Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd prefer "exercised" to "enforced", since we still don't know his position on it yet.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Reading between the lines I'd say he's happy to come back but the wife not so!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Why?

The "right noises" have already been made if we wanted to listen. We even had players tweeting the news and having to delete it because it was premature.
He hasn't signed a new contract. He has accepted the club invoking their option on the same terms that he signed a year ago. He is coming back willingly.

Gus said two signings to persuade him so I expect another very soon but I think Bruno was the real key and if you read his comments you will see how he stresses that his friendship with Vicente wasn't the only reason to be here. Not that it wasn't THE reason or A reason but NOT THE ONLY reason. No hint or suggestion that he was going to be here without his best friend but rather a tacit acknowledgement that they would both be here - for this year at least as it transpires.

Worry less. Enjoy the moment and wait for the next quality addition.

thank f*** a sensible post

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
You are terribly naive if you think this statement rules out the horrible possibility of him NOT playing here again.

While this is of course possible, we have now activated the clause. This means his contract expires 2013, rather than very soon. Even if someone else comes in, we, i.e. BHAFC are now in a better position. This is positive, even if he doesn't play again but I still see this as a step closer to him possibly playing for us again.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Ps I think he's going somewhere like Leicester who have shed loads of cash.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Don't think so - in that situation I think we'd be incredibly unlikely to do this. We always said we weren't going to force it on him, surely now at a time when it would mess up his family life we wouldn't decide to change our mind? I am firmly in the "other club" or "stubborn agent" camp.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Gus won't keep an unhappy player if he wants to stay in Spain. He will be hacked off if Southampton or Reading or another poacher comes calling.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i think the pr person may be regretting their wording.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So many doom mongers and conspiracy theorists, it's a wonder how some of you get out of bed in the morning without being struck down with some kind of conundrum that leaves you there for the rest of the day.

f*** me!!!

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
Who cares if this 'statement' is negative, for the next year he's under contract to us, which A means he's with us for the next year, or B he's off and we get money.

Win-Win situation in my eyes

Who knew it would be so negative when he eventually signs don't worry and be happy!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
This has got Sergei Gotsmanov written all over it.

I actually feel far more pessimistic since that statement as to me it only really confirms one thing - that we haven't managed to do a deal yet. I was pretty confident it was all in the bag by now.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Just to re-iterate a point to those who think us sceptics are being miserable/panicky/doom-mongers:

Here is the TWO articles when our new GOALKEEPING coach joined:

Andy Beasley has joined Albion as first-team goalkeeping coach, replacing Tony Godden, who has left the club.

Former Mansfield Town keeper Beasley, 48, previously worked with Gus Poyet at both Swindon Town and Leeds United.

Poyet said, "Andy is a top goalkeeping coach, who I know very well from my time at Swindon and Leeds.

"He has great credentials and he will get the very best out of our goalkeepers and I am delighted to welcome him to the club."

Hailing from Staffordshire, Beasley begins work with Albion with immediate effect, and has previously worked with both Casper Ankergren and Peter Brezovan.

Meanwhile, Poyet has thanked Godden for his work over the past two seasons.

"On behalf of the club, I would like to thank Tony for his efforts during my time as manager, and prior to my arrival, and we wish him well for the future."

Godden joined Albion in February 2009, brought in by Micky Adams to replace Paul Crichton, who left for Norwich City.

Former West Bromwich Albion and Chelsea stopper Godden also served under Poyet's immediate predecessor Russell Slade.

Andy Beasley is relishing the new season after joining the club as goalkeeping coach earlier today.

Andy, who replaces Tony Godden, has worked with Gus Poyet at both Swindon Town and Leeds United, and is looking forward to linking up with the Albion boss for a third time.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "After finishing my playing career at 33 due to injury, I spent over nine years as a coach at Nottingham Forest before linking up with Dennis Wise and Gus at Swindon.

"I built up an immediate rapport with them and when they took the job at Leeds, they asked me to continue as part of their coaching team.

"I remained at Leeds until Simon Grayson left the club last season and when I received the call from Gus to come down to Brighton, I was delighted to be given the opportunity.

"There's a great buzz about the club and having met the management team earlier this week, I'm aware there's also a tremendous team spirit here and a real determination to do well this season. I'm really looking forward to the challenge."

Gus is not the only familiar face to be found at the Amex, with Peter Brezovan and Casper Ankergren having worked alongside Andy at Swindon and Leeds respectively.

"I was only at Swindon three months but in that time I built up a good relationship with Peter. He was young and inexperienced but had great potential and he was outstanding in the games while I was there. Unfortunately he suffered a bad arm injury which curtailed his progress but I'm pleased to be linking up with him again.

"The same can be said about Casper, who Dennis and Gus brought to Leeds to challenge Neil Sullivan and Tony Warner. We had a super working relationship and Casper's work ethic was fantastic. It was no surprise that he made the first-team jersey his own."

Both keepers will be joined by Tomasz Kuszczak this season and Beasley believes the competition for a first-team place can only benefit the team's progress.

"Tomasz is a top-class keeper, you have to be to sign for a club like Manchester United, and he also showed his talents while on loan at Watford last season.

"To have three keepers of this calibre at Brighton is brilliant for me as a coach and, more importantly, for Gus as the manager because it will only increase the competition and the performance levels.

"Now I just can't wait to get going. It is my job to make sure that all three are on top form and ready to play for the team if called upon. That's the challenge for them and I'm sure they will all rise to that challenge."

Andy, 48, was a professional at Luton Town, Mansfield Town, Doncaster Rovers and Chesterfield. He twice won promotion with Mansfield and was part of the Chesterfield set-up which reached the FA Cup semi-finals against Middlesbrough in 1997.

Here is the article confirming that the most sought-after and loved Albion player for years (from Poyet as well as the fans) is signed up:

Brighton & Hove Albion have exercised the option of a one-year extension on the contract of Vicente Rodriguez.

The former Spanish international signed a one-year deal, with a one-year option, when he joined Albion from Valencia last September.

The club has activated that option, meaning Vicente is now under contract with Albion until 30th June 2013.

I personally can't understand why anyone DOESN'T think there's something odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here