Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I suspect we are looking at a breakdown in communications here. Have the club lost patience and issued an ultimatum, that they now feel obliged to follow through ? Because their calls are going unanswered.
Remember the Caldie to Saints business ? I think we were lucky that time.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think the club are just using the correct terminology. I doubt they even thought about how people would look into this. If they had and had thought it could worry people they would of just said something like "Vicente is staying with us. They've just told it exactly how it is, we had the option to keep him for another year if he was happy to stay and it looks like he is.

Chill out everyone, it's all cool !!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Instead of everyone bitching about Vicente's return can we please focus on the good news ? Just the thought of him ghosting past 6 Palace players from the half way line and leaving Speroni no chance when he unleashes a thunderbolt from 25 yards into the back of the net makes me feel very happy.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Instead of everyone bitching about Vicente's return can we please focus on the good news ? Just the thought of him ghosting past 6 Palace players from the half way line and leaving Speroni no chance when he unleashes a thunderbolt from 25 yards into the net makes me feel very happy.

I guess people are bitching because this is the news we've been waiting for all year and the club have slightly botched the announcement. As someone mentioned the word 'delighted' would have helped!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think of it another way though. The club sent an email to all supporters announcing the signing of a right back most people had never heard of, to drum up ticket sales. Compare that to the saviour that is vicente, upon whom everyone is relying as chief flair merchant, and we get a short factual statement about a contract extension. If it was a straightforward case that he is staying don't you think they'd be making more of a song and dance about it?

Why?

The "right noises" have already been made if we wanted to listen. We even had players tweeting the news and having to delete it because it was premature.
He hasn't signed a new contract. He has accepted the club invoking their option on the same terms that he signed a year ago. He is coming back willingly.

Gus said two signings to persuade him so I expect another very soon but I think Bruno was the real key and if you read his comments you will see how he stresses that his friendship with Vicente wasn't the only reason to be here. Not that it wasn't THE reason or A reason but NOT THE ONLY reason. No hint or suggestion that he was going to be here without his best friend but rather a tacit acknowledgement that they would both be here - for this year at least as it transpires.

Worry less. Enjoy the moment and wait for the next quality addition.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Well Bruno is quoted in the Argus as saying that he's "not just here because of Vicente" and I would think that therefore he's spoken to the man and that he's staying !

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Have to agree with this. Gus said that he wouldn't invoke this clause to force Vicente to stay, but wanted Vicente to decide to stay for himself. If Vicente didn't want to stay, Gus was prepared to let him leave without invoking the clause. Given the current finances, I can't see Paul Barber being happy with the latter - as other posters have said: if Vicente wants to leave, it would make sense to invoke the clause and be able to command a transfer fee. So, from the wording of the statement, I don't want to take anything for granted.
Having said that, though, if we were taking up the option just so that we could sell him on, I wouldn't expect them to announce JUST the extension - I would expect them to announce this at the point we agreed the sale, so that the announcement would be "Vicente to join xxxx, for a fee of ££££ due to our taking up the option...". So I'm hoping that it's just worded like this because Vicente's still not over here to be able to sign any bits of paper at the moment. Anyone know whether he IS still in Spain waiting for the birth of little Rodders?

Thing is, he doesn't even need to be on this planet for them to make the article seem a little bit more agreeable.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the club are just using the correct terminology. I doubt they even thought about how people would look into this. If they had and had thought it could worry people they would of just said something like "Vicente is staying with us. They've just told it exactly how it is, we had the option to keep him for another year if he was happy to stay and it looks like he is.

Chill out everyone, it's all cool !!

Instead of everyone bitching about Vicente's return can we please focus on the good news ? Just the thought of him ghosting past 6 Palace players from the half way line and leaving Speroni no chance when he unleashes a thunderbolt from 25 yards into the back of the net makes me feel very happy.

It's only great news if that IS what it means though. At least we will now have a few quid toward a replacement, if he rocks up at Reading in a week's time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect we are looking at a breakdown in communications here. Have the club lost patience and issued an ultimatum, that they now feel obliged to follow through ? Because their calls are going unanswered.

Frankly ridiculous.

The lack of communication is not between the club and Vicente

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess people are bitching because this is the news we've been waiting for all year and the club have slightly botched the announcement. As someone mentioned the word 'delighted' would have helped!

No they're not. They're bitching because they don't know if it IS the news we've been waiting for.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ok. Thread summary for any late joiners

No one on NSC knows what the f*** is going on.

No one knows Vicente and no one was present at the contract discussion.

I'm going to take the press statement for its facts and leave it at that.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I'm actually tempted to agree. Having re-read it, that article isn't aimed at the fans in my opinion - it's aimed at getting a message out to someone or out into the general domain.

Could be an agent issue rather than with Vicente himself though? E.g. Vicente says he is happy to come back, agent is still trying to pimp him out left right and centre...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's outta here. Seems pretty clear to me. And to a rival Championship club, not back to Spain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here