Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US Soccer ban headers for children under 11 over concussion fears

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"US Soccer will also limit the number of headers made in practice matches for players between the ages of 11 and 13 and undertake a safety awareness campaign on the issue."

So the ref and the players will have to keep count of how many headers there has been? :lolol:

Banning headers makes corners pretty much redundant as well, considering the keeper can just catch any ball in the air completely unchallenged.

It's part of the game, if you don't like it, don't let your kids play it. Typical of the Americans, doing their utmost to b astardise everything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. It is the brain.
You may be an excellent coach but not all coaches will show the same levels of care for their charges. Children sometimes need protecting from over-enthusiastic amateurs.
It is the brain. Other bits all recover.
I disagree. Times change. Like outlawing the tackle from behind.
Other parts of the body - carry on as you like. The brain ? No.

Kids bang their heads all the time, heaviest part of their body, they fall off things, bang into things, clash heads running around. Goodness me. U10's rarely head it as it is. You may as well make rugby style head gear compulsory for all kids just to wear whenever they wake up. It would make no difference to kids football U10 and below - because most of them don't head it anyway, and it's not often the ball is headable anyway given the power they have to kick it.

What happens when some kid gets it full on in the head or face accidentally? Mild panic pitch side? Seriously, a ban...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Short corners and goal kicks will encourage better footballing skills.

Keeping the ball on the deck is what kids should be taught anyway.

Kids will think to pass rather than hoof.

Kids will learn to try and control difficult high balls instead of just jumping at it with their eyes shut.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Kids bang their heads all the time, heaviest part of their body, they fall off things, bang into things, clash heads running around. Goodness me. U10's rarely head it as it is. You may as well make rugby style head gear compulsory for all kids just to wear whenever they wake up. It would make no difference to kids football U10 and below - because most of them don't head it anyway, and it's not often the ball is headable anyway given the power they have to kick it.

What happens when some kid gets it full on in the head or face accidentally? Mild panic pitch side? Seriously, a ban...

Well if it rarely happens it won't be a problem will it ?

And accidental clashes and balls in the face are never going to be stopped. It is a contact sport.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's part of the game, if you don't like it, don't let your kids play it. Typical of the Americans, doing their utmost to b astardise everything.

Rugby would not be played at junior level if they took that attitude. Everything is designed to suit the age group. And particular care is taken over scrums. It is changing and developing all the time to protect the players and prepare them for the adult game. Except when they are young - it is not the adult game.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

Kids will learn to try and control difficult high balls instead of just jumping at it with their eyes shut.

What a load of utter rollox. Just tell them that God will protect them! :lolol:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

I agree with this entirely. My son and I watched an under 11s match on Sunday. The team shooting downhill and wind behind kept lumping it forward and that was their only tactic. How is that teaching them anything? They should keep it on the floor and pass pass pass pass pass.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Funny how a heading debate has suddenly brought up 'hoofing'. I always thought opposite ends of the body were involved..........

Best teach them the only thing they're allowed to do is pass across or back, never more than a foot off the ground and never further than five yards. They'll soon give up playing football then, so the safety problem will be solved.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Funny how a heading debate has suddenly brought up 'hoofing'. I always thought opposite ends of the body were involved..........

Best teach them the only thing they're allowed to do is pass across or back, never more than a foot off the ground and never further than five yards. They'll soon give up playing football then, so the safety problem will be solved.

If you watch Kids play football, you'll notice most kids don't actually enjoy heading the ball. Most of the kids keep their eyes shut.

What's the point in making a kid do something it's scared of?

Why not teach the kids skills rather than bravery?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Doctor interviewed on Skysports stated it was nothing to do with the ball and all about head to head, elbow to head and head to ground that happens when you contest a header.
He was uneasy when questioned re what appropriate age is OK, admitting they didn't know and guessed at the age they picked as inappropriate.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
It's all very well saying to kids don't head the ball in organised matches but most kids play football in the playground and in the streets and will invariably will see their favourite football players head the ball and will try to emulate them. Better to teach them how to do it properly and safely. Heading the ball is an integral and exciting part of the game as well as an important facet in developing individual technical skills.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you watch Kids play football, you'll notice most kids don't actually enjoy heading the ball. Most of the kids keep their eyes shut.

What's the point in making a kid do something it's scared of?

Why not teach the kids skills rather than bravery?

So no one is teaching skills because we're too busy coaching bravery and heading? Can skills, ball on the deck, and heading not coexist without the need for a ban?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
So no one is teaching skills because we're too busy coaching bravery and heading? Can skills, ball on the deck, and heading not coexist without the need for a ban?

Why adults think heading is an important factor in youth football is beyond me?

I guess some people would rather the see competition than development.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I was about ten, I was playing at Easthill Park Portslade, in the rain, with a leather ball, and got one right on the forehead, hoofed by some great oaf. Head was bruised on the outside, and what passes as my brain has been rattling around in its bony box ever since. I'm not sure what a rule against heading would do about that - I would have ducked had I had the time (and, er, ability).

Still, a shift to playing it on the floor would benefit from this rule, and I agree with many others who have posted on this thread.

That said, I saw some funny coaching when my lad lived on Vancouver island with his mum, 20 years ago. The coach had obviously learned the 'positions' (left half, centre forward, etc) but expected the kids to sort of stand on an invisible spot for 90 minutes to reflect this. It didn't work, of course, and all 20 outfield players were soon swarming around the ball like flies round a rolling turd. :facepalm: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here