Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valencia to visit Amex for pre-season friendly *** 7pm KICK OFF ***

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly, some are only looking for the negatives though.

Better that than and 3 months time having to write:-

'Wow I was loud wrong and feel somewhat foolish now' to a bunch of faceless strangers you'll never meet.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better that than and 3 months time having to write:-

'Wow I was loud wrong a feel somewhat foolish now' to a bunch of faceless strangers you'll never meet.

There is a chance that WE will be posting that ( in better English though :wink:)

D

Deleted member 2719

Sadly, some are only looking for the negatives though.

I didn't see any apart from Dunky letting Rodrigo in for the goal, he has been caught on the back foot a few times in the past. However, his overall game always gets him out of jail.

Loved to see Burn strong and commited and hope to see him regularly as he is well suited with Solly dropping in deep and helping out.

Thought Solly and Montoya made themselves available and we used them both well all night long.

Can't wait.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? Wow!
I gambled on the name [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot the opposition and it looks like you have forgotten the game as well :lolol:

Wasn’t Bernardo the only new signing who got any game time too?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Going toe to toe with a Champion’s League team is not something we did at all last season, except against Man United early doors. It was clear that something had gone very wrong by the end of last season. Newcastle first half ffs. A few months off would not have fixed it imo, so excuse me for being enthusiastic again :smile:

You guys carry on with your doubting :wink:

Bit of perspective needed I think.

We are further along in our pre-season, they barely had the same 11 on for more than 10mins at a time.

We treated this as a proper game, as you would expect for our last friendly. Valencia still have 2 more friendlies against better opposition than us.

It's typical that whenever we lose a friendly, people on here pile in to point out it's just a run-out. Yet when we win, and in this case against high-profile oppostion, many are unduly positive about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a chance that WE will be posting that ( in better English though :wink:)

Of course.

But the one thing I can guarantee is that I will write it.

I get the distinct impression others think their fingers will burn off if they so much as hint at 'showing weakness' on a poxy t'internet forum.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bit of perspective needed I think.

We are further along in our pre-season, they barely had the same 11 on for more than 10mins at a time.

We treated this as a proper game, as you would expect for our last friendly. Valencia still have 2 more friendlies against better opposition than us.

It's typical that whenever we lose a friendly, people on here pile in to point out it's just a run-out. Yet when we win, and in this case against high-profile oppostion, many are unduly positive about it.

Exactly this.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Watching the highlights reel; we had about 6 shots in the box including the penalty and Duffy header. The other 4 shots either missed the goal significantly or went straight to the keeper.

That was the area of our play that was reminiscent of the end of last season and must change if we are to survive although some of the quick one touch passing and inter-play was brilliant.

Like it or not, the Watford game will be a lot tougher than the Valencia friendly. We’ll then see how much progress we’ve made with largely, the same team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watching the highlights reel; we had about 6 shots in the box including the penalty and Duffy header. The other 4 shots either missed the goal significantly or went straight to the keeper.

That was the area of our play that was reminiscent of the end of last season and must change if we are to survive although some of the quick one touch passing and inter-play was brilliant.

Like it or not, the Watford game will be a lot tougher than the Valencia friendly. We’ll then see how much progress we’ve made with largely, the same team.
Hmmmm

I'll have taken 6 shots in every game for the rest of 2019 compared to the start of the year.

Tough to argue with anything else.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Have a look and see how far off the line their goalie was when the penalty was taken. Wonder if it would have been retaken if he had saved it.

Think they have to have one foot ON the line this season, wonder how rigidly that will be enforced, or indeed whether VAR will be used with penalty saves.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You forgot the opposition and it looks like you have forgotten the game as well :lolol:

Wasn’t Bernardo the only new signing who got any game time too?

I knew it began with N.....
Nice, Nantes, Nancy....... won’t be buying a lottery ticket. [emoji23]

Re Bernardo, yes, but AJ had just joined, Andone a injured, Bissouma got on....

Perhaps it was me, but last night wasn’t that great - all opinions...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not a strange comment at all. We need to find another way of scoring other than set-pieces, we clearly can’t rely on corners, free kicks and penalties, if we could, a lot more games would have been like Palace at home last season.

To me, it looked like there was the intention to drive forward with the ball every time we were in possession. Throws and free-kicks were taken quickly, and Ryan was trying to get the wing-backs away on the counter-attack if at all possible. A huge change in attitude. Not quite sure, realistically, how much more attacking anyone could expect us to try to be in the Premier League but it seems the anti-Poyet, anti-possession football brigade won't take long to pipe up again.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I didn't see any apart from Dunky letting Rodrigo in for the goal, he has been caught on the back foot a few times in the past. However, his overall game always gets him out of jail.

Harsh to pin too much blame on Dunk. That cross - from one of the stars of the last World Cup - was an absolute peach and stacked all the cards in the striker's favour.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Harsh to pin too much blame on Dunk. That cross - from one of the stars of the last World Cup - was an absolute peach and stacked all the cards in the striker's favour.

This. 10 yards of space to produce a world class ball in. Reminded me of the goal we conceded home to Newcastle (the space we gave them, not the cross obviously).

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree I wasn't blaming him I was trying to look for just one negative. but top defenders need to deal with that sort of cross also, as we know he deals with most things but he can get caught by a yard here and there.

Love Dunky to bits just want the lad to make England a regular outing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Valencia should provide a better test than Birmingham, but won't be as fit as us and aren't expected to do much in La Liga this season so will be interesting to see how we perform. Result not important but I'd expect a comfortable 2-goal win. Playing Spanish sides in previous friendlies has been entertaining.

Manure finished closer to us than they did Man City. Anyone can spout a load of b*****ks and selective facts to enhance a point.
Valencia are a good side, but I guess that doesn't fit your agenda.
COME ON ALBION!

So, thoughts?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here