[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Old news. Ornstein reported in early December that Barco‘s reps visited Man City but subsequently updated

Citeh were chasing Barco up until early December then decided against it

The arrogance in that second article is mind boggling, even if they could probably follow it through and sign him if he proved himself with us.

All that is wrong with Sport washing. Once they get their arses into gear Newcastle might be able to challenge them when it comes to signing anyone they want though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not. You can't miss what you never had. And – to counter all the HereWeGo-ites – the deal clearly hasn't been done!
Humans have the capability to understand what could be as well as what is. Why shouldn't people enjoy the feeling something good is about to happen even if there is a chance it won't? If it doesn't happen people will certainly miss the enjoyment of the signing and seeing him put on our shirt and play for us. Nothing is certain in life, so by your rule, no one would ever look forward to anything.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Argentina winning the world cup was massive. And the whole country watched Mac come home to brighton to a heroes welcome. Who never did anything other than speak well of us and then got a massive move. They see it happening to buonanotte.

Coming to us instead of city or Liverpool now should be an absolute no brainer for this generation of argie kids
I've heard that a glowing review from Ali Mac very much helped Valentin to make his mind. Interesting that Mac Allister Senior is doing the rounds in South America talking about the deal positively.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tim V on TS now talking about it. Nothing new to report (basically repeating what he said in the earlier interview posted a few pages ago). 'Buying on promise, but the promise is real' :giggle:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've heard that a glowing review from Ali Mac very much helped Valentin to make his mind. Interesting that Mac Allister Senior is doing the rounds in South America talking about the deal positively.
Mac Allister Senior is very much a friend of the club. He must have been so impressed the way we looked after his son during COVID, pre and certainly post World Cup, but mainly making sure the next move was conducted correctly.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
My only slight concern is that Barco's people may be insisting on a release clause. Mac had one, and has possibly recommended the same for Barco. Remember, this was reportedly the reason for the Kudus breakdown. Caicedo was criticised for signing a new contract without one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My only slight concern is that Barco's people may be insisting on a release clause. Mac had one, and has possibly recommended the same for Barco. Remember, this was reportedly the reason for the Kudus breakdown. Caicedo was criticised for signing a new contract without one.
Barco seems to have been chasing this move as much as we have. Seeing as we are at the medical stage I would think this issue (if it is indeed one) has been resolved in the talks that have already taken place.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Maybe, but now I think players, or rather agents use the tactics of leaking that the deal is done, get the fan base excited, then put in a last minute demand to see if they can get away with it. Not to say that will happen here, but I think it has cost us in the past

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Barco seems to have been chasing this move as much as we have. Seeing as we are at the medical stage I would think this issue (if it is indeed one) has been resolved in the talks that have already taken place.
Brian Owen seemed to pour some cold water on the fact the deal was at the medical stage earlier and he's in direct contact with barber.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Did MacAllister have one when he first came? I'm not sure he did.

He did undoubtedly when we got him.to sign new contract before WC.

And I doubt a release clause was the main issue with Kudus, but the vast gulf in £ notes on offer from WHU.

Bloom is taking a risk, the lad will be playing under an exceptional coach in world's best league at a good level, a club that will truly develop his talents. If he already wants a clause before he even pulls on our shirt, so he can waltz off and leave club in lurch next January, then just leave him at Boca.

Do you want a 4.5 year deal or don't you?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Brian Owen seemed to pour some cold water on the fact the deal was at the medical stage earlier and he's in direct contact with barber.
Well 4 hours ago he said "The Argus has been told the deal is complex but that Albion "getting there" slowly and are "making progress towards completing a deal".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Humans have the capability to understand what could be as well as what is. Why shouldn't people enjoy the feeling something good is about to happen even if there is a chance it won't? If it doesn't happen people will certainly miss the enjoyment of the signing and seeing him put on our shirt and play for us. Nothing is certain in life, so by your rule, no one would ever look forward to anything.
Absolutely – and most people are of that disposition (as Sheebo assumed), which is perfectly fine with me. All I'm saying is that – for whatever reason – I'm not. I go into most Albion games thinking they'll lose. Then, if they don't it's a bonus and if they DO lose, I don't feel any worse than I did!

And I guess (without getting TOO deep), in my world, your last sentence has an element of truth. For numerous reasons, many based on events in the Bobkin family, we've learned to 'expect the unexpected', rather than really look forward to something. A lot of the time plans don't work out at all, or are not what we expected. Hence we approach with caution, rather than excitement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports