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lizard obviously you and I differ on our opinions but I feel that all Villa need is a decent strict manager.

right, so not Di Matteo. he won his Champions League by being a cheer leader, he was essentially first team coach and media spokesman, and the dressing room managed themselves. theres no evidence he'd be able to pull together the abject failures in the Villa dressing room, who are utter leaderless.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Er, Carson Yeung bought Birmingham City in October 2009 for £81.5m.

Where are they now? And where is he?

I don't think we should be too worried yet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We just need Stan 'the man' Collymore to rear his head talking about Birmingham being a 'Premier League City' even though they share it with Small Heath.

Villa have a good history but i'm not sure I can stand a season of hearing how outrageous it is for them and the geordies to be outside of England's elite.

Unless of course we go up at their expense, which I very much hope.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, because selling Birmingham based clubs to the Far East always works out well.....

carson.jpg

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ominous for those that have written off Villa's chances. I have already said 2 of the 3 relegated will be automatic and with Benitez apparently staying at Newcastle that would leave us to chase play offs again.

Lost count at the amount of times I've heard that...never happens as the pressure and over paid players means most fail.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think that he is a decent manager which is what Villa lacked plus the thought of Lerner selling them means money will not be a problem with parachute payments to bring in what extra is required. to gain them promotion. Agbonlahor just needs a strict manager to get him back on the goal scoring road and Di Matteo fits that bill. They do not need many to have a very good championship squad and I cant see many leaving to stay in the Premier.

You could change the names of Villa and Newcastle and Benitez and Di Matteo and the same applies.

:nono:

Oh dear.

Let's be clear. Agbonlahor is a DREADFUL player, several years past his sell by date who wants only to be photographed in night clubs. He will be The Championship's new Leon Best. A decent, strong manager would get rid of him.

Villa has been mis-managed in to the ground. They have overpaid players who don't give a shit and the ones who do are of the quality of Joe Bennett and Gary Gardner. They are about to be potentially sold from one owner who was utterly clueless about English football to another owner who will be clueless about English football. They're a basket case.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Di Matteo has a faultless record in the championship 1 season 1 promotion.

Damien Comolli knows he stuff as well.

Seems Villa are getting there shit together, 5 years to late - if the above is true.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Agbonlahore is fat and disinterested. If he was like that in the Premier League, what makes you think he'll be any more motivated in the Championship ? And who are all these players they have who you think will be able to cut it in the Championship ? Gestede possibly as he was decent at Blackburn. Maybe Ayew. Otherwise, its a squad mostly stuffed with a load of unknown french kids who absolutely stank the place out last season, plus overrated wasters like Grealish.

It needs a sea-change at Villa to make them competitive next season. Bounce this at Christmas by all means, but I'll be amazed if they're anywhere near threatening top 6. They look far more likely to be the next Bolton to me.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Could Villa go straight back up sure. But how are they going to get rid of the tat they have now? Who is going to want to pick up the wages of one of the worst squads ever seen in the PL? If they don't then there aren't going to be the signings they are expecting but stocking fillers instead...

I will be looking out for the price on Di Matteo getting the boot not on them winning the league. For all the problems Newcastle have they have a much better squad and a manager who had they appointed him at Christmas would probably have kept them up. For me if we finish above them next season we will be promoted...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Money would work in the prison's of the People's Republic of China. He did look rather ill on release on bail last year though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here