Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video of Ashley Barnes' sending off at Bolton

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Are you genuinely saying that you can't see him trip the ref with a sly flick of his boot?

The ref stumbles, but doesn't go down a la Alcock (where Di Canio, for a much more obvious show of aggression to an official received an 11 game ban) and turns and instantly brandishes the red card. He then goes on to refuse to leave the pitch, clearly has to be pulled away by Bruno and ushered away...

Im genuinely saying that I could barely see that, with the distance and the fact that I was expecting "foul and abusive language" which was what was reported, - so what im saying is, it wasnt that "clear " to me.. Is he sent off for a trip, or Foul and Abusive Language, which is what has been reported?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Im genuinely saying that I could barely see that, with the distance and the fact that I was expecting "foul and abusive language" which was what was reported, - so what im saying is, it wasnt that "clear " to me.. Is he sent off for a trip, or Foul and Abusive Language, which is what has been reported?

Maybe it was both. Perhaps he called him something at the same time he swung a leg at him. I do wish people would stop defending him, he has been an idiot and needs to learn a lesson from this.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The referee told people at the ground, post-match, the red card was for a(n attempted) trip.

Reports of foul and abusive language were nothing but guesswork at the time.

iloveguybutters

Feb 20, 2012
Is anyone else slightly embarrassed that a twenty something year old man can't control his anger because something went against him? Yes, I love Barnes passion/aggression just needs to tunnel it in a restrained way

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The camera has to move at the vital moment, doesn't it? :facepalm: Typical.

After watching it a few times in slow motion it doesn't look definitely intentional, but I suppose if it wasn't then Barnes would hold his hands up and apologise. I hope they'll think a 3-match ban is sufficient.
Do it to each other, all you want, but tripping the ref is a completely different issue.

If the ref's don't feel supported and 'protected' by The FA, it's game over.

He'll not walk for the season, but it'll certainly be a lot warmer when he is playing.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The camera has to move at the vital moment, doesn't it? :facepalm: Typical.

After watching it a few times in slow motion it doesn't look definitely intentional, but I suppose if it wasn't then Barnes would hold his hands up and apologise. I hope they'll think a 3-match ban is sufficient.

If it wasn't intentional, then what was he doing with his foot?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And he was kicking the **** out of the tunnel as he went down it! At what point do you think realisation hit him?
wait a minute

wait a minute

wait a minute

Nope, not yet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm pretty sure I can see a spider or bug of some sort about to climb on the ref's boot. I think Ash was just saving the ref from a nasty bug bite. The ref should be grateful!

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It's quite hard to tell from that video if it was intentional or not. He could have tripped him intentional or it could have just been an accident as the ref could have ran into Barnes's path and he has accidently clipped the ref's heel.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Blatantly intentional. The video isn't perfect but you can quite clearly see Barnes attempt to trip the ref.
Guessing a 5 game ban and will be lucky to play again this season.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I can't believe the ref was dodgy coz it seemed so blatant bias towards Bolton. Honestly I have never seen a ref that
bias That obvious if I wasn't full of trust I would swear
He was playing to the oriental bet market. But I don't think that coz
It would be too obvious. I would also have to assume that Bha would get a red card in this bet win. Coz the red didn't change the game.

I can understand barnes frustration.

Something was very wrong that game but obviously it wasn't the ref.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I can't believe the ref was dodgy coz it seemed so blatant bias towards Bolton. Honestly I have never seen a ref that
bias That obvious if I wasn't full of trust I would swear
He was playing to the oriental bet market. But I don't think that coz
It would be too obvious. I would also have to assume that Bha would get a red card in this bet win. Coz the red didn't change the game.

I can understand barnes frustration.

Something was very wrong that game but obviously it wasn't the ref.

In English please

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here