Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Victor Osimhen

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Strange one. Don't think they were intentionally abusing their own player. Just terrible humour. But I spose they need to be taught.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm not sure whether the term coconut is used in Italy in the same was as in some other nations (ie. Brown on the outside, white within).

However, cocco, the Italian for coconut is used as term of endearment, akin to darling. The song used is apparently popular amongst kids. This version has millions of YouTube views:

I'd still say using it as a video featuring a black player is misguided at best but maybe, just maybe, not quite as outrageous as it first seems. Still a major fek up by their social media admin.

What do you think @Sepulveda ?

NB. I'm on no way excusing it, just adding a little context. I think the base thinking was probably he has dark skin, coconuts are brown, silly song, might get some likes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
living in multicultural Gloucester i am not surprised by that.
I'm not sure why living in a multicutural city would make me less likely to have heard that. Unless of course, 'multicultural Gloucester' is a sarcastic remark implying the exact opposite - which, if the case, would be showing your ignorance I'm afraid. We have a considerable Moslem population, and now a very considerable eastern European quarter. Our junior schools have to find interpreters for many children whose first language isn't English, in may cases with no English at all. One school near me has to do this for 12 different languages in one reception intake. Gloucester is indeed very multicultural.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The vast majority of the people who use Coconut as an insult are black people.

Exactly. I very much doubt that was the use in this video. Still perhaps had racial undertones but not in the sense some are suggesting.

For those not familiar with the words use in the English-speaking world, you may remember Rio Ferdinand getting into hot water for his response to someone calling Ashley Cole a choc ice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly. I very much doubt that was the use in this video. Still perhaps had racial undertones but not in the sense some are suggesting.

For those not familiar with the words use in the English-speaking world, you may remember Rio Ferdinand getting into hot water for his response to someone calling Ashley Cole a choc ice.
Acceptable usage also changes over time.

I had a great, female boss when I lived and worked in Sydney. Chinese family but born in Oz. Thick Sydney accent and loved rugby and drinking. She often referred to herself as 'a banana'. This was in 2002 and I doubt she does the same now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Makes no sense for a non-black person to try and use it as an insult, just doesn't work.

It's a class thing between black people. People from the Hoods using it to insult someone who is educated and well spoken.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What an incredible story. If any of this is genuinely from Napoli club sources it opens the doors for hackers to wreak havoc.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm not sure why living in a multicutural city would make me less likely to have heard that. Unless of course, 'multicultural Gloucester' is a sarcastic remark implying the exact opposite - which, if the case, would be showing your ignorance I'm afraid. We have a considerable Moslem population, and now a very considerable eastern European quarter. Our junior schools have to find interpreters for many children whose first language isn't English, in may cases with no English at all. One school near me has to do this for 12 different languages in one reception intake. Gloucester is indeed very multicultural.
Knowing both cities I'm certain Gloucester is more multi cultural than Brighton.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Makes no sense for a non-black person to try and use it as an insult, just doesn't work.

It's a class thing between black people. People from the Hoods using it to insult someone who is educated and well spoken.
I imagine any black person being publucly described that way would take offence, regardless of who said it and whether it was meant as an insult or not - but maybe not in Italy if it is indeed a term of endearment there.

Nevertheless it appears to be the penalty video they're particularly upset about, and that is just weird why Napoli did that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I imagine any black person being publucly described that way would take offence, regardless of who said it and whether it was meant as an insult or not - but maybe not in Italy if it is indeed a term of endearment there.

Nevertheless it appears to be the penalty video they're particularly upset about, and that is just weird why Napoli did that.
Agreed. Weird why Napoli would do that, and weird why the OP would post the 'wrong' video.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Is being called a coconut some sort of racist term in Italy?
Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of that before if it is.
Bizarre video regardless, especially if it has genuinely come from the club.
I think, back in the day English supporters directed "What's that pineapple on your head" at black players ? If true would imagine the "coconut" abuse refers to the white stripe on top of his head ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tyson. Implying Bruno was black on the outside, but white on the inside.
When I lived in Vancouver 40 years ago we had 'bananas'. A derogatory term for second or third generation Chinese who had forsaken their heritage (i.e., pretty much all of them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here