Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I think we made another 4 or so from the sell on. And will take a chunk of Cov's own sell on when he leaves Sporting.
The sell on percentage was said to be "a sizeable amount" by Andy Naylor when he was getting sold last summer.

Based on that I'd probably put it as around 20-30% of the profit Coventry made on him.

That means we'd receive 20-30% on whatever Coventry's sell on percentage is.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What I find interesting/amusing is that Chelsea seem to be spending MASSIVE money on players with almost no track record.
  1. Caicedo was excellent for us, but £115m for a player with less that 50 top flight appearances
  2. £60m for Lavia with <30 apps for relegated Southampton
  3. £105m for Fernandez ~70 apps over River and Benfica
  4. £75m for Fofana after ~35 PL games with relegated Leicester
  5. £90m for Mudryk ~50 apps for Shakhtar
  6. £35m for Jackson with 35 apps for Villareal
  7. 65m for Cucurella for <90 apps between us and Getafe
That's ~£550m on players who are essentially unproven at the top level for more than a fleeting period. Gyökeres is having a fantastic season, but at the top level he's played 17 games. SEVENTEEN. To be even considering an £90-£100m move before he's even seen out a season? Madness. No wonder clubs rub their hands when Chelsea pick up the phone.
But doesn't our model completely fly in the face of what you're saying here? We've spent big on players with very few appearances and they've gone on to be excellent footballers who we can then sell on for big profits. Chelsea are, effectively, trying to do the same thing but spending dramatically more and probably getting their valuations wrong or buying players they think have the highest possible ceiling and will all be Champions League level players within a year or two at their club.

Personally, I think that however you look at Chelsea's spending model - it doesn't and probably can't really work but we'll see. For all the laughter, they're really well placed to make a charge for 6th in the league which obviously would be an excellent season for them and they'd feel like they're in a good position to strike next season.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
1 million pounds.
Austin Powers One Million Dollars GIF

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
whoopsie, dropped a right clanger there eh....
Not really. He needed to go somewhere he could play regularly and develop as a player. It simply wasn't happening for him here. When he was sold he'd scored 3 goals in 30 Championship appearances, there was nothing to suggest we'd let this level of player go. We did well to get a million for him plus the sell on. He's done very well since he left and good luck to the lad.

That doesn't mean we made a mistake letting him go, he needed to move on to become the player he has. There was no evidence he was a player that would reach the level he has at the time we sold him (or would have reached those levels if he'd stayed), and there would still be question marks over can hit the same level in the Premier League if he was to move back to England.

I doubt the club are that worried that we let him go but are probably very glad they took the insurance policy of putting a decent sized sell on clause into the Coventry deal.

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I'm not sure if it was covered in this thread at the time, but back in July (when he made the move to Sporting) Albion were willing to match their bid (as per an agreement in the contract when they sold him to Coventry) but Gyokeres chose to move to Portugal.
Now that is interesting, I hadn't heard that previously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here