Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
What an uninspiring list. I guess they want "tried and tested" for a relegation fight, but most of those are "tried and flopped". Hasenhuttl or Postecoglou would be the ones I'd want in their shoes.

Compare it to the managers we were linked to (albeit some were never going to happen)... de Zerbi, Knutsen, Fischer, Gallardo, Amorim.

They're still in a position where they probably won't go down and there is talent in that squad alongside a few plodders. Show some imagination or ambition!

theboybilly

Shocked.. palace have had a run of games against good opposition.
The Palace run in looks easy
The games v Leicester, Leeds, Southampton and Everton are crucial now. They really must win 2 of those otherwise they could be adrift by the time their final 3 games (which could easily go either way) come around. Bournemouth and Forest could be safe with no pressure by then. This is no foregone conclusion that a misfiring team will stay up. Though I think that win at Bournemouth and the fluke draws against United and us will be enough

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a shambles.
Why would you sack a manager with so few games left until the end of the season. Who do they have lined up? Fat Sam?
They’ve pressed the panic button.
Interesting that Palace put in their best performance against us since the days of Hughton. And that’s how they reward Viera!

They had about 5 very good chances, which is probably the same amount as they’ve had over all the other games since Chris left.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Vieira was out of leftfield in being a progressive appointment for Palace. Not their usual style as they usually opt for old school dinosaurs. Just about ever manager in that category has had a turn at Selhurst in recent years. Who next? The usual tired names appear on the odds list. One I haven't spotted on the list screams out as a perfect fit - for comedy value and not to mention, causing more than a few heads to explode, Nathan Jones is my chosen one.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Vieira was out of leftfield in being a progressive appointment for Palace. Not their usual style as they usually opt for old school dinosaurs. Just about ever manager in that category has had a turn at Selhurst in recent years. Who next? The usual tired names appear on the odds list. One screams out as a perfect fit - for comedy value and not to mention, causing more than a few heads to explode, Nathan Jones is my chosen one.
It wasn't that leftfield: the reason no other English clubs had picked up Vieira is because his managerial record wasn't particularly good, not because he was some kind of best kept secret.

My preference would be Nathan Jones, because I would just LOVE to see Tiny Tears' face when he turns up and does his best David Brent impression.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Stay classy Palace...

Surprisingly, it was not even Dougie Freedman or Steve Parish informed Vieira about the decision, but the former Arsenal midfielder was calm and listened before thanking the voice at the other side of the phone.​
Vieira’s assistant Osian Roberts, who was also on his way to the training ground, also got a message on his phone informing him that the club had decided to change direction and give the team the best chance in the upcoming games.​
Yesterday the board had already started briefing their intentions to reporters, but none of Vieira’s coaching staff really thought they’d be denied the chance to at least face Arsenal and fight for their jobs.​
From that article:

"but the defeat to sworn rivals Brighton and Hove Albion, the first time since 2015* convinced the board that a change was the only way forward."

:ROFLMAO: :ascarf::banana::whisky::drink::clap::rave::rock:punk::vuvu:

We broke them!

(* - Should say 2019. We didn't even play them during 2015.)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
*sensible post alert*

I thought he did a BRILLIANT job last season. Remember, they had a mad number of established players leave the club before he joined. He had the job of basically trying to form a new team and rid themselves of the turgid football being played under Hodgeson. I think they finished around 11/12th(?), playing good football and did well in the FA cup. However hard it is to admit, that was an excellent season considering.

This season is COMPLETLEY down to a lack of goals. They don't conceed that many. Only 4 more than us overall. They are a solid team but simply don't create enough and then don't score when they do. They were on top of us for the first 10 mins or so and Edouard missed a sitter.

I think it's the wrong decision personally. Obviously, I hope it goes horribly wrong.
Agree with most of that but they were certainly not playing good football. Even their own fans were highly critical. They were and are, horrible to watch.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Shirley won’t be Hodgson as the manager again. He’s far too old and would be an embarrassing move to bring him out of retirement as a sign that they have absolutely NO ideas at all.

I’m putting a punt on Bielsa for the lols. He seems keen enough for EPL management again.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This whole "playing weak teams" thing seems odd to me.

The time to play teams lower in the league is early/mid season. Once we get to the business end of the season, they will be scrapping. That makes them dangerous - and we've seen some very surprising results from teams near the bottom. Any kind of complacency and Crippled Alice are screwed.

Let's hope so!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Shirley won’t be Hodgson as the manager again. He’s far too old and would be an embarrassing move to bring him out of retirement as a sign that they have absolutely NO ideas at all.

I’m putting a punt on Bielsa for the lols. He seems keen enough for EPL management again.
If their U21s are as good as the, curiously currently absent, Palace visitors to this board would have us believe, they should have no problems accepting the deal he offered Everton. "Now, Marcelo can't be bothered with you first teamers, as you're all going to be replaced by wonder kids next season. However, could you do us a little favour and just avoid relegation before we sack you all."

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Presumably it's a panic thing from Parish. Because they have no long term strategy and appoint people without any sort of end goal in mind, they're not prepared to be patient with any managers, so the second relegation becomes even a slight possibility, they bin them off rather than risk flying too close to the sun. Whereas when we went on a few poor runs under Potter, Tony Bloom kept the faith in the knowledge that the long term project was still on. Brentford too: Thomas Frank lost seven or eight of his first ten games, but their strategy was clear and they could see that the performances were there, so the results would surely follow. And they have. Parish would have fired Frank after six games.

He knows that Uncle Roy is a safe pair of hands to ensure Palace grind their way tediously to the required points target, so let's assume their plan is to get him on a short term deal to fight the fire until the end of this season, then in the summer they can go on an other eight week manager search while Roy retires cheerfully back to his garden again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here