Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
So many doom mongers and conspiracy theorists, it's a wonder how some of you get out of bed in the morning without being struck down with some kind of conundrum that leaves you there for the rest of the day.

f*** me!!!

they wont listern, funny as f*** though some of the crap thats being said.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Good tweet from Brian Owen:

"Does the announcement on Vicente change much? If he hasn't confirmed if he's going or staying, then why let his contract expire?"

Looking at it that way it doesn't change much - just Albion guarding against the possibility that he might decide not to stay.

Well it does a bit, could go into real negativity but dont think that's needed!

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
My take on this is that he verbally agreed to come back and the club decided to exercise the option to let potential suitors know that he is a brighton player. And that the proper announcement will be made once he pitches up for training when his family issues are sorted.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another theory: it was a last minute announcement

I know with the evening announcements of Kuszczak and Bruno, it seems there are people working at the club late at night, but those seem to be signings and such that were going on all day. Perhaps Vicente phoned the club when they weren't expecting it, said yes, the word was sent down and someone threw the announcement together in a rush (there was no new signing announcement coming in 15mins, it was just announced), and perhaps it was someone who doesn't normally do the press releases (and since it was last minute no quotes from gus or vicente).

Or perhaps, someone thinks it's a bit noddy to make a big deal over retaining a player, even if it's Vicente, and in trying o come across as a proper business-like club with factual press releases, they have just misjudged the mood of the fans.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

"Does the announcement on Vicente change much? If he hasn't confirmed if he's going or staying, then why let his contract expire?"

Looking at it that way it doesn't change much - just Albion guarding against the possibility that he might decide not to stay.

It does change one thing. We're paying him for the next year, even if he doesn't want to play for us. So it's a gamble.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Palace trying to splash the zaha millions they could get in the next day or so on him? I guarantee we'd exercise the option.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Albion have declined to comment further. Gus mentions "personal situations"? If it's all straightforward, say so. Something's up. :mad:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If the club were forcing his hand and it could turn messy then I am certain they would have announced NOTHING to the fans at this stage.

you're ofter right Dan and that sounds areasonable assessment, but do you not think it a touch weird?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having said that, I'm going to immediately contradict myself. I suppose if he opted for a relatively low key move back home rather than to an English rival, they could reach some mutual agreement to terminate the deal.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just to re-iterate a point to those who think us sceptics are being miserable/panicky/doom-mongers:

Here is the TWO articles when our new GOALKEEPING coach joined:

Here is the article confirming that the most sought-after and loved Albion player for years (from Poyet as well as the fans) is signed up:

I personally can't understand why anyone DOESN'T think there's something odd.

There's also the possibility he's a little busy right now, what with a baby due.

FWIW, I don't like the press release wording. At first I was like most, delighted that he's ours for another 12 months. Now I'm not so sure, although if he is off we will at least get some cash for him so it will soften the blow a little. The club statement isn't what we'd expect when our most exciting player extends his contract-it's like it was written by a lawyer or accountant.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
do you know what, i am getting a bit sick of this Vicente will he / won't he sign.

If he wants to stay, bloody well sign, or bugger off to someone else. I know he is a great player, but if he leaves it to the last minute before saying adios, then we wont have any time to find a replacement.

FFS sort it out....

let my slating begin....

He's waiting to see what the East Stand Upper looks like first.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
My take on this is that he verbally agreed to come back and the club decided to exercise the option to let potential suitors know that he is a brighton player. And that the proper announcement will be made once he pitches up for training when his family issues are sorted.

Good call. Let's not forget he was in a fragile state last season, both mentally and physically. Couple that with a new baby being born in Spain, he had got a lot on his plate by his standards. I think it's low key good news, probably how Vicente would prefer it right now.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
There's also the possibility he's a little busy right now, what with a baby due.

That has nothing to do with what the club has written though. There could still be a quote from Poyet. I mean, we get half a page when they come up with a new pie flavour with quotes from the lady who makes the pastry.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
I can't really see what everyone is wetting their pants about. If he wants to stay then we've got him for at least another year. If he doesn't then we can sell him for decent money. Win win situation, although obviously the first scenario is preferable.

The only way I'd have been annoyed/concerned etc during this whole process is if we didn't take the 1 yr option that we were entitled to. People saying it might be against Vicente's wishes, well he would/should have known that the option was there when he signed his original contract 9 months ago.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Thats a good point. Maybe the club were hoping that Vicente would make up his mind much sooner and hoped they wouldn't have to go down this route.

Saying that why the quotes from Bruno and this coming after a day when Bruno signs.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If you exercise an option you do it to ward off other potential suitors. And you usually have to pay to exercise a new option but we are just excercising our option on the terms agreed when Vicente joined. It would be utterly mad of the club not to have done this especially when there has been no commitment from Vicente. We can still release him if his wife is unhappy but you can be sure there will be a substantial compensation clause included if he suddenly turns up at another British club in the next year.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
I am trying to remain positive, but the way Brian Owen writes this, well it kinda sounds a tad negative.

Brian Owen said:
Albion are offering no further comment at the moment.

More to this story than meets the eye, I reckon. ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports