Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente.....wow

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Seriously, WHAT a player.

Anyone who didn't get excited when they arrived at the ground and heard he was starting, really ought to find a new hobby.

Hmmmmm.......

Albion's league record when Vicente started:-

Played: 17

Won: 3
Drew: 8
Lost: 6

Two takeaways - 1) Vicente started less than 20% of the league fixtures during his two years on the books, and 2) our results when he did start were relegation form.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hmmmmm.......

Two takeaways - 1) Vicente started less than 20% of the league fixtures during his two years on the books, and 2) our results when he did start were relegation form.

Spurs didn't win once in Gareth Bale's first 24 appearances for them. He must be rubbish.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Spurs didn't win once in Gareth Bale's first 24 appearances for them. He must be rubbish.

You misunderstand the point I was making.

Vicente was quite possibly the most talented individual to ever pull on an Albion shirt (and I'm sorry I never got the chance to see him play in the flesh).

As others have suggested, players like Vicente alone are sufficient reason for some people to buy tickets/season tickets.

However, the fact remains that during his two years with us his playing contribution (in terms of minutes on the pitch) was minimal, and the results when he DID start were poor.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmmmm.......

I was more interested in watching Vicente glide past players than the result of the game tbh. He was an absolute joy to watch. What we have now are donkeys in comparison. I live in hope that Kayal has not been overhyped and can give us glimpses of a genuine quality player again as we toil our way towards League One or a narrow avoidance of relegation.

We are a shadow of the team we were when Vicente occasionally graced us.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If you look at our points ratio with him in the team and with him out of the team we performed much, much better when he didn't play.

I've never understood that argument.

In over 20 years of watching football, I've never seen or heard it used as a way of rating a player, yet every time Vicente is mentioned there it is.

Very odd, and to my mind missing the point entirely as per the Danny Blachflower quote already posted.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Right, here goes. I need to increase my thumbs down count anyway.

I was nearly always disappointed when I saw he was in the team. Whilst his ability was never in question, as a team, I always thought we played worse when he was on the pitch. The other 10 players just seemed to adopt a "keep calm and give to Vicente" attitude.

I always thought that too. Everyone seemed too scared to do their thing when he was on the pitch. They seemed too in awe of him.

Gutted that the Derby home game was one of the few home games I missed that season though.....

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Most talented player to ever wear the stripes, simple as that.

I miss him dearly as I miss the Poyet era and plenty of our other players from that time. Vicente, Barnes, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Bridge, Upson, Orlandi... Ect ect! :(

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I just remember going absolutely mental when we signed him. I have never seen a player of his calibre in a Brighton shirt, and I likely never will again.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Did you just make that up?

I just checked the stats, and it would appear that Spurs did not, indeed, win any of Bale's first 24 Premier League matches that he played in (over a more than two year period, mind).

Conversely, during that same period, he played in a further 19 cup games (10 UEFA Cup, 7 Carling Cup and 2 FA Cup). Spurs record in those games was W:11 D:5 L:3.

So, it's true - sort of.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things with a style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom" Danny Blanchflower.

Did you never go to a game and pray that Vicente would be fit and on the bench or even starting? Did your heart not soar with joy as you saw him glide imperiously through the opposition; untouchable. Didn't his performances set your pulses racing, bring a tear to your eye, generate an excitement that propelled you from your seat. Didn't he raise you out of your humdrum "must win, got to get the points" reality, revealing glimpses of something awe inspiring? Didn't you watch spellbound and recognise he was probably the best player you'll ever have the privilege to watch in the blue and white stripes?

Don't you have any soul?
The worrying thing for me with football at the moment is how many players in world football would propell you from your seat with excitement
MESSI
RONALDO
CAnt think of any player in the prem that would make me travel long distance and top dollar to watch one at the present time, is the free flowing expressive showboating footballer becoming a thing of the past, giving way to pass pass pass cloned footballers too scared to express themselves in the rigid modern tactical game

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The worrying thing for me with football at the moment is how many players in world football would propell you from your seat with excitement
MESSI
RONALDO
CAnt think of any player in the prem that would make me travel long distance and top dollar to watch one at he present time, is the free flowing expressive showboating footballer becoming a thing of the past, giving way to pass pass pass cloned footballers too scared to express themselves in the rigid modern tactical game

Mr T --- football will eventually eat itself.
I'm contemplating ditching all my Virgin/BT sports coz my missus is always watching shit on the other side:moo:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Mr T --- football eventually will eat itself.
I'm contemplating ditching all my Virgin/BT sports coz my missus is always watching shit on the other side:moo:

I've got all the football packages but rarely watch many live games now, personally finding the prem this season very drab, like I was saying earlier no flair players too excite and many average sides even the top 6 this year apart from Chelsea look very average
Amazing that the prem gets a £5Billion deal at the present time when personally I think the league is currently the weakest & mediocre since Sky revamped the football League

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Surprised you managed to cobble together 5 minutes of highlights, albeit a lot of slow mo replays. Quality player that barely contributed any points for us.

utter rubbish. he won a number of games for us and had a large number of assists in his first season with us. he was a fecking genius.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here