Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That has nothing to do with what the club has written though. There could still be a quote from Poyet. I mean, we get half a page when they come up with a new pie flavour with quotes from the lady who makes the pastry.

Which is why my comment went further than your selective quote.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I heard a rumour that they have discovered the remains of a stone age hill fort under the new entrance to the south stand hospitality area and the Council are insisting that we tear the whole ground down to restore it to its natural state. Albion are frantically trying to make sure that they have everyone possible under contract so that they can sell them for big enough fees to meet the demolition costs and to pay the rent on a grounshare with Crawley....................

Jeez.......................Get a life! :lol:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Which is why my comment went further than your selective quote.

Sorry, didn't mean to be selective in terms of trying to misrepresent what you said - was just highlighting that I don't buy that particular argument which has been mentioned by a few people. Should have quoted the whole thing and put that bit in bold. Apologies.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Would imagine his agent is pulling the strings. Perhaps they have been forced into a corner... if he agreed to this contract extension last season, the club might have said 'sorry pal, but we're taking up our option'.

Might be our new Chief Exec Mr Barber's involvement - is this the sort of thing they used to do at Spurs, forcing a player to stay when he wanted out?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Grrr, why did I come on NSC. Its 8pm, I have had no tea and the Mrs is complaining that I'm acting like a kid (and a gay one) over some bloke who kicks a ball about.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think i'll join the doom-laden mourners of a past yet to be lived. I'd rather see this as an announcement that we're determined to keep him, but are covering all angles until his decision is finally made. I strongly doubt we're looking to build an unhappy camp by spending a fair amount on an excellent friend of his who will begrudge the unfair treatment of someone who matters to him. No one wants tempers raised or uncertainty introduced as an ingredient in our mission, so i'll take this as a simple statement of what we're doing right now that should be followed by ones to give us more hope in a day or two. Gus can't keep his mouth shut for long, so we'll be having our concerns lowered rather soon.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps Vicente's agent has sniffed out "easy money" up the A23 after they sell Zaha for £4M ?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
I never rated him anyway. ;)

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I'm afraid that what has occurred is that the negotiations with Vicente have not yet concluded but the club have exercised their 12 month extension to protect their interests. Otherwise he would have been a free agent on 1st July. It would seems that although the deal is nearly done there is some way to go and there will be no formal announcement until next week. On the positive side I wouldn't be surprised if some type of a 2 year deal is then agreed.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Firstly I don't think he has completely signed, otherwise surely they would say 'Vicente signs new contract' similar to Caskeys one early in the week. Why the strange wording, 1. its not completely clear for all fans to understand. 2. They would know it would cause some suspicion.

They don't actually say that Vicente has agreed to sign, maybe there was a clause that we had the option to renew it if he played a certain amount of games, and he's set himself for someone else and we've activated the clause to get something for him. But surely if they had done this they wouldnt make an announcement about it and would keep it quiet until he signs. Or just a ploy to shift a few season tickets.

Think the club will release a statement to sort it out in the next 24 hours. Obviously seen the controversy its caused and The Argus obviously dont seem to have a clue either. Remaining optimistic but would rather they hadnt released anything. Excited but slightly worried now.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I'm afraid that what has occurred is that the negotiations with Vicente have not yet concluded but the club have exercised their 12 month extension to protect their interests. Otherwise he would have been a free agent on 1st July. It would seems that although the deal is nearly done there is some way to go and there will be no formal announcement until next week. On the positive side I wouldn't be surprised if some type of a 2 year deal is then agreed.

That's what I reckon. Gus said we wouldn't extend it if he didn't want to stay so they must know he's staying but probably won't be able to conclude negotiations before his current contract runs out.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

I make that about right.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Sensible post. I'm going with this version of events until i hear something new from the club.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
Firstly I don't think he has completely signed, otherwise surely they would say 'Vicente signs new contract' similar to Caskeys one early in the week. Why the strange wording, 1. its not completely clear for all fans to understand. 2. They would know it would cause some suspicion.

That's because its not a new contract, it is the same contract from last season so he hasn't signed again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here