Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
VAR has killed the emotional satisfaction that comes from watching your team score goals, which is arguably why we all watch football. It was introduced to provide technical clarity and certainty however, it doesn't do that. It has to go. It won't happen overnight because it's now such an integral part of the system but it has failed and to repeat myself, it must go.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Var in this country is a total joke and we are just sleepwalking into it being normal.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
But its not var its the fuckwits misusing it. I bet all those of us watching West Ham v Chelsea today thought handball penalty. Seemingly the only person who thought it wasn't a pen was the person that mattered. That's not var's fault. Yes if var didn't exist we wouldn't have this controversy. But it seems you have all the shit ex refs getting jobs for the boys, that's where the blame lies imho.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
No just incompetent

It’s completely ruined my enjoyment of football
So has the VAR official been sacked.
It’s maybe the most basic and incompetent error I think I’ve seen yet.
In any other walk of life, the guy gets demoted and is never allowed to do the job again
And even then it’s actually not fair that lower leagues have to put up with this guy reffing their games.
The head of the organisation would also be expected to stand down
We need to make it clear as fans who are spending our hard earned on this shit that someone is doing something to sort it out.
But it’s always
Oh, sorry, we got it wrong
And for me, that’s not good enough anymore.
Who has been sacked, we need to know

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
How many times are Brighton going to get screwed by VAR? It appears they don’t act when they should and when they do they get it wrong, it’s getting a bit silly now, too many errors. They’re either corrupt or incompetent.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You don’t even have to draw a f***ing line to see that’s onside, blatant cheating Palacr fan on VAR. I’ve also noticed a lot of our goals are being scrutinised by VAR we aren’t where we are meant to be in the table. The third goal against Arsenal should of stood IMO.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
i think it’s been improved since then. Wasn’t 50 fps initially.
It is and will remain 50 fps as that's what is broadcast. In reality the 50 fps is 25 as it is interlaced footage.

Only a certain amount of super slow cameras on PL obs. Usually one, at most two for non UK TX live games. Sky and BT have more, but less than you think.

Aware this is dull chat!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why don't you watch other football matches and see?
I do.

Since you won't answer, there are some competitions that use an element of AI to determine offside. AIs, as you say, are still programmed by humans and will get things wrong (Googles new one wiped zillions off their share price this week). The same system got Ecuador's goal against Qatar wrong.

Not all do though and there's still human intervention.

Probably not what backs up your claim though, hence you not wanting to type it yourself.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You don’t even have to draw a f***ing line to see that’s onside, blatant cheating Palacr fan on VAR. I’ve also noticed a lot of our goals are being scrutinised by VAR we aren’t where we are meant to be in the table. The third goal against Arsenal should of stood IMO.
Glad you mentioned the third goal. I was furious at the time but it largely went unnoticed. The line was literally drawn at the first not the second touch by Ferguson and by the time of the second touch Mitoma was onside. We were deprived a grandstand finish. We are always told VAR offsides are a matter of fact when this in fact, BOLLOCKS!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
In live play I wasn’t even worried about it being offside it was that obvious Pervis was onside. No Lino flag either.
I always worry when we score. It seems that VAR is working on the principle of " Is there any way we can disallow the goal?"
Only for us of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I always worry when we score. It seems that VAR is working on the principle of " Is there any way we can disallow the goal?"
Only for us of course.
Yep.

When it first came in many were saying that they were in favour because it would stop on field referees making "top six" decisions. These same top six decisions are now being made in an office in West London. The football establishment hate where we are and secretly can't believe Chelsea and Liverpool are below "teams like" Brighton on merit.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
But its not var its the fuckwits misusing it. I bet all those of us watching West Ham v Chelsea today thought handball penalty. Seemingly the only person who thought it wasn't a pen was the person that mattered. That's not var's fault. Yes if var didn't exist we wouldn't have this controversy. But it seems you have all the shit ex refs getting jobs for the boys, that's where the blame lies imho.
So let’s just get rid of VAR as it needs someone competent to use it. Let’s just go back to getting pissed off with one set of officials and not two

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That doesn't really make sense - all that would happen is that there'd be arguments about 300mm+/-2mm.
Makes sense to me. Fans wouldn’t be anywhere near as annoyed about a player being pulled up when they’re offside by a distance. A cm either way barely matters then. It would be more like a tight call with a flag. They need to increase the tolerance to get back to the purpose of the offside law. It’s ludicrous you can now be ‘onside-offside-onside-offside’ just by running with a different stride pattern to the defender or because a striker is naturally leaning towards goal as the defender leans away.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep.

When it first came in many were saying that they were in favour because it would stop on field referees making "top six" decisions. These same top six decisions are now being made in an office in West London. The football establishment hate where we are and secretly can't believe Chelsea and Liverpool are below "teams like" Brighton on merit.
It’s incompetence not conspiracy. I agree the self-appointed big 6 still get favourable decisions when we play them. I think that’s unconscious bias influenced by several factors. The idea that refs are somehow plotting to keep us out of Europe though is nonsense. If they were, they could easily have sent off Mac Allister yesterday and had him banned for 3 matches. Every club has the same complaints about VAR that we do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here