Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Soccer ban headers for children under 11 over concussion fears

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In respect to the heading conundrum you stated that players can take 'excellent' corners, which seemed to imply they were long corners, long corners tend to encourage or expect heading, the outcome of an excellent corner must be a positive end result.

My point was that heading and long corners can at times be perfectly legitimate part of anyones play, but for me less so in the younger age groups, firstly a player is less likey to be able to kick it with any consistency into the goal area and as we have discussed even when they do then its unlikely to be headed by a player in the younger age groups, it might cause an element of chaos which might then lead to a goal, but thats more about unintended consequences rather than a viable player development plan, thats all.

But if at the older age groups under 11's upwards you have players whipping in a corner or crosses and an old school centre forward attacking the cross and powering in a header then great, but then that kinda legitimises the discussion about possible brain injury and the prevention of it.

Why do you keep saying 'long corners'? An U9 and U10 pitch is only 40yards wide in total, so the near post from a corner is only 18 yards from the corner flag, the edge of the box is only 11 yards away. When I say they can take an excellent corner, I mean the player is capable of kicking a decent cross into the box - that is all I challenged when someone said they're not capable at that age. I didn't say this was effective, desirable, encouraged - it is what it is, now matter how much you coach them, instruct them, they like kicking it as hard as they can, taking shots, playing long passes to each other given half the chance.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why do you keep saying 'long corners'? An U9 and U10 pitch is only 40yards wide in total, so the near post from a corner is only 18 yards from the corner flag, the edge of the box is only 11 yards away. When I say they can take an excellent corner, I mean the player is capable of kicking a decent cross into the box - that is all I challenged when someone said they're not capable at that age. I didn't say this was effective, desirable, encouraged - it is what it is, now matter how much you coach them, instruct them, they like kicking it as hard as they can, taking shots, playing long passes to each other given half the chance.

Because you said they can take 'excellent corners', what is excellent about kicking the ball into the box, if as I thought we all agreed they then dont head it anyway.

I am guessing, now you mean excellent in the sense of a proper corner in an older/adult game and not talking about its excellent in the younger version.

I think I am with you now, cant be sure but I think I am :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because you said they can take 'excellent corners', what is excellent about kicking the ball into the box, if as I thought we all agreed they then dont head it anyway.

I am guessing, now you mean excellent in the sense of a proper corner in an older/adult game and not talking about its excellent in the younger version.

I think I am with you now, cant be sure but I think I am :)

Well what a relief. I'm glad you're with me, as I think you could take a discussion on a long scenic detour with a stop for cake every 3 miles...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here