Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Varndean College & Millwall

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
When I was at Varndean (school), Football, Working class culture and habitats were viewable every day. Surely it's not Latte's, Hockey and Rowing club these days not with people from Hollingdean at any rate - Hockey sticks and Oars would have been considered weapons to thwack that kid round the head who was the son of that bloke on the council before luzzing a hot coffee in his face.

Stick that poster in the Irony bin.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
When I was at Varndean (school), Football, Working class culture and habitats were viewable every day. Surely it's not Latte's, Hockey and Rowing club these days not with people from Hollingdean at any rate - Hockey sticks and Oars would have been considered weapons to thwack that kid round the head who was the son of that bloke on the council before luzzing a hot coffee in his face.

Stick that poster in the Irony bin.

I agree, my times at Varndean similarly bore no relation to the contents of that poster.

folkwall

Dec 10, 2014
well i will be wearing my cp company jackett cost me £400 pounds keeps me nice and warm my son who is down there at uni will be wearing a stone island coat £300 my family come from south and east london and have worked hard all our lives i class myself as working class just done well

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
well i will be wearing my cp company jackett cost me £400 pounds keeps me nice and warm my son who is down there at uni will be wearing a stone island coat £300 my family come from south and east london and have worked hard all our lives i class myself as working class just done well

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
There's a poster on here called Varndean VI Form College - wonder if he's behind it

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
B4gDm60IYAA0snE.jpg

Blimey ... already no Harvey's in the WSL ... with 24 hours to go should the caterers be sorting this out .....

Dont get why it is patronising? They are trying to study football culture - what's so bad about this?

This is not hogwarts toff academy - it's Varndean, one of our best state comps - a school we should be very proud of (and I say that as someone whose kids go next door). Can we not spare them the silly tabloidy pop at them?

All the points that you're wetting your knickers over are actually topics covered in many, many case studies, peer reviewed journals and text books. Can they be related to a football ground? Yes, of course they can so stop being so sensitive. If it were Eton coming down I'd half understand, but Varndean? Half of the kids going will have come from Working Class backgrounds themselves.

I notice nobody was outraged, or probably even noticed, "women challenging gender norms". If you really don't believe me and think that these posh upstarts are coming down from their ivory tower to mock us working class salt of the earth folk with their stereotypes then search for all of their points of interest on: http://scholar.google.co.uk/ or if you really feel like doing some digging you can check out Pubmed but it's quite academically heavy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/advanced

Thanks - said what I was trying to say only better. The idea that the young working class kids who attend Varndean shouldn't be embracing those big fancy intellectual ideas is the ultimate in patronising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here