Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Van Hecke probably had to take a massive shit

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Lots of harsh words thrown at this young man today and I find it harsh.

The way he walked off the pitch and then when the camera followed him into the stadium, I think we can safely say he was stuck between a desire to get rid of a massive turd forcing its way into existence and the desire to avoid that from happening in front of tens to thousands of viewers

Any man or woman familiar with the feeling of walking while physically squeezing the buth cheeks together to prevent the unavoidable, should also be willing to understand and forgive any thoughtless action during that process.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
1690148324321.png

You might be right, maybe he didn't want to do a Lineker!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

The way he walked off the pitch and then when the camera followed him into the stadium, I think we can safely say he was stuck between a desire to get rid of a massive turd forcing its way into existence and the desire to avoid that from happening in front of tens to thousands of viewers

Any man or woman familiar with the feeling of walking while physically squeezing the buth cheeks together to prevent the unavoidable, should also be willing to understand and forgive any thoughtless action during that process.
Not too sure that is a constructive post.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
He did similar in his early days at Blackburn, trying too hard to really cement his place in the heart of the team. Didn't he go on to be POTS, or Young POTS or something?
I'll take his red card yesterday as a good omen.................
Wasn't that challenge while at Blackburn pretty much at head height?
In all honesty though, although I saw his name on the HUGE scoreboard graphic as getting the first yellow card, I couldn't for the life of me work out why as it seemed to pop up after the tussle down the left wing (from our perspective) which I was certain wasn't him. But that was probably because of the very poor US coverage rather than something he did or didn't do to warrant the first card.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

That second yellow would’ve brought any turtles head to the fore surely

abc

Jan 6, 2007
He did similar in his early days at Blackburn, trying too hard to really cement his place in the heart of the team. Didn't he go on to be POTS, or Young POTS or something?
I'll take his red card yesterday as a good omen.................
That’s how Dunk started out and he did ok in the end!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Going to go 'Dwayne' here, but am I the only one on here who doesn't rate Van Hecke.......

Just see him as a weak link and not a Premier League defender

I know I'm going to get the 'he's young' line thrown at me, but never been convinced when I've seen him live/on TV.

Hope to be proved wrong obviously, but just can't see it at the moment

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Van Hecke was playing well until he got the yellow and red. At that point it was 1-1 and we were more than matching Chelsea.
But down to 10, without Van Hecke's interceptions, we imploded, quickly going 4-1 down.

It kind of confirms how good he is. Yes, he's a bit ungainly, and yes, he needs to stay on the pitch, but I believe we've got a gem.
He might be a future captain.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Van Hecke was playing well until he got the yellow and red. At that point it was 1-1 and we were more than matching Chelsea.
But down to 10, without Van Hecke's interceptions, we imploded, quickly going 4-1 down.

It kind of confirms how good he is. Yes, he's a bit ungainly, and yes, he needs to stay on the pitch, but I believe we've got a gem.
He might be a future captain.
Yep agreed I'm gonna go anti Dwayne here and agree with this. Was excellent first half Vs Chelsea.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
If you look at replay of the bad challenge, the back of his upper leg takes one heck of a hit from Chelsea player. Undoubtedly that was the cause of the bum shuffle walk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Yes it was slightly mistimed but it wasn’t horrendous and he will learn from that . He has high potential and if he can work on cutting out the odd silly mistake he will be a very good player .

I still think he is already as good as Dunk was at his age .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sometimes I think he's a bit shit, but then I think back to where Dunk was at his age and I remember to cut JP some slack.

He can after all do this.

I thought exactly the same as he went off. Remember when Dunk got sent off at QPR (?) and he was considerably more experienced. Plenty of here suggested “liability, get rid” not long afterwards when Fulham (?) put in a bid there was a queue for “I’ll drive him there myself” We are fickle fuckers, long may it continue :smile:

I am willing to give Van Hecke a bit of time personally, especially as he looks so bloody good when he spins and does his magic with the ball to come away from a forward who could have been through on goal. Done that twice now, once against Haaland and again against Chelsea on Saturday night :thumbsup: There is some Dutch flair there!

Until the sending off I was well impressed with him.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
As an external observer I think he's got plenty of potential and he's already good, he's determined and he's very comfortable with the ball (Dutchness shining through) but obviously he lacks some experience concerning the purely defensive side of things.

That's something that as a defender you inevitably have to pick up with time though, a lot of defensive work is mental work; I remember when Chiellini was a rash hot-headed young dumbass who charged at everyone and left plenty of space not covered in behind.

And remember that it's not easy to defend in a RDZ system, because the system isn't exactly built for that (ball recovery is done primarily by pressing) and so you have fewer certainties and schemes in those positions, having to rely more on your own judgement.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There is plenty of promise around him. We have released several young promising CB's in recent years yet VH has seen off all the competition. Very few CB's get many minutes before the age of 23 and his rash challenge was him trying to cover the LB. Ultimately in a preseason friendly he should've let the player go because going a man down was harder to recover than going a player down

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here