Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR April 2023 Poll - Fit for Purpose?

Is VAR fit for purpose?

• Yes

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • No

Votes: 272 96.1%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The biggest issue for me with VAR is how it is actually used as opposed to how it should be used.

It seems to me that VAR is being used to actively find a reason to disallow a goal, almost to the point of wanting to disallow it, rather than just checking if it should stand. There’s a big difference.

I’d also like to see a time limit introduced. If a decision cannot be made in say, under 1 minute, then it can’t be a “clear and obvious” error, which is what it is supposed to highlight.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The biggest issue for me with VAR is how it is actually used as opposed to how it should be used.

It seems to me that VAR is being used to actively find a reason to disallow a goal, almost to the point of wanting to disallow it, rather than just checking if it should stand. There’s a big difference.

I’d also like to see a time limit introduced. If a decision cannot be made in say, under 1 minute, then it can’t be a “clear and obvious” error, which is what it is supposed to highlight.
100% agree. How many disallowed goals are given via a VAR review? I'd wager considerably less that disallowed because of VAR.

There's actually another issue, which is that the problem is less the system, more the humans using it. So many problems come from incompetence rather than a shady conspiracy

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Interesting article. Not sure I entirely agree. Seems to want to blame VAR for things that were happening before VAR came in. In fact, supporters of VAR claimed it would reduce the haranguing of officials because 'players would know they've double checked it and seen the replays to be sure of the decision'.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think a more interesting set of options would be:

1. VAR - keep as is (or carry on with minor tweaks)?
  2. VAR - keep but with major changes (ie - 'it's sh*t now but can be made to be good if used well')?
  3. VAR - just get rid?

I'd go with the third option, because, in my opinion, it was never fit for purpose. It's a fundamentally flawed concept as it assumes that the main aim of footballing competitions is to establish the best footballing team to the nth degree of accuracy.

When in reality it's primary purpose is simply to entertain.
And VAR makes it less entertaining.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Interesting diagram in the Sun (boooooo!)

If there was no VAR at all, what would league look like......

We'd be 5th and Brentford rather than Aston shithousery (11 points) would be in conference.

RB-PREM-WITHOUT-VAR-2022-23-1-1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here