Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
About 1/3 of Americans agree with this and it can happen when the Dems are in power

Something seriously wrong with their democracy

I feel for the majority

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Maybe just maybe in the bible belt state's it would not be a surprise,but to include the East and West coast states just where are we going ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
About 1/3 of Americans agree with this and it can happen when the Dems are in power

Something seriously wrong with their democracy

I feel for the majority

The biggest mistake is to assume that democracy is a regime. It's not. To repeat what I said a few posts back, it's the power or strength -- cracie/kratos -- of the demos to act and to make the world anew. The US is a regime, beholden to a constitution written about 250 years ago, which benefits a few against the many. The notion that less than a dozen appointed judges can make the most profound, impactful policy decisions is democratic is just idiotic. Ditto that the make-up of the Senate is sacrosanct and reforming or abolishing it would constitute an affront to 'democracy'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe just maybe in the bible belt state's it would not be a surprise,but to include the East and West coast states just where are we going ?

as i understand it, the judgement doesnt make anything illegal on its own. the Roe decision made it unconstitutional to have anti-abortion laws, this reversal makes it possible. so now its down to each state to decide.

some have gone full bore, no abortion at all for any reason. also one has legislation that means you could sue the cab company that took someone to a clinic.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The biggest mistake is to assume that democracy is a regime. It's not. To repeat what I said a few posts back, it's the power or strength -- cracie/kratos -- of the demos to act and to make the world anew. The US is a regime, beholden to a constitution written about 250 years ago, which benefits a few against the many. The notion that less than a dozen appointed judges can make the most profound, impactful policy decisions is democratic is just idiotic. Ditto that the make-up of the Senate is sacrosanct and reforming or abolishing it would constitute an affront to 'democracy'.

The way the Supreme Court could be politicised and have such power is just ridiculous

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I guess this decision and the one yesterday on guns are meant to cancel each other out.

“Although we’ve now forced you to give birth, we appreciate the child may not have been wanted in the first place. Therefore please send them to the local junior school, so they can be massacred instead.”

Can’t see how that’s more humane myself, but these guys clearly know better.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
America: Pro-Life until you're born, pro-Freedom until you disagree.

This is an unequivocal disgrace and just goes to show that you're never far from a step back to the dark ages. With all the law "reforms" banning protest, binning the Human Rights act and sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, we as a country should take note as to where a Trumpian government can lead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Donald Trump's real victory.

Again much like guns, yesterday, this is nothing to do with Donny.

This ruling and the next 20 years of ruling are the responsibility of Mitch McConnell.

The loveable rouge Mitch is the Leader of the House Republicans, who held the Senate during Baz OB's last term.
He successfully blocked a new (Democratic) appointment for over a year - hoping for a Rep victory.

There's absolutely no way the reptile didn't rejoice when a further 2 justices died.

Ruth Baderginsberg (sp) popping off just before the election would have come as most welcome news.

Mitch could now turn a previously centrist Supreme Court (5-4) into whatever he wanted (6-3)

In a move that came as no surprise to anybody Mitchy-poohs chose ...

... Pandering to the zealots.

(Forgive me if some of the details are a little off - if that's not exact it's very much the jist)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I want to keep politics out of it, however we have Democrats in government but does this have Trump and The Republican Party all over it?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Just focusing on your legal point (rather than the thread topic directly) how does that differ from the UK or EU ? Don’t judges interpret law over here as well ? I appreciate over there they are referencing a written constitution but it could be argued the lack of one is even more open to abuse. I don’t know the answer by the way.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
All kinds of repercussions.

Abortion legal in some states, but illegal in others?

Expect abortion holidays, abortion inflation, abortion insurance inflation, abortion available only to those who can afford the holiday and the medical fees.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I want to keep politics out of it, however we have Democrats in government but does this have Trump and The Republican Party all over it?

See above.

Why would you want to keep politics out of it.
This is politics.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Have I misunderstood this tweet?

Abortion is illegal even in the case of rape? And incest? So a woman can be raped by her brother of father and she has to have the baby?

And then even if she's going to die because of having the baby, perhaps because of being underage she still can't have an abortion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you want to know how 'this' all started I suggest you check out a podcast by Jon Ronson, from his most recent series 'when did it all go wrong' ( or something like that)

Abortion was never an issue for the religious right as it's very much 'a Catholic issue'.

Then at some point in the 1970's it appeared on their radar in much the same way as...

now you're not going to believe this...

...in much the same way as Father Ted promoted The Passion of St Tibulus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here