Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Usual story……

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
HTML:
Did we actually make any chances for a striker to put away?

Two or three actually.

Couple of great balls in low from wide positions were begging to be put away, if we actually had a player in there. I actually quite like Trossard, but he should not be our main strike threat.

Fully expect to see Maupay gone in Jan as he seems out of favour, no loss in my view. BUT…….will we get, or do we already have In the U23s, a forward capable of really leading the line and making the opposition fear us?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
- Cucurellas drive into the box, crying out for a striker
- Another one where Trossard hit it straight at the keeper
- Lamptey 1 on 1 with a keeper

If those chances fell to a goal scoring striker at least 2 of them would have been the back of the net.

Yep. See Watkins at t’other end. Buried a much more difficult chance.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This.

Also how many new threads do we needs about today's result?

I genuinely believe that some posters are unaware that there is a transfer window and it isn't open.

Or that (for a few more days) we are in our highest ever league position.

One thing we can all agree on is that shipping two late goals was painful.

So sorry for seeming sanctimonious HWT. I actually started my thread before the final whistle.

In response to your points above:

Yes, I understand the transfer window, it is soon to be upon us again.

Good league position, currently not being capitalised on, or will you be eternally happy to crow ‘we were top six at one point in 2021’? Is that the height of your ambition?

Lastly, get off my thread, you are ignoring me apparently!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He isn't willing to splash the cash on a striker, or indeed the playing squad at all. We all love Tony Bloom and I don't think any of us criticise him for this, but it is the truth.

We have the money. We could have spent £50m or more on a striker if we wanted... but TB would prefer us to be sustainable and profitable and not pay over the odds which is understandable, and I largely agree but...

...playing this season without a striker is one hell of a missed opportunity.

Are you sure we have the money, and the headroom within the PL sustainability rules to spend it?
I am pretty sure that within the normal PL sustainability rules we don't have a lot of room, but I understand that the rules have been relaxed for this season, because of covid causing unusual losses, but don't know how relaxed the rules are.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Are you sure we have the money, and the headroom within the PL sustainability rules to spend it?
I am pretty sure that within the normal PL sustainability rules we don't have a lot of room, but I understand that the rules have been relaxed for this season, because of covid causing unusual losses, but don't know how relaxed the rules are.

50M for Ben White amongst a few others must help surely?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
HTML:

Two or three actually.

Couple of great balls in low from wide positions were begging to be put away, if we actually had a player in there. I actually quite like Trossard, but he should not be our main strike threat.

Fully expect to see Maupay gone in Jan as he seems out of favour, no loss in my view. BUT…….will we get, or do we already have In the U23s, a forward capable of really leading the line and making the opposition fear us?

I hope Maupay is not going he is the only fit striker we have who has proved he can score at this level. Also started every one of our wins this season but has become a victim of this false nine experiment of late

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
And there was me thinking we were gonna draw our way to a top 10 finish this season. . Couldn’t even hold on to that today. :down:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes, we sold White for £50m and our wages are amongst the lowest in The Premier League.

and therein lies the problem. I think all Prem players are vastly overpaid but we are not competing on a level playing field. We cannot attract proven decent strikers therefore we rely on a gamble from lower leagues or abroad. How long can we continue doing this ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, we sold White for £50m and our wages are amongst the lowest in The Premier League.

Also a £67m loss.

The club is quite open with that it can not compete economically with most Premier League sides.

It is rough but thats the way it is.

and therein lies the problem. I think all Prem players are vastly overpaid but we are not competing on a level playing field. We cannot attract proven decent strikers therefore we rely on a gamble from lower leagues or abroad. How long can we continue doing this ?

I'd say more or less permanently.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
No excuses, we need a new striker.

Welbeck not playing and Maupay not at the races........ That's the problem.

Be nice if the midfielders and defenders chipped in a few as well, but it ain't heppening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
- Cucurellas drive into the box, crying out for a striker
- Another one where Trossard hit it straight at the keeper
- Lamptey 1 on 1 with a keeper

If those chances fell to a goal scoring striker at least 2 of them would have been the back of the net.

Not sure many strikers would have found the net from Trossards position when he shot, Lamptey needed to be as fast as, well, Lamptey, to get to the ball to have that chance.
There were few chances, I am not saying I am not hoping the club go and sign Darwin Nunez in the next window, but we didn't create enough chances today to say it is clearly just a lack of a striker that cost us the game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You all may be right and the addition of the mythical "proven" goalscorer is all that's missing.

But for me, the issue is always our build up play.
When we are ponderous, we are shit.
When we are moving the ball quickly, we are a completely different prospect.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always regard a false 9 as being an indication either your recognised strikers aren’t good enough or that you haven’t been able to get one good enough (or both). Yes sometimes it’ll work, but because something worked against Liverpool it doesn’t mean it will against Newcastle or Leeds. For the tactical genius he is often hailed as, Potter does get very guilty of finding something and sticking with it even when it isn’t working.

Liverpool is a one off, I said that at the time. They throw almost everyone forward including two incredible full backs, relying on VVD and his CB partner to cover all risks, rock n roll football.

No other EPL team does that WHEN WINNING.

Everyone else from Chelsea to Newcastle are savvy, the way I’d manage it, always numbers back. DM’ers protecting the defence. Potter’s toothless teams struggle to score so often against organised, packed defences.

Newcastle, Arsenal, Villa ….. same old, same old.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Also a £67m loss.

The club is quite open with that it can not compete economically with most Premier League sides.

Then we just wait for the inevitable relegation with circa £200m a season down the drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not sure many strikers would have found the net from Trossards position when he shot, Lamptey needed to be as fast as, well, Lamptey, to get to the ball to have that chance.
There were few chances, I am not saying I am not hoping the club go and sign Darwin Nunez in the next window, but we didn't create enough chances today to say it is clearly just a lack of a striker that cost us the game.
Mmm a striker with pace gives you different options we get stuck in attack 90% of the time around the edge of the box and start going sideways because the option to ping the early ball to a runner isn’t there. Maupay’s lack of game time is worrying occasionally he gives you that option ie Palace.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Support ✔
Stadium ✔
Training centre ✔
Recruitment ✔
Owner ✔
Board ✔
Backroom staff ✔
Manager ✔
GK ✔
Defence ✔
Midfield ✔
Forwards.....................

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You all may be right and the addition of the mythical "proven" goalscorer is all that's missing.

But for me, the issue is always our build up play.
When we are ponderous, we are shit.
When we are moving the ball quickly, we are a completely different prospect.

This is true AS WELL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Also a £67m loss.

I think you're right. Frustrating but if we should slip back into the Championship I think we will have about 8k empty seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here