Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Use TV billions to cut ticket prices'

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It needs to be a joined up approach to catch up with Holland France Germany Spain Italy etc etc council don't have the money to do it on there own but look what the albion have produced new training ground working with the local council . We could put 3G on school playing fields as long as they don't price clubs out of hiring them? The school would have good facilities and the community could use them at the weekends and school holidays and they could be hired out in the evenings giving schools an income. So maybe the premership money could be part grants and part loans.win win

But your just asking for money from the PL to subsidise central or local government funding for new facilties, where is the win for the PL teams.

I am happy to fleece PL money as much as the next person but unless it represents some goodwill or other then why would they give away their money.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So that's why the Government have been selling off school playing fields for housing development left, right and centre.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Fields-disposed-two-weeks-London-Games.html

The public sector is broke. It can't even fund a decent Police service. If you think sports facilities are going to be high on the priority of any politician you'd better think again. Your arguement is a mandate to raise Council tax, which Govt won't allow, and Council taxpayers won't stomach at the ballot box.

You cannot just turn to successful private business and have a windfall tax to pay for new 3G facilities, well you can but I doubt whether it will happen and if as you say we dont even have a decent Police service ( I dont agree ) then use that windfall tax to pay for that first.

I am guessing much of the PL money is distributed in many ways, local initatives etc. but its not really their prerogative to pay for everything that we feel we need.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
But your just asking for money from the PL to subsidise central or local government funding for new facilties, where is the win for the PL teams.

I am happy to fleece PL money as much as the next person but unless it represents some goodwill or other then why would they give away their money.

Because they are reliant on their grounds being approved by local authorities as complying with the 'Safety at sports ground' act. Just wield the big stick, threaten to close the ground (the reason can be as trivial as you like) and they'll soon have to cough up.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I was curious as to how much this would cost so did some quick sums and cutting individual ticket prices by £10 per game would cost somewhere around half a billion pounds per season. Might just be me, but if there was a pot of that much money available per year I'd rather see it spent on infrastructure.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
You cannot just turn to successful private business and have a windfall tax to pay for new 3G facilities, well you can but I doubt whether it will happen and if as you say we dont even have a decent Police service ( I dont agree ) then use that windfall tax to pay for that first.

I am guessing much of the PL money is distributed in many ways, local initatives etc. but its not really their prerogative to pay for everything that we feel we need.

But if Sky need the Premier League, and people are happy to sit on their bums watching TV instead of using their local playing field then what........ This years deal is enough to cover the Local Authority savings for the whole country for two years. If that money gets frittered away on Manchester Utd.'s 'car pool' rather than keeping streetlights working, vulnerable kids off the streets, Doctors surgeries open, firemen's pensions etc then surely there's something very wrong with this Country's priorities.

" Responding to today's settlement, LGA Chair Cllr David Sparks said:

"Today's settlement confirms the huge financial challenge local services now face.

"Councils have spent the past four years finding billions of pounds worth of savings, while working hard to protect the services upon which people rely.

"But those same efficiency savings cannot be made again. The savings of more than £2.5 billion councils need to find before April will be the most difficult yet. We cannot pretend that this will not have an impact on local government's ability to improve people's quality of life and support local businesses.

"It is individuals who have paid the price of funding reductions, whether it is through seeing their local library close, roads deteriorate or support for young people and families scaled back. "

I'm afraid it will be potholes before playing fields for the foreseeable future.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There are several things they could do with this money:

Help out clubs like Hereford before they go bust. I recall reading their debt was about £1.5m or approximately three weeks wages for Wayne Rooney.
Reduce ticket prices for fans.
Put more money back into grassroots football.
Pay the living wage to their staff.

None of this will happen. Why? Because they're about making money. That's why the sodding PL was formed in the first place; four or five clubs wanting more money than the FL were giving them. Why on earth would they now give back some of the bounty they've been plundering over the last twenty years?

No, it will go to players and to agents and to directors and then, in five years time, they'll get another great big filthy pay-off and we'll be outraged all over again.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Will never happen, and I hope it doesn't (because of the following points).

Keep in mind the fact that lower ticket prices means young fans are more likely to go to games of more local premier league teams - If you live in Rochdale and could watch Rochdale for £15 or Man United for £20, which would you choose?

And another point - if premiership lowered ticket prices, then other leagues would have to follow suit (to counter the above issue, and to avoid negative comparison). For instance, why would Brighton fans stand to pay what, £30-£42 for a league game at the Amex when Southampton etc... can charge £20 for Premier league footy. Brighton (and many other clubs) are already losing a tonne of money, it'd only get worse.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Will never happen, and I hope it doesn't (because of the following points).

Keep in mind the fact that lower ticket prices means young fans are more likely to go to games of more local premier league teams - If you live in Rochdale and could watch Rochdale for £15 or Man United for £20, which would you choose?

And another point - if premiership lowered ticket prices, then other leagues would have to follow suit (to counter the above issue, and to avoid negative comparison). For instance, why would Brighton fans stand to pay what, £30-£42 for a league game at the Amex when Southampton etc... can charge £20 for Premier league footy. Brighton (and many other clubs) are already losing a tonne of money, it'd only get worse.

I don't think you'll see Spotland suddenly emptying as Man Utd already fill Old Trafford week-in, week-out. There are no more seats available to sell. Football isn't like deciding to shop at Sainsbury's instead of Tesco and you don't understand the nature of the business model if you think it is.

Do you think Brighton fans will suddenly head to Selhurst Park simply because of cheaper prices ( they've already tried Groupon deals to unsuccessfully fill their ground ) - nah, me neither.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I don't think you'll see Spotland suddenly emptying as Man Utd already fill Old Trafford week-in, week-out. There are no more seats available to sell. Football isn't like deciding to shop at Sainsbury's instead of Tesco and you don't understand the nature of the business model if you think it is.

Do you think Brighton fans will suddenly head to Selhurst Park simply because of cheaper prices ( they've already tried Groupon deals to unsuccessfully fill their ground ) - nah, me neither.

I never said it'd be an instant thing, more of a long term thing. It maybe wouldn't affect Brighton SO much compared to others as a club due to geographical distances / travel times to the nearest Premier League teams, but could see a lot of the 'younger generation' of fans supporting their nearest PL side. For instance, younger fans now who live in North Sussex, closer to Crystal Palace, who are about to make the decision which team to start spending their pocket money on, and they realise they can see premiership football for the same price as Championship football, which would they prefer? Or someone in the far west of West Sussex, torn between Brighton, Pompey and Saints, all for the same money. And once their in, they're (usually) hooked.

And as mentioned earlier, Brighton having to lower ticket prices to compete would cause no end of financial trouble.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rather than give the money to fans, why don't PL clubs commit to paying the living wage for all of their staff? There are plenty of people who work at clubs who are paid a pittance.

Chelsea have led the way on this issue.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/12/chelsea-to-pay-living-wage.html

I read about this last week, love the way Chelsea have used as positive PR when it's something they should be ashamed they weren't doing in the first place.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We have one: he's called the chairman

We do have a fan as the chairman, and we have a great chairman in my opinion. We also have a good management set up and long may that last.

However, we do have a chairman with a multi-million pound vested interest.

I'm a strong supporter of the Supporter's Trust model. I think it adds balance and I think this is what [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] is suggesting.

Huw Crooze is no multi-millionaire and he represents the Swans fans http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-21512013

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact of the matter is that this megadeal has been coming for some time and every Prem agent has been deferring contract negotiations for as long as they could in order to get a bigger salary for their players, Raheem Sterling being a prime example.

So it's already happened. The deal is in place and players and their agents are already taking what extra cash is available. When Brendan Rogers comes out and says Sterling has been offered a good deal and needs to be careful, or Tony Pulis drops Berahino for a match to rap his knuckles the players and their agents will be laughing in their faces. Luvvly jubbly.

The increase in the value of the TV deal is enough to allow ALL football in the UK to include FREE admission to every spectator - and still leave MORE money in the pot than the Premier League already has from this season's deal.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But if Sky need the Premier League, and people are happy to sit on their bums watching TV instead of using their local playing field then what........ This years deal is enough to cover the Local Authority savings for the whole country for two years. If that money gets frittered away on Manchester Utd.'s 'car pool' rather than keeping streetlights working, vulnerable kids off the streets, Doctors surgeries open, firemen's pensions etc then surely there's something very wrong with this Country's priorities.

" Responding to today's settlement, LGA Chair Cllr David Sparks said:

"Today's settlement confirms the huge financial challenge local services now face.

"Councils have spent the past four years finding billions of pounds worth of savings, while working hard to protect the services upon which people rely.

"But those same efficiency savings cannot be made again. The savings of more than £2.5 billion councils need to find before April will be the most difficult yet. We cannot pretend that this will not have an impact on local government's ability to improve people's quality of life and support local businesses.

"It is individuals who have paid the price of funding reductions, whether it is through seeing their local library close, roads deteriorate or support for young people and families scaled back. "

I'm afraid it will be potholes before playing fields for the foreseeable future.

You seem to be saying just increase taxes for those successful companies a windfall tax perhaps, I am sure that Sky and the PL would perhaps find a different outcome than make a deal that then the government takes a lionshare for keeping the streetlights bright ??

Personally as long as they continue to pay their correct and appropriate tax and employ the many 1000's of people that pay their appropriate tax, with many associated businesses benefiting that then pay their appropriate tax and contribute to local many initiatives then they seem to be doing their fairshare.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The only way clubs will cut ticket prices is if enough Sky , BT and VM customers cancel their sports subs and the money to pay exhorbitant wages dries up. Fans wont pay top dollar once all the mercenaries go elsewhere and the clubs will have to re-adjust ticket prices.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The fact of the matter is that this megadeal has been coming for some time and every Prem agent has been deferring contract negotiations for as long as they could in order to get a bigger salary for their players, Raheem Sterling being a prime example.

So it's already happened. The deal is in place and players and their agents are already taking what extra cash is available. When Brendan Rogers comes out and says Sterling has been offered a good deal and needs to be careful, or Tony Pulis drops Berahino for a match to rap his knuckles the players and their agents will be laughing in their faces. Luvvly jubbly.

The clubs are the recipients of the money, both players and clubs might have deferred decisions on players retention and recruitment that sounds quite reasonable to me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the way of the PL, no doubt clubs will increase ticketing prices rather than reduce them. This would be on the basis that the extra revenue has allowed clubs to transfer in better players but on higher wages, so the fans are now able to watch virtually all of the top 100 footballers in the world, and therefore should pay more for this upgrade in quality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The clubs are the recipients of the money, both players and clubs might have deferred decisions on players retention and recruitment that sounds quite reasonable to me.

There's no question Liverpool are desperate to keep Sterling, and they would have loved have got him to sign and extended contract before the new Prem deal had been done. Now he has them over a barrel. They have deeper pockets - he knows it and so do they. Therefore, what changes is the deal from Sterling's position.

But Sterling is the first of Liverpool's stars to be dealing 'post-megadeal. The likes of Jordan Henderson will see the Sterling deal, see Gerrard is off the wage bill imminently and will also be looking for a massive deal, then Sturridge and so it will go on. Therefore, all of this talk of "grass roots", "infrastructure" etc is total bollocks.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
This is where some of the money should go , help the fans for once , prove that the PL teams are not greedy and appreciate the fans !

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/art...ree-away-travel-offer-for-201415-1772960.aspx

Are you looking Mr Barber ???

What an odd remark. What is it to do with the Premier League?

I know you're just using the opportunity to have a go at Barber but do you really think that TB should subsidise us by pouring even more money into the club? We live in the real world of supply & demand; I think it's called capitalism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here