Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think everyone is reading into the wording just a bit too much. If Vicente didnt want to stay there is no way we would force him and keep an unhappy player. Technically the club is probably right and we are just triggering the existing agreement now all parties are happy the terms.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He's not a 36 year old ex-Wigan player

He is VICENTE. I doubt he would have had any sort of concern.

On the basis of what exactly? He hadn't really played much football for a while, he'd made an attack on the Valencia medical team and he ended up signing for realistically an average championship side. I would say there is every chance he could have ended on the scrap head if he had a full season on the treatment table.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
ARGUS:

Albion have taken up their one-year option on the contract of Spanish star Vicente.

The former Valencia playmaker is now committed to the Seagulls until June 30 next year.

Albion are offering no further comment at the moment although boss Gus Poyet told reporters this afternoon: "We look forward to seeing the end of all the personal situations with Vicente and bringing him back."

:shrug:

Sounds LIKE Gus has FORCED him back

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why didn't the guy who delivered him the contract at Gatwick last year photocopy it beforehand? Some people have no foresight. :rolleyes:

Oh well. At least we can now have 50 threads a day of "will Vicente really stay?"

Edit: Sorry that should say Vincente.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I love conspiracy theorists - always looking for rain in a clear sky or Fosters bleedin' lager in a barrel of Harveys

Think of it another way though. The club sent an email to all supporters announcing the signing of a right back most people had never heard of, to drum up ticket sales. Compare that to the saviour that is vicente, upon whom everyone is relying as chief flair merchant, and we get a short factual statement about a contract extension. If it was a straightforward case that he is staying don't you think they'd be making more of a song and dance about it?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
He certainly wasn't on 20k last year. I can confirm that. Not even close. He was a bargain.

Obviously not a clue on what his new deal is.

According to somebody that I know who works for the club giving tours, he was on a fair bit more than that, but on a pay as you play basis.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The shit's chess it ain't checkers.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
OMG what is it with all the doom and gloom on this site.... vicente is STAYING!!!

its not doom and gloom mate, every fan to a man loves Vicente and was desperate for him to stay. The 1 year option is in the clubs favour, he had a 1 year contract and Brighton held a 1 year additional option. If we didn't exercise it, he would be a free agent without a club on July 1st and not a brighton player any more even if Vicente wanted to stay, if we didn't get him to sign a new contract or exercise the option he is effectively out of contract.

I am thrilled he will be dazzling us all again, but taking into consideration Vicente's family, his new child and even the clubs efforts by signing his friend Bruno, I still wouldn't feel comfortable compelling someone to stay, who was from a foreign land with wife and new kid, however much I loved that player or what he means to our club.

It may well be likely that is NOT the case and Vicente has informed the club he wants to stay, but the wording of the club text and the official statement just saying the club has chosen to exercise the option which effectively means Vicente WILL have to stay under contract whether he chose to or he didn't is open to interpretation, and the way in which it is (maybe badly) written doesn't tell us fans Vicente's thoughts.

I guess the player has chosen to stay as its a big decision for his family and I hope that is the case, but the wording from the club with no statement from Vicente and the club offering "no further comment" is odd imho

Last edited:

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
He agreed to it already, when he first signed for us. My understanding was that there would be an automatic extension if he played enough games- which he didn't- and also an option for the club. When you sign the first contract, you're agreeing to the fact that the club has an option to extend it for another year if they want to, so you don't get to renegotiate that when you choose.

I was always under the impression that the deal was done to protect the club, and that's still the case now. No, Poyet doesn't want to keep unhappy players (particularly not one of his quality), but then again you could always have some sort of gentleman's agreement with an individual that works along the lines of "look, we know you'd rather be home in Spain, but we've looked after you, invested in you, and we don't want to lose out, so if you want to go to Spain, we guarantee to let you go, and we'll demand a fee of £xxx". Nothing excessive, but enough to recoup the club's investment in him.

I don't want to piss on anyone's bonfire, far from it, I hope as much as anyone that he stays, and the news prior to this has all been relatively positive. I just want to wait and see what happens on this one at the moment, because I don't want to get excited and end up disappointed.

Have to agree with this. Gus said that he wouldn't invoke this clause to force Vicente to stay, but wanted Vicente to decide to stay for himself. If Vicente didn't want to stay, Gus was prepared to let him leave without invoking the clause. Given the current finances, I can't see Paul Barber being happy with the latter - as other posters have said: if Vicente wants to leave, it would make sense to invoke the clause and be able to command a transfer fee. So, from the wording of the statement, I don't want to take anything for granted.
Having said that, though, if we were taking up the option just so that we could sell him on, I wouldn't expect them to announce JUST the extension - I would expect them to announce this at the point we agreed the sale, so that the announcement would be "Vicente to join xxxx, for a fee of ££££ due to our taking up the option...". So I'm hoping that it's just worded like this because Vicente's still not over here to be able to sign any bits of paper at the moment. Anyone know whether he IS still in Spain waiting for the birth of little Rodders?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Nothing is ever simple with Brighton. The moment I see a picture of him at training wearing a Brighton training shirt is the moment I chill and light the cigar.

Or is it the Argus playing mind games

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the basis of what exactly? He hadn't really played much football for a while, he'd made an attack on the Valencia medical team and he ended up signing for realistically an average championship side. I would say there is every chance he could have ended on the scrap head if he had a full season on the treatment table.
Weren't we talking about why we didn't extend his contract a few months ago? He knew he was ok by then.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
My view is that the club could have extended the option without making it public but having put in on the website, twitter etc they are extremely confident that he will be back but until his baby is born there is a small chance he might choose to stay in Spain

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quite. It clearly isn't good news.

Good news would be "Vicente is playing for the Albion next season"

Yes and no. It's certainly not the news I was hoping for, but if he ends up in August in the Prem, and we have a new star, purchased with the £1m we get for him, then surely that's better than him going home, and us getting nothing?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My view is that the club could have extended the option without making it public but having put in on the website, twitter etc they are extremely confident that he will be back but until his baby is born there is a small chance he might choose to stay in Spain

I agree, it may be to ward off any potential suitors as they may have emerged sooner or later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here