Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valencia to visit Amex for pre-season friendly *** 7pm KICK OFF ***

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
March looked good at left wing back, Burn looked extremely comfortable defence . We didn’t seem to be that imaginative going forward and both goals were from set pieces. Won’t read too much into it as it was a friendly but have to see how we do next week.

Ps was it just me expecting Bruno to play a cameo role?

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
But I didn't like the darker blue on the shirts. Why can't we stick with one damn shade of blue?

I loved the shirts, thought they looked smart.

Dan Burn excellent, he’s going by to slot in nicely with Duffy and Dunk

Trossard is going to be an upgrade on Knocky

I like they 3 at the back and the way they break out

Nice to see the front 3 switching places

Really looking forward to next Saturday and our first proper run out

Amazing to think these are the same players we had last season

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just like under Hughton very good in defence but poor as attacking force in midfield and upfront. Montoya played well in defence but when many times he received ball in attacking position wished it was March or Knockaert receiving it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Burn has fitted in well

Good to see some reverse forward facing passes from our back 3 rather than back to Ryan.

We need to work on our new goal kick strategy, seemed awkward.

Clear to me we need a striker with pace but can turn and drop, few instances this evening where a standard run would have opened them up.

Wondering whether trying Bernardo as LWB and March as RWB would have seen better success down the right.

Positive performance however there’s still work to do and I hope we haven’t left it too late to incorporate from the off, next Saturday will be interesting for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not much difference IMO.
Propper and Trossard starred.
Burn did well.
Great finish by Duffy.
Created next to nothing.

All a bit worrying.....

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Flying in the face of popular opinion, probably - but could someone tell Montoya that we've changed manager? He looked scared of going forward, always chose the back pass, and I could count on one finger the amount of times he chose to run at someone..

Aside from that, I think Trossard did well - but I get the feeling he's going to get battered by the big boys in the PL and will spend lots of time on his arse. Locadia isn't transformed - but he at least looked like he cares a bit now. March played well, I thought Andone looked sharper on the warm-up in the corner than he did on the pitch - and on the whole I much preferred the team play in the latter stages of the second half.

I think Burn will only get better with game time. He looks decent.

I feel we played better than we finished last season - so I'm in 'Camp Positive' :thumbsup:

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Can’t remember us having many shots; without the set-pieces, we’d have lost, no question.

What a strange comment. That’s like a basketball fan saying without free throws, we’d have lost. Or a rugby fan saying without conversions/kicks we’d have lost. Set pieces are a massive part of the game, the difference between winning and losing sometimes at the highest level.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. We're playing like a unit with no-one to pick out as good, bad or sublimely ridiculous. All played their roles and played them well. Composure on the ball, nice little pass and moves and my biggest one, pressing them at 25 yards from their goal line.

I thought I saw a slight difference against better opposition. Against Birmingham we seemed to play a 4-4-2 defending and a 3-4-3 going forward. This evening it looked like a 5-4-1 defending but the same 3-4-3 liquidity in attack.

I like that we are back in blue shorts again, as it should be, and like the home kit slightly better than last season, although I yearn for the three stripes again.

All in all, very pleasurable, and I would have said that win, lose or draw.

MoM, tricky, so Burnsy first half, Duffers second.

Good summary, very enjoyable watch. I’d add Propper had a massively better game than he did against Birmingham. Stephens had an excellent game, was pretty impressed with Burn and also thought Kayal looked sharp when he came one.

Actually looking forward to next Saturday now.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Loving the fact that our centre backs are intercepting long balls at and beyond the half-way line, often driving forward with the ball afterwards.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not much difference IMO.
Propper and Trossard starred.
Burn did well.
Great finish by Duffy.
Created next to nothing.

All a bit worrying.....

TBF they created nothing as well. Thought we matched them and when it came to the crunch we took our chances better. Lots to be positive about.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a strange comment. That’s like a basketball fan saying without free throws, we’d have lost. Or a rugby fan saying without conversions/kicks we’d have lost. Set pieces are a massive part of the game, the difference between winning and losing sometimes at the highest level.

Not a strange comment at all. We need to find another way of scoring other than set-pieces, we clearly can’t rely on corners, free kicks and penalties, if we could, a lot more games would have been like Palace at home last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here