Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Goals change games.

If we’d scored then might have came out and attacked us more in the second half. Viera might have made a triple sub at half time.

The odds are they wouldn’t, but unless you have some kind of access to a parallel dimension where it counted then it’s impossible to say for sure.
100% this. And that's why there is no after the match fix here that would be entirely fair and just. We just don't know what would have happened if the goal had been given then. Maybe Palace would have fallen apart? Maybe they would have gotten their tails up and fought back. We just don't know (we all assume "fall apart" is more likely).

And if results were "adjusted" after the fact, then the game would never really "end". After the final whistle we'd have several days of committees reviewing every action of the game and deciding if the result on the field was "right" or needed to be changed. You know that agonizing 2-3 minutes (or more) of VAR review after a goal? Now imagine it was a week!

Mistakes happen. It sucks and we got totally shafted in the last game. But we move on.

UTA

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Never made a howler? Our goalkeeper's error corrupt, too? Of course it isn't the obvious reason.
That's not a good comparison. Sanchez made a goalkeeping error dropping the ball. It happens. Brooks and his assistant contrived to not see the other defender who was less than 1 metre from Romkins and very obviously nearer the goal. Can you put that down to an honest mistake? Stretching credibility in my eyes. Matchfixing has occurred in cricket, tennis, snooker and also in football. Starlizard even has an integrity services division that works with multiple partners, including La Liga, to try and identify corrupt football matches through the analysis of betting patterns and other data. Do you believe Brooks and the VAR assistant are so monumentally stupid that they missed the other defender or is it more likely to be deliberate? If big bets were being placed on the HT market, HT goals market or FT goals market (trading out at HT) Solly's goal and Sanchez's howler would have no impact.
Wouldn’t Brighton still be in league two if it wasn’t for Asian betting syndicates?
Bloom didn't make all his money off asian betting syndicates. He made it off asian "mug" punters.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Can you just explain how Palace would have scored twice. As they had absolutely no shots all game and the only goal they scored was a massive cock up by us!!
If that goal had stood we would have won very comfortably. They didn’t get near us all game!!
:unsure:

I was only pointing out that had the goal stood, the way the rest of the game played out would have been different. The goal we scored, and the goal they scored, would not have happened. Something different would have happened. What actually happened from that point onwards is irrelevant to my argument: the point is, if the goal had stood it's possible (though would agree unlikely given how they played!) that Palace would have galvanised and played better. They would have had a different half-time talk from the manager and could potentially have played a far better second half. We don't know is the point I was making: we can't stand here today and say that decision cost us three points because it would have been 2-1 to us, as the two goals that did make it into the books would not have happened. Hence I provided the other view as well: we could have run away with it 5-0 if the goal had stood.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
How on earth os he still in the job? Surely the worst of the worst and either monumentally useless or very corrupt.
I understand the anger, but who hasn't made a mistake at work? Firing seems harsh.

Instead he should be demoted to ref in the Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division until he can demonstrate his competence?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I understand the anger, but who hasn't made a mistake at work? Firing seems harsh.
Depends on what you mean by 'firing'...

Stephanie_smith_human_cannonball_-_melbourne_show_2005.jpg

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
:unsure:

I was only pointing out that had the goal stood, the way the rest of the game played out would have been different. The goal we scored, and the goal they scored, would not have happened. Something different would have happened. What actually happened from that point onwards is irrelevant to my argument: the point is, if the goal had stood it's possible (though would agree unlikely given how they played!) that Palace would have galvanised and played better. They would have had a different half-time talk from the manager and could potentially have played a far better second half. We don't know is the point I was making: we can't stand here today and say that decision cost us three points because it would have been 2-1 to us, as the two goals that did make it into the books would not have happened. Hence I provided the other view as well: we could have run away with it 5-0 if the goal had stood.
This kind of faultless logic has no place here :lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

TBH it's not the error, I can accept the error, we all make mistakes. It's this blind, dogmatic mantra that VAR has 'improved decision making' that I can't stand. It quite patently hasn't; all that's happened is we now have another added layer of decision-making where we can introduce more human error (in ours and Arsenal's case) and probably worse, more subjective interpretation (In Chelsea's penalty case).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TBH it's not the error, I can accept the error, we all make mistakes. It's this blind, dogmatic mantra that VAR has 'improved decision making' that I can't stand. It quite patently hasn't; all that's happened is we now have another added layer of decision-making where we can introduce more human error (in ours and Arsenal's case) and probably worse, more subjective interpretation (In Chelsea's penalty case).
VAR has led to more correct decisions for sure, but post-VAR errors are infinitely worse as rather than a ref/lino having to make a rapid judgement in real time, this is a gormless incompetent making an incorrect decision despite having the benefit of unlimited slow-mos from multiple angles, technology to ‘help’ and a team of people to discuss it with. It beggars belief they can be so useless (the Arsenal and Chelsea decisions were equally appalling)

If Pervis has been given offside by the lino and the goal disallowed instantly we would all be a bit pissed off when MOTD confirm it was marginally onside, but would accept it as part of the game (and we wouldn’t have gone mental celebrating). When Mr Magoo and his cronies STILL get it wrong despite everything it’s far more egregious. Ironically the on-field decision was correct 🤬

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Instead he should be demoted to ref in the Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division until he can demonstrate his competence?
Mason consistently makes incorrect decisions and even lies about them ( said he didn't blow the whistle at West Brom). Brooks is, possibly, redeemable but Mason is just too bad or corrupt and should go permanently.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I suggest we scrap VAR and go back to how it used to be and that TV channels and pundits are not allowed to endless rerun and comment on refereeing and offside mistakes which is what lead to VAR being introduced in the first place.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I suggest we scrap VAR and go back to how it used to be and that TV channels and pundits are not allowed to endless rerun and comment on refereeing and offside mistakes which is what lead to VAR being introduced in the first place.
With or without VAR refs still need to held to account though and the only way that will happen is through TV replays and pundits discussing etc otherwise things will just be brushed under the carpet.

VAR was meant to reduce errors, and overall it has done, the problem is that the errors it makes are magnified by the fact that they get multiple angles etc to look at the incidents from and with factual decisions like offside mistakes shouldn't happen.

VAR at the moment isn't fit for purpose but it's more the human failings that are the issues than the technology they use, although obviously there are issues with camera positions at some ground for offside that do need addressing.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
With or without VAR refs still need to held to account though and the only way that will happen is through TV replays and pundits discussing etc otherwise things will just be brushed under the carpet.

VAR was meant to reduce errors, and overall it has done, the problem is that the errors it makes are magnified by the fact that they get multiple angles etc to look at the incidents from and with factual decisions like offside mistakes shouldn't happen.

VAR at the moment isn't fit for purpose but it's more the human failings that are the issues than the technology they use, although obviously there are issues with camera positions at some ground for offside that do need addressing.
I really can’t understand why all goals are examined by VAR automatically. Why? It is only needed if a goal is disallowed for offside. If the goal is not called off-side, like Pervis’s, why does it have to be examined? What is the point? Football is already the lowest scoring sport in the world and they are trying to take away even more. Bonkers!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Even if the Tomkins was the last man and the line was correct, from that angle how can you even be sure it's 100% offside?

Some of these VAR calls are so marginal, I don't think it's possible to be 100% sure.
I understand what you're saying but 1. Tompkins was clearly not the last man and 2. drawing the line from Tomkins he's well offside but 3. Guelhi was at least a metre nearer the goal than Tomkins from any angle you choose. I really don't think incompetence is a logical explanation.
There is something rotten in the state of PGMOL.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Many mistakes that could cost your clients millions of pounds would result in firing. VAR making a mistake isn't like a referee or a lino making a mistake. They can check it out in slow motion, from multiple camera angles, and there is a team of staff to check the analysis. If they still get it wrong - that's not a mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here