Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Varifocal glasses

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Had an eye test today and the opthalm..optol..octoph.. eye lady suggested that as I have to swap glasses to use the laptop or phone I should give varifocals a try.

What do others think of them ?
I think there are a couple of ways of looking at this…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I started wearing glasses about 5 years ago. I also work at a computer. I initially had regular glasses which were a pain as I had to take them off for some tasks. I switched to varifocals and have never looked back. They cost about twice the price but given I am at work and on NSC for 8 hours a day it was a worthy investment.

Corrected.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you need only for Computer and Close work you might be better with an Office lens which incorporate a power for Screen use especially if your screen is directly in front of you and a reading area in the lower portion, it is similar to a Varifocal but less going on.
Didn't know about these and found that is because Asda don't offer them. I've booked a test at Specsavers to see what they can do for me as Varifocals do not work for me and I am switching between glasses - most of which are old prescription - to try and get something to work

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit weird walking off pavements to start with as the drop is difficult to judge until you get used to them. Persist - they are great. I usually use specsavers and get a prescription clear pair and a tinted pair on their 2 for 1 deal - you still need to read when it’s sunny.

Last edited:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Bit weird walking off pavements to start with as the drop is difficult to judge until you get used to them. Persist - they are great. I usually use specsavers and get a prescription clear pair and a tinted pair on their 2 for 1 deal - you still need to read when it’s sunny.
Another shout for Specsavers. The Lewes branch are great and last time offered me a 25% discount on my variofocals for being a Lewes Rooks owner!

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Didn't know about these and found that is because Asda don't offer them. I've booked a test at Specsavers to see what they can do for me as Varifocals do not work for me and I am switching between glasses - most of which are old prescription - to try and get something to work

We do quite a few of them, certainly better if you need them principally for Computer/arms length and reading at 1/3 metre to 1/4 metre away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When people say varifocals don’t work or take time what do you mean?

I had some made and have not had any issues at all. The person who made them testing my eye sight at different angles and distances etc. I think it took 90 minutes in total. Is this typical? The end result is quite amazing and I have gone from wearing them just for work to pretty much all the time now.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Like most, I love varifocals and have been wearing them for years and adjusted to them immediately except for one pair, which I never adjusted to at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Any reason, TB, only I’m booked in for Seaford later this month, but Lewes is an option.
They weren’t very good when my husband went. I had been going to Eastbourne as I worked not far from their shop, and had great service, as I did in Yorkshire.
He goes to Lewes like myself now. They were great when I had my cataracts done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here