Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Veltman v Lamptey

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Not even close. Tariq is a useful squad player with huge defensive deficiencies that he may or not improve.
JV is the real deal. In several positions.
Similarly to Lallana (& in recent memory, Bruno), the whole team is more comfortable & professional with him in it. Especially as we step up levels

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Exactly. One is a full international mega-experienced less-than-a-million pounds phenomenon and the other is a young bloke, full international who is still learning his trade. Also worth remembering that Lamps is now playing for a coach where the ball produces the pace (listen to Lallana) and any supposed diminishing of his hamstring strength shouldn’t be a huge problem.
Spot on - it’s also a perfect combination of two totally differing approaches, which is a nightmare to play against… especially when one replaces the other during a match, as was keenly illustrated yesterday… for me, they’re both key players :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sad for Lamps yesterday but Veltman I trust a lot… The odd miss pass aside.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My love for Veltman is one I profess a lot on here. Very concerned about the contract situation and really hope we tie him down for a few more years to come.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Best answer so far. As is the one from @Kosh, ie, we love them both.
Veltman is so smart, consistent and dependable.
Lamptey has a higher ceiling, but will need to improve his passing to get there. We just might have one or two people around at the club to help with that.
Higher ceiling as what?
A sprinter?
Certainly not as any kind of defender

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The upcoming fixtures Vs Leeds & Palace where both will play anti football may require the added attacking contribution that Lamptey offers

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Veltman is a better defender but not as good attacking as lamps .
100% and theyre both excellent players whose strengths compliment the others weaker areas.
Our squad is so much better to have both of them. Plenty of games when Veltman is the natural first choice and some some where Lamptey is the better choice. We've got excellent options at RB and to lose either would be upsetting.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
At what ? Defending- yes. Sprinting - no. Going past players - no. Dark arts - 100% yes. Shooting- jury out. Scoring with his tit - yes.
He’s a better footballer full stop now. Our results and goals conceded record is so much better with Veltman in the team.

Lamprey was all about pace, unless he regains that and his confidence he’s only half the player he used to be.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
One is better defensively, the other is better offensively. If we had a right back who possessed both their qualities they probably wouldnt be playing for us, but we're blessed to have both options.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Velts is definitely the 'go to guy' for big games. Absolutely solid and is lucky to have Solly ahead of him who is a big attacking threat on his own and diligent.

I quite like Lampteys cameos when the opposition is tiring but not sure he's too good as a starter currently. Largely due to his use of the ball.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Both have unique qualities, i'd rather Veltman started because his plays the dark arts better than anyone else at the squad but they play completely different games. But I'm not upset to see Lamptey get a start either.

Lamptey will get up and support his winger, often overlapping, Veltman occasionally does this but I noticed against West Ham a lot of the time he'd slot into a central midfield position when we were attacking allowing our other central midfielders to push further forward and join the attack.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Veltman. Every time. And then Gross after that at RB instead of Lamptey.

I was hoping Lamptey would go out on loan in January to be honest as he needs regular game time which at the moment, he’s not good enough to get with us unfortunately. I think there’s a decision there to be made in the summer.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If we want to go up another level I feel we can do better than both tbh.

Lamptey is a bit of a mess post injury. You can see he has speed and talent but he's just too inconsistent.

Veltman is solid, but too slow for a de zerbi team and his passing is not up to scratch.

If I had to choose now, would pick velty.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People forget how young and raw TL is, he’s maturing into his body and hopefully with time he will develop, Veltman is already there.

Also a thing to bare in mind when people think Lamptey is better going forward than Veltman is the system, our full backs do what Man City full backs do and go into central midfield when we are attacking, that’s why Gross at full back works well for us and this is where Veltman far exceeds Tariq in current ability IMO.

Overall, I would say Tariq has a higher ceiling, but Veltman is a more rounded player, but that’s no surprise given the experience difference

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Had high hopes for Tariq but post injury not quite the same, right now I'd favour Veltman.

But he's 8 years younger than Joel, still could come good

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They are both wonderful, but very different players.

RDZ will continue as he is doing, interchanging them to carry out specific plans against specific opponents.

I get the point about Lamptey not having hit the heights since his return from injury. Personally I still think he's holding something back pace-wise and not making the tackles as hard as he was. I also agree with those saying, he looks ideally suited to a RWB slot where if he is caught on the ball, a burly RCB like Webby will be along shortly to shovel the advancing oppo winger into touch.

The other thing I'd say about Lamptey is that it's easy to forget just how inexperienced he is. 22 years old, but lost a year and a half to injury. We shouldn't be expecting any more consistency from him than we would from some of the other young players we're bringing through.

I'd be more than happy to see him in our starting line up next week. On the other hand, Veltman is a top right back as well. Options, options

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
They are both wonderful, but very different players.

RDZ will continue as he is doing, interchanging them to carry out specific plans against specific opponents.

I get the point about Lamptey not having hit the heights since his return from injury. Personally I still think he's holding something back pace-wise and not making the tackles as hard as he was. I also agree with those saying, he looks ideally suited to a RWB slot where if he is caught on the ball, a burly RCB like Webby will be along shortly to shovel the advancing oppo winger into touch.

The other thing I'd say about Lamptey is that it's easy to forget just how inexperienced he is. 22 years old, but lost a year and a half to injury. We shouldn't be expecting any more consistency from him than we would from some of the other young players we're bringing through.

I'd be more than happy to see him in our starting line up next week. On the other hand, Veltman is a top right back as well. Options, options
I don't like Webster beside/ behind Tariq. That 'burlyCB' has the same propensity to sloppy final pass & naive positioning. JV & Lamptey together is fine with me. They compliment each other well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here