Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Presumably it's a panic thing from Parish. Because they have no long term strategy and appoint people without any sort of end goal in mind, they're not prepared to be patient with any managers, so the second relegation becomes even a slight possibility, they bin them off rather than risk flying too close to the sun. Whereas when we went on a few poor runs under Potter, Tony Bloom kept the faith in the knowledge that the long term project was still on. Brentford too: Thomas Frank lost seven or eight of his first ten games, but their strategy was clear and they could see that the performances were there, so the results would surely follow. And they have. Parish would have fired Frank after six games.

He knows that Uncle Roy is a safe pair of hands to ensure Palace grind their way tediously to the required points target, so let's assume their plan is to get him on a short term deal to fight the fire until the end of this season, then in the summer they can go on an other eight week manager search while Roy retires cheerfully back to his garden again.
I really wouldn’t class Hodgson as a safe pair of hands any more. His football is so outdated & only effective if you can bank on nullifying opposition strikers but we’re in a league now where everyone can score goals & parking the bus tactics don’t often work out. He looked clueless when Watford got him in to keep them up. Watford STH mate of mine said at the time if anything they got worse after his appointment & continued to leak goals.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I thought he would see out the season, they have had a tough run of games which looked like it was going to get better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No. 11/2 to go down and 1/9 to stay up. Presumably, you wanted to back them to stay up but 1/9 is very poor odds. Odds may lengthen once Arse thrash them and they stay managerless, or appoint Gerrard or Lamps.
Precisely. That's what I meant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite. In terms of a 2023 palace bedwetting tracker:

Brighton A: (1) 0
ManCity H: (0) 0
Villa A: (1) 0
Liverpool H: (0) 1
Brentford A: (1) 1
Brighton H: (3) 1
ManUtd A: (0) 0
Newcastle H: (3) 1
ManUtd H: (0) 1
Chelsea A: (0) 0
Spurs H: (0) 0

Tracker points 9. Actual points 5. That was a tough run of fixtures given league positions and form.
Feu na

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Assuming this sacking also makes Zaha not signing a new contract even more likely as it’s been reported by Clinton Morrison today that Zaha & Pat had a really strong relationship.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Assuming this sacking also makes Zaha not signing a new contract even more likely as it’s been reported by Clinton Morrison today that Zaha & Pat had a really strong relationship.
Isn't Mr Tumble an Arsenal fan? If so, PV was probably a bit of a hero to him...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn’t Viera about 5th choice for them when he joined?

I know he didn’t start until about a week before the season started.
They seem to have learnt nothing.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
There have been a few mentions of managers being sacked after losing to Brighton, but does it happen that often? Who was the last one? The most recent I can recall off the top of my head was Craig Brown but I'm sure there's been one more recent than that.

I do wonder who they're going to get. There aren't a lot of top class managers itching to manage in the relegation zone - as Leeds and Southampton found out
Feels to me like it normally happens just before we play a team, subjecting us to constant new manager bounces

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
They could really regret this. Doesn’t give a new manager much time settle in at this point in the season. I mean they are where you would expect them to be in mid table, about the same as last season. Strange decision.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Wasn't Gallagher their POTS?

When you take a player on loan, if he has a great season, at the end of that season, he's going back to his owner club. You're going to lose a good player, and to replace him, you're going to have to dig deep into your pockets, and that's just to stand still. Think of Leeds who hounded us for Ben White.
Or think of us about to hound Chelsea over Levi.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just feel like this sacking is a massive risk long term, because where do they go from here in terms of style? Vieira being appointed represented massive progression in terms of style, but sacking him kind of admits defeat on that. So now what do they do? Return to a Hodgson type manager which will upset the locals, or go for another forward thinking manager which could be successful but also could go a bit like when they had Frank DeBoer

I don’t think they were going to get relegated this season, so surely the better option was to keep him & then re-asses in the summer & invest in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here