Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR today

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Based on the new handball rulings this season the Mitoma "handball" should never have been given handball.

Mac Allister it came off his hip.

Lenglet handled in the box, nothing given.

Mitoma clearly fouled for a pen, nothing given.

Dunk shirt pulled back by Lenglet nothing given.

Porro high tackle but because Mitoma didn't make the most of it not given a red.

Perisic could have been given a red for his two footed high lunge.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
lots on twitter saying we're being robbed, pundits, neutrals even a Spurs fan spotted. :nono:
I spoke with two Spurs fans on leaving the ground and they totally agreed. Said we deserved to win and couldn’t believe the VAR handball decision. Doesn’t give us any points though!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's the goalscorer handball rule, so there is no subjectivity to it, allowing the VAR to make the call without the ref reviewing it. Any contact between the ball and the arm from the goal scorer means the goal can't stand.

For Mitoma, the handball was the onfield decision (not overturned by VAR), but I believe for Mac Allister the onfield decision was a goal (overturned by VAR).
bbc printed the goal, was definatly overturned by VAR.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
bbc printed the goal, was definatly overturned by VAR.
It was. I get notifications from Tor Alarm, Flashscore, BBCapp, and the PLapp, as well as watching Soccer Saturday, and all gave it as a goal, and then ruled out by VAR.
Incorrectly, as the ball was above the sleeve line on Mitoma.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Based on the new handball rulings this season the Mitoma "handball" should never have been given handball.

Mac Allister it came off his hip (No, it was his arm)

Lenglet handled in the box, nothing given. (Didn't see that)

Mitoma clearly fouled for a pen, nothing given. (Penalty)

Dunk shirt pulled back by Lenglet nothing given. (Yes, but a lot of that doesn't get given. Albion have got away with a few of those this season)

Porro high tackle but because Mitoma didn't make the most of it not given a red (Mitoma was a bit too keen to get on with it. Porro could have been in trouble, but probably not an intervention)

Perisic could have been given a red for his two footed high lunge. (Yellow- Umpire's Call)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought VAR had a good game today.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So as I remember it - and I'm currently fuming so my memory might not be 100% - we had five VAR decisions go against us.

1) Handball by Spurs player in Spurs's penalty box. From the one replay I saw it looked like he essentially punched the ball.

2) Mitoma goal disallowed for handball. Looked like top of arm/bottom of shoulder. T-shirt line?

3)Welbeck goal disallowed for handball. Hit Mac allister's elbow as he turns his back on the shot and pulls his arm tight against his body. I don't know why that is handball when the only way it's not a penalty in the box is if they have their arms tight against their bodies(apart form penalty appeal number 1 today...)

4) Mitoma penalty appeal. I mean, what the actual f***. Mitoma has his foot stamped on by Hojberg who was nowhere near the ball or even trying to play it.

5) Dunk penalty appeal. Defender has two fistfuls of Dunk's shirt and is clearly holding/pulling him back.

How do none of those go our way? Mitoma's penalty appeal shouldn't even be under consideration, it's as clear a penalty as you could wish to see.

Thet say that luck evens out over the season. For our VAR luck to even out we'll need the VAR official to run on the pitch pick the ball up and throw it in the man u goal during the semi final. Twice. And then he can do it another couple of times in the final.
Solly March pushed over when he was clean through too. Maybe not as bad as it looked from behind the goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perisic grabbing a 2nd ball and throwing it on the pitch to stop a quick Brighton corner too. Probably not against any rules but just another example of how officials let them get away with things without even having a word with them.
Yes it is against the rules. If it was a fair assumption that they had a throw, and he took it to get on with the game, it's fair, but if it was a deliberate then it's a yellow for unsporting behaviour at a minimum.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Then why did we not have a second penalty last week
Eh? Let me spell it out for you. If the player who scores the goal has the ball touch his hand then it is offside whether it was deliberate or not. What has that got to do with penalties?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Courtesy of Bozza's tweet, just seen the pull on Dunk. 100% a penalty. WHAT ON EARTH were VAR doing today? Try as our ref defenders might, its just inexplicable. I can't get my head around how useless they are. I sort of forgive on field refs as some of these are easy to miss but there is something seriously fishy going on in the VAR booth.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Yes it is against the rules. If it was a fair assumption that they had a throw, and he took it to get on with the game, it's fair, but if it was a deliberate then it's a yellow for unsporting behaviour at a minimum.
Brighton won a corner, March had the ball at the flag and was ready to take it quick. Perisic was coming back on the field, saw Spurs weren't ready, and grabbed a ball and rolled it onto the pitch - not even towards the corner flag, literally just so there were two balls on the pitch as March took it. Corner called back and retaken, Spurs intercepted it 2nd time around and weren't far off scoring with the break.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brighton won a corner, March had the ball at the flag and was ready to take it quick. Perisic was coming back on the field, saw Spurs weren't ready, and grabbed a ball and rolled it onto the pitch - not even towards the corner flag, literally just so there were two balls on the pitch as March took it. Corner called back and retaken, Spurs intercepted it 2nd time around and weren't far off scoring with the break.
Easy yellow card

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here