Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viera has left Palace and Hodgson returns!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on people, this shouldn't have taken so long:-

FraXuBzXoAAkJOC.jpeg

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Quite. In terms of a 2023 palace bedwetting tracker:

Brighton A: (1) 0
ManCity H: (0) 0
Villa A: (1) 0
Liverpool H: (0) 1
Brentford A: (1) 1
Brighton H: (3) 1
ManUtd A: (0) 0
Newcastle H: (3) 1
ManUtd H: (0) 1
Chelsea A: (0) 0
Spurs H: (0) 0

Tracker points 9. Actual points 5. That was a tough run of fixtures given league positions and form.
We would have been 0 on the tracker.

4 total tracker 5 achieved

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I wonder how many clubs have sacked their manager/head coach after playing us? Would be interesting to see, if anyone has been keeping track.

I'm guessing they were eyeing the international break to get someone in, almost gives a degree of pre-season before their relegation push*

I'll be amazed though if they've done much succession planning as it is only #TeamsLikeBrighton which tend to do that...looking forward to a knee-jerk appointment which all goes horribly wrong.

* to avoid it, obvs... :lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As with all things in life these days, I asked ChatGPT if teams should sack their manager or stay with them. I think TL: DR is Fence

There have been several statistical analyses conducted on the impact of changing managers in football, and the results are mixed. Some studies suggest that changing managers can provide a short-term boost to a team's performance, while others find no significant effect or even a negative impact.

One study published in the Journal of Sports Economics in 2019 analyzed the performance of English Premier League teams before and after a managerial change. The study found that, on average, teams experienced a significant improvement in their performance in the first five games after a change of manager, but this improvement was short-lived and not statistically significant in the long run. The study also found that the size of the improvement varied depending on the circumstances of the change, such as whether it was planned or forced by poor results.

Another study published in the Journal of Sports Sciences in 2016 found that changing managers had no significant impact on a team's performance in the English Premier League over a 13-year period. The study analyzed the results of 52 clubs that changed managers during the period and found no evidence that changing managers improved a team's chances of avoiding relegation or finishing higher in the league.

Overall, there is no clear consensus on whether changing managers can improve a team's performance in the long run. In some cases, it may provide a short-term boost, but in others, it may not have a significant impact or even be detrimental to the team's performance. Ultimately, the decision to stick with a manager or sack them will depend on a range of factors, including the team's current form, the manager's track record, and the availability of suitable replacements.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Talking head (a palace supporting podcaster, I believe) was on SSN saying he expected Roy to come in on a short-term basis and a permenant manager to be appointed in the summer.

I'm not really into gambling, but it looked like the odds they showed on SSN also suggested Roy was the favourite.

I wonder how Whitworth is feeling. Vieira took a chance on him, gave him his debut and his inability to keep a clean sheet might have cost Patrick his job!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
I know they’re 12th again, but I felt last season had much to do with Gallagher. For example they were better than us at their tip last season (don’t let it bounce), this season they were woeful.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Wasn't Gallagher their POTS?

When you take a player on loan, if he has a great season, at the end of that season, he's going back to his owner club. You're going to lose a good player, and to replace him, you're going to have to dig deep into your pockets, and that's just to stand still. Think of Leeds who hounded us for Ben White.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Talking head (a palace supporting podcaster, I believe) was on SSN saying he expected Roy to come in on a short-term basis and a permenant manager to be appointed in the summer.

I'm not really into gambling, but it looked like the odds they showed on SSN also suggested Roy was the favourite.

I wonder how Whitworth is feeling. Vieira took a chance on him, gave him his debut and his inability to keep a clean sheet might have cost Patrick his job!
Yep, he is...

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 10.20.57.png

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
*sensible post alert*

I thought he did a BRILLIANT job last season. Remember, they had a mad number of established players leave the club before he joined. He had the job of basically trying to form a new team and rid themselves of the turgid football being played under Hodgeson. I think they finished around 11/12th(?), playing good football and did well in the FA cup. However hard it is to admit, that was an excellent season considering.

This season is COMPLETLEY down to a lack of goals. They don't conceed that many. Only 4 more than us overall. They are a solid team but simply don't create enough and then don't score when they do. They were on top of us for the first 10 mins or so and Edouard missed a sitter.

I think it's the wrong decision personally. Obviously, I hope it goes horribly wrong.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ah bless. They think they can get Carrick. :ffsparr:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hodgson note bookies favourite at 6/4.
Wow!
Equally capable of a bad run. Start of 2018/19, they went P12 W1 D3 L8, the only win coming against a poor H'Field. They ended the following season with P8 W0 D1 L7 - 7 straight defeats. Then, end of 20/21 it was 6 defeats from 8.

Inspired appointment if they go for it...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Short term Big Sam seems to be the logical choice, they aren’t in the relegation zone as yet, there are clearly 3, maybe 4 perhaps even 5 teams worse than them, so it just needs some stability, grind out a few results and get the 11/12 points they need to survive.
They still have to play Leicester, Everton, West Ham Bournemouth and Forest at Selhurst with trips to Leeds, Saints and Wolves, 8 six pointers 🤷‍♂️

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I wander what odds youd get of Hodgson and then Bielsa being the next 2 managers. I remember Bielsa saying he wouldnt take a take mid season start at Everton but was happy to come in, suss the place and the U21 out and start in the summer.

Could see the unimaginative blonde prat of a chairman trying implement this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Short term Big Sam seems to be the logical choice, they aren’t in the relegation zone as yet, there are clearly 3, maybe 4 perhaps even 5 teams worse than them, so it just needs some stability, grind out a few results and get the 11/12 points they need to survive.
They still have to play Leicester, Everton, West Ham Bournemouth and Forest at Selhurst with trips to Leeds, Saints and Wolves, 8 six pointers 🤷‍♂️
He's not managed for 2 years, his last experience was getting relegated from the PL. Please send your recommendation to Parish ASAP!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Wasn't Gallagher their POTS?

When you take a player on loan, if he has a great season, at the end of that season, he's going back to his owner club. You're going to lose a good player, and to replace him, you're going to have to dig deep into your pockets, and that's just to stand still. Think of Leeds who hounded us for Ben White.
Been there done it - Paul McShane

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here