[Albion] Usual story……

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Without knowing, or even having the slightest intention of fact checking, because lifes too short, that must be bollocks or everyone else would have shit strikers. . . . . Spend and win, its the PL way. Burnley have 2 strikers better than ours . . . They both played for us at a lower level, we're ****ing shit up front.

THe clubs management of procuring/maintaining a genuine PL goal scoring threat has been an embarrassment since we got promoted.

Very harsh on Matej Vydra, IMHO.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
In the clubs defence, considering we've really struggled in 5 seasons now to bring in a new and reasonably effective striker (Murray was already with us), I genuinely think we are doing pretty well. How many other teams, bar Man City, could literally play no recognised strikers in 3 consecutive games and get a couple of results.

Yes, a new forward would surely help, but given what we've got I think we are doing really well. Half glass full for me.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Explain what?

Well if we cannot buy a striker due to alleged FFP, how come Villa can spend about 350 million and face no sanction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well if we cannot buy a striker due to alleged FFP, how come Villa can spend about 350 million and face no sanction

£444m spend by them all told on their squad.

EPL financial sustainability rules aren’t holding us back. TB’s simply unwilling, so far, to pay out of his own pocket the money sought by the likes of Benfica.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Funny old game, 3 weeks ago we didn't need a striker now here we are back to square one needing a striker, a decent compromise would be get a decent striker just in case we need one, over to the board to discuss as I doubt they've thought of this before. :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Put it that way it's a 92% success rate ...............

Apart from the important maybe 62% that might just keep you in the EPL. Y'now, the bit that puts the ball in the back of the net. EPL don't care one little bit if you have a really nice training ground or not :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from the important maybe 62% that might just keep you in the EPL. Y'now, the bit that puts the ball in the back of the net. EPL don't care one little bit if you have a really nice training ground or not :shrug:

Your maths is wayward! 11 out of 12 is approx. 92% - that only leaves 8%, not 62%. The term 'fine margins' comes to mind.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Well, the majority seem to think I am well wide of the mark, and we are nowhere near hitting the limits, but to me it seemed last window that the club were trying hard to get players out on loan or sold if they were going to be fringe at best, and comments in the press from Potter and from journalists gave me the impression that the club knew what was required to bring Nunez in, and were prepared to pay it in principle, but were not able to do it within the budget that they were working to. I made the estimation that the budget could not be increased, rather than just would not be increased, based on the losses of the club and PL sustainability rules, but it was always a guess, and I am less convinced myself since learning the wage increase rule has gone, and that Covid losses are excepted.

I have just had a look on the web and it seems Aston Villa have probably broken UEFA fair play rules, but that just means they can't compete in UEFA competitions. In the last few years, they had an injection of cash via shares sold to the owners for £100M or more, sold their ground to themselves somehow for £57M and sold Jack Grealish for £100M.
They have been up against the rules, but have found ways to bend them, have multi Billionaire owners, and sold one player for a massive amount.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Put that way, the single unticked box would appear to be either gross negligence or deliberate policy ???

Or "hyperinflation financial bubbles"

You always forget the hyperinflation financial bubbles.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
£444m spend by them all told on their squad.

EPL financial sustainability rules aren’t holding us back. TB’s simply unwilling, so far, to pay out of his own pocket the money sought by the likes of Benfica.

Which is definitely his decision

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He touched the ball twice according to statistics. Both of them passing it to a team mate.

No memory of it.

Hmm. Actually it might have been two kickoffs...

Unfortunately GP ****ed the balance in the team with that sub leaving those up front little to work with.

100% pass rate!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, the majority seem to think I am well wide of the mark, and we are nowhere near hitting the limits, but to me it seemed last window that the club were trying hard to get players out on loan or sold if they were going to be fringe at best, and comments in the press from Potter and from journalists gave me the impression that the club knew what was required to bring Nunez in, and were prepared to pay it in principle, but were not able to do it within the budget that they were working to. I made the estimation that the budget could not be increased, rather than just would not be increased, based on the losses of the club and PL sustainability rules, but it was always a guess, and I am less convinced myself since learning the wage increase rule has gone, and that Covid losses are excepted.

I have just had a look on the web and it seems Aston Villa have probably broken UEFA fair play rules, but that just means they can't compete in UEFA competitions. In the last few years, they had an injection of cash via shares sold to the owners for £100M or more, sold their ground to themselves somehow for £57M and sold Jack Grealish for £100M.
They have been up against the rules, but have found ways to bend them, have multi Billionaire owners, and sold one player for a massive amount.

We sold one player for 50m and spent nowhere near what Villa spent so my guess is we are NOT facing an FFP challenge. My guess is we are instead attempting a false economy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports