Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Varifocal glasses

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Does take a couple of weeks to get used to them, but I find they are very very good.

However, as a word of advice.......never look down at the steps on the
stairs as you descend. Always look ahead. I have fallen twice on the last two or three steps. They distort where the step is.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Had an eye test today and the opthalm..optol..octoph.. eye lady suggested that as I have to swap glasses to use the laptop or phone I should give varifocals a try.

What do others think of them ?

If you need only for Computer and Close work you might be better with an Office lens which incorporate a power for Screen use especially if your screen is directly in front of you and a reading area in the lower portion, it is similar to a Varifocal but less going on.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I went for bifocals and find them great. I like the clear distinction between the bottom part for reading and the higher part for distance. My fears that the line would be annoying proved incorrect.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have them for intermediate (desktop pc monitor) and close up vision, they’re great. I have a blue light filter to minimise the effect on sleep from late evening NSC!

Mrs.W recently got varifocal specs but just couldn’t get on with them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
After repeated eye tests last year I was told I needed reading, intermediate and ‘TV’ glasses for the first time, didn’t fancy varifocals so just got the intermediate and TV ones as the reading prescription felt far too strong and just read at arms length with the weaker intermediates and somehow my eyes adapted (not really possible I know) so for the last year I’ve used the intermediates for both close up and arm’s length screen work with no issue.

The moral - avoid using Vision Express if possible.
Sadly, they are all out to fleece you if they can. They do this by charging extra for coatings and Hi Index ( thinner ) lenses plus suggesting multiple pairs for different focal length usage. Get a pair of mid range varifocals and they should do.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
I have expensive glasses from an independent in Canterbury. But I have some cheapo spares using my prescription 'just in case'. Now I have learned to not sit on my spectacles, this has become a pointless exercise.

Get the most expensive lenses you can afford. Coated to reduce scratching. But not f***ing tinted or light reactive, unless you are Joe f***ing 90.
My new profile pic ... it's a good likeness ;)

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 22.14.48.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had an eye test today and the opthalm..optol..octoph.. eye lady suggested that as I have to swap glasses to use the laptop or phone I should give varifocals a try.

I started wearing glasses about 5 years ago. I also work at a computer. I initially had regular glasses which were a pain as I had to take them off for some tasks. I switched to varifocals and have never looked back. They cost about twice the price but given I am at work for 8 hours a day it was a worthy investment.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I couldn't get on with them tbh. I kept having to move my head up and down and then the glasses and adjust all the time.
Prefer one pair for computer/reading and one for long distance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
However, as a word of advice.......never look down at the steps on the stairs as you descend.
What’s your experience with looking down on people? I find my glasses are fine for this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm short sighted, but I am also a chronic cheapskate. I don't need glasses for reading at all, just purely distance (for TV/Driving/cinema/Amex mainly).

I am fortunate enough to have quite a pronounced bridge on my nose. So if perusing my phone, Kindle or newspaper whilst watching TV, I shift my glasses at an angle onto it. That way, I can glance down and read under the frames, and glance up and see the TV through the lenses. Works perfectly. Been doing it for years, although it drives my doris mad seeing me wearing glasses at a "stupid tilted angle", a bit like Eric Morecombe.

Which is also a bonus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I took to varifocals straight away. I’ve been going to Specsavers for decades (they’re all franchises so not alike) and could try them for a week free of charge to see if I got on with them.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Had two pairs of glasses for ages which eventually boiled my pish having to switch between the buggers.

I adjusted to varifocals really quickly. I use Specsavers tailor made lenses and they suit me fine and no doubt made the change easier. Having to wear glasses all the time, I'd say go for the best lenses and most comfortable frames you can afford. Also, I still have a cheap pair of glasses for screenwork of I have to spend more than half an hour on the laptop.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Be mindful of them trying to prescribe custom varifocals for desk based computer work. They do work in that scenario but may not be ideal for normal wear. If you sit at a desk the simpler option is to adjust the distance from your screen and/or the height of your seat.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I started wearing glasses about 5 years ago. I also work at a computer. I initially had regular glasses which were a pain as I had to take them off for some tasks. I switched to varifocals and have never looked back. They cost about twice the price but given I am at work for 8 hours a day it was a worthy investment.
Does anyone ever creep up behind you?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have worn varifocals for years and I would not be without them. I don’t remember much problem getting used to them.. I certainly could not be doing with changing specs to read. !
The only difficulty has been if I need to read something high up, like a notice , since the reading segment is down the bottom half. At work I had to have my computer terminal right down on the desk to make it readable.
But they are great. When I was working I had the top grade ones but now a pensioner, I have dropped to the cheaper standard lenses with no issues at all.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023

Brilliant, had them for years, even have riactolite varifocals that also act as sunglasses, would'nt be with out them...

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I couldn't get on with them tbh. I kept having to move my head up and down and then the glasses and adjust all the time.
Prefer one pair for computer/reading and one for long distance.

My experience exactly and contrary to HWT’s experience my long distance glasses are transitions and kept for daytime driving or sunny days. I have a normal pair for night driving and dull days. Another plain pair for reading or pc work . Yes having three pairs of glasses is a bit of a pain but covers all bases and how long does it take to switch them?

I hated the Varifocals I had and couldn’t get on with them at all

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have worn varifocals for years and I would not be without them. I don’t remember much problem getting used to them.. I certainly could not be doing with changing specs to read. !
The only difficulty has been if I need to read something high up, like a notice , since the reading segment is down the bottom half. At work I had to have my computer terminal right down on the desk to make it readable.
But they are great. When I was working I had the top grade ones but now a pensioner, I have dropped to the cheaper standard lenses with no issues at all.
Is there any difference between the expensive ones and the cheaper? Do you know what makes them cheaper? Is it the quality of the glass? I guess a lens which changes over a small range must be expensive to make so something is lost with the varying focus in a cheaper pair?

babyshambles

Jul 21, 2004
Brighton
Absolutely this!!

Anyone I know who says they didn't get on with them it was invariably because they went cheap. With varifocal lenses you most definitely get what you pay for. In particular you'll have minimal distortions at the edges of the lenses.

Also be wary of who fits them as it's a skilled task. Don't get the Saturday person and avoid Specsavers.

When choosing frames you need to be mindful that you need a reasonable height in the lens frame area. A good optician should advise if a particular frame might look nice but would be unsuitable for a varifocal lenses.

I converted to varifocals about 6 years ago and had no issues adapting.
Thanks for the insights. I read your comment about Specsavers, where would you recommend if not there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here