Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't think the club would publicly announce the contract extension if he were to leave.

To me it looks like a move to ward off interest or make sure that we benefit if he's a got a move lined up. However, that is a very good point. In those circumstances, it would be much better not to announce it at all. Let's hope that's the reason.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Very odd wording, but although I have my concerns my take on it is...............why announce it if the player hadn't verbally said yes. If he was about to sign for someone else then the club could have quietly activated the clause with no real publicity. The club knows that by announcing this then they have raised our expectations, imagine the disapointment if we now sell him. It doesn't make sense. Neither does forcing a player to play for us, something that Poyet is not about.

The other glimmer of hope is that in the other Argus aticle with Bruno, he mentions that Vicente signing wasn't the main reason why he chose the Albion. But reading that it implies that its part of the reason.

I think all this has happened very quickly. Bruno has signed which suits Vicente and so Vicente has also agrred to stay so the club has exercised the year option.

Plus its a bit co incidental that Bruno signs yesterday and Vicente today.

The club probably wants to put more play on Vicente signing when the man is in the UK and they can show him with shirt tec.

Or am I being to optimistic?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I'm actually tempted to agree. Having re-read it, that article isn't aimed at the fans in my opinion - it's aimed at getting a message out to someone or out into the general domain.

Could be an agent issue rather than with Vicente himself though? E.g. Vicente says he is happy to come back, agent is still trying to pimp him out left right and centre...

Do you really think that the Albion would do business with an agent in this manner. If an agent is sniffing around he could be told this news without the rest of us knowing... I hope!

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Well sorry, but I'm so happy.

This means we are closer than we've ever been to seeing him don the stripes again. At one point it looked like this may not happen.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well sorry, but I'm so happy.

This means we are closer than we've ever been to seeing him don the stripes again. At one point it looked like this may not happen.

You are terribly naive if you think this statement rules out the horrible possibility of him NOT playing here again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think June 30th is the cut off for contracts so we have to activate it by then or he becomes a free agent, lets face it if he committed himself for another season here then there would have been a more fulsome announcement

Agreed

Or maybe SOUTHAMPTON.

also crossed my mind, yes.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
I'm afraid I share reservations. It's not just the wording of the announcement, or the fact that we have exercised an option which Gus said we wouldn't, it's also the fact that the statement is so guarded and that Gus says in Argus "we look forward to seeing the end of all the personal situations with Vicente."

I'm holding my celebrations for now.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Ok. Thread summary for any late joiners

No one on NSC knows what the f*** is going on.

No one knows Vicente and no one was present at the contract discussion.

I'm going to take the press statement for its facts and leave it at that.

Just logged on to what I thought was good news and assume still is but thanks for this summary amongst all the crap on here.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Do you really think that the Albion would do business with an agent in this manner. If an agent is sniffing around he could be told this news without the rest of us knowing... I hope!

Hence my comment about getting it into the public domain.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
If he was about to leave for another club did the club have to put out a statement about the contract being extended? I'd rather just find out we've sold him!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think READING.

it was rumoured a few months ago he was one of their TOP targets and they now have a russian squillionaire owner? who knows whats really going on, the club have left more questions than answers.

"Vicente will be an Albion player next season, having agreed to return" would have closed every door and been crystal clear.

The club are enforcing a 1 year option and refuse to comment further, with Gus saying earlier he hopes Vicente sorts out his personal issues and returns, at this stage doesw not convince me we yet have a willing Vicente returning to play for us

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
My take. If if was staying they would have said they were delighted to confirm he would be a Brighton player next season. It says that no where. My take is he is going and they have activated his clause tho it's bizarre they have made this public.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why not just say they are 'happy to announce he has decided to stay and as such is now under contract until 2013'. Someone is trying to get him without a doubt.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My glass is half full on this one.

He is under contract to Brighton & Hove Albion (you know, the team we all love and support) until or unless we are told otherwise, surely that is something to be happy about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here