Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The BBC has been getting pelters from people accusing them of being anti-Trump wishy washy liberals....great to hear a presenter bite back and say " please give examples if this left wing bias......" " Currently we are only repeating what Donald Trump has said in his own speeches ".

BBC journo to trump supporter: how could you vote trump given his awful policies?

BBC journo to Clinton supporter: tell me how you feel about this shocking news.

Bias? The BBC? Surely not.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I didn't favour either candidate. I'm just rather contemptuous of the disproportionate mass hysteria. In reality, I expect very little to change in the short time. Trump will undertake a steep learning curve, finding allies and discovering procedures. Should he propose anything that is too drastic, it will be fought out in a democratic republican battle - and so on.

The Americans have elected a President, not installed a dictator.

Edited for you.

The Electorate would have to be mad to vote in a Dictator as you say....
In the short term there will be little change, as you say, but once the Supreme Court has had the new Republican Judge added the Republicans will have full control along with the Senate and Congress.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
BBC journo to trump supporter: how could you vote trump given his awful policies?

BBC journo to Clinton supporter: tell me how you feel about this shocking news.

Bias? The BBC? Surely not.

You know that without being able to actually say the reporter's name and what programme it was on that's just anecdotal, right?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm looking forward to the end of January when he has to start delivering on his " policies " .... that's if he still remembers and admits saying them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do keep up

As of 11:55 a.m. ET, Clinton had amassed 59,458,295 votes nationally, to Trump's 59,265,380 — a margin of 192,915 that puts Clinton on track to become the fifth U.S. presidential candidate to win the popular vote but lose the election.

Neither candidate got more than 50 percent of the vote: As of 11:55 a.m. ET, Clinton stood at 47.7 percent and Trump at 47.5 percent.

Its a mad system, whereby the Democrats got more votes in the presidential election, more votes in the congressional elections and more votes in the senate elections over the past six years, and yet control none of the three seats of government. Democracy!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Any bookies offering odds on his impeachment yet?

Actually, him not seeing out the full 4 years could well be a shrewd bet whether it's impeachment or him resigning for whatever reason. He's 70 years old and his new job may have lots of perks but it comes with untold stresses and long hours.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Actually, him not seeing out the full 4 years could well be a shrewd bet whether it's impeachment or him resigning for whatever reason. He's 70 years old and his new job may have lots of perks but it comes with untold stresses and long hours.

And lots of enemies

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Can anyone answer this question? I have tried to google but can't be bothered to reed through.

How many points did Trump win by?

The OP said HRC would win by 4 points.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I didn't favour either candidate. I'm just rather contemptuous of the disproportionate mass hysteria. In reality, I expect very little to change in the short time. Trump will undertake a steep learning curve, finding allies and discovering procedures. Should he propose anything that is too drastic, it will be fought out in a democratic battle - and so on.

The Americans have elected a President, not installed a dictator.

Why do you suppose that a man pushing 70 who has been used to getting his own way his whole life will "undertake a steep learning curve"? People aged 70 - especially the likes of Trump - can't be arsed to "learn" anything. He knows it all already, he's told us that.

He is a man in a hurry - age is against him, so he will try and get as much of his agenda done and dusted in this first term. And as with anything rushed, the risk of things going wrong is that much greater.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can anyone answer this question? I have tried to google but can't be bothered to reed through.

How many points did Trump win by?

The OP said HRC would win by 4 points.

Trump didn't win the popular vote. HRC was ahead by 0.1%

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There are a few worried leaders in the EU now. This is twice that the people have dared to speak out with their votes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As mentioned in the merged thread covering Brexit, Mrs May has become adept at not answering straight questions, a beauty I heard on the radio today.

Reporter: " Mrs May how do you feel about Donald Trump being elected the next president ? :

Mrs May " I congratulate him on being elected and look forward to working with him on maintaining and building the special relationship with the American people "

Reporter : " During the election campaign Donald Trump said some rather derogatory things about women, how do you feel about what he said ?"

Mrs. May " Er,I congratulate him on being elected and look forward to working with him on maintaining and building the special relationship with the American people "

Priceless !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we will be OK if Newt Gingrich or Jeff Sessions becomes Secretary of State.

Need to hope Michael Flynn is out of the running for that post.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Trump didn't win the popular vote. HRC was ahead by 0.1%

The staggering statistic for me is that so many Democrat voters stayed at home. I think there was 18m less votes cast in this election than in 2012 where Mitt Romney got 60.9m votes and lost by 5m votes whereas in 2016 Trump has 58.1m and neck and neck with HRC in terms of popular vote.

It's hard to believe that there are Democrat voters out there who supported Obama but couldn't bring themselves to vote for HRC despite such a clearly divisive opponent. Either they got complacent because of the media telling them that Trump could not win or they simply don't like HRC. It goes to show that if the Democrats had picked Joe Biden or even Sanders then they would probably have won handsomely.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
As mentioned in the merged thread covering Brexit, Mrs May has become adept at not answering straight questions, a beauty I heard on the radio today.

Reporter: " Mrs May how do you feel about Donald Trump being elected the next president ? :

Mrs May " I congratulate him on being elected and look forward to working with him on maintaining and building the special relationship with the American people "

Reporter : " During the election campaign Donald Trump said some rather derogatory things about women, how do you feel about what he said ?"

Mrs. May " Er,I congratulate him on being elected and look forward to working with him on maintaining and building the special relationship with the American people "

Priceless !
Do you really expect her to say " I can't believe he won, the blokes a tosser" ? Of course you don't she's the prime minister and he's the president elect , Corbin was pretty non committal when he was interviewed as well, did you miss that one ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The staggering statistic for me is that so many Democrat voters stayed at home. I think there was 18m less votes cast in this election than in 2012 where Mitt Romney got 60.9m votes and lost by 5m votes whereas in 2016 Trump has 58.1m and neck and neck with HRC in terms of popular vote.

It's hard to believe that there are Democrat voters out there who supported Obama but couldn't bring themselves to vote for HRC despite such a clearly divisive opponent. Either they got complacent because of the media telling them that Trump could not win or they simply don't like HRC. It goes to show that if the Democrats had picked Joe Biden or even Sanders then they would probably have won handsomely.

I don't think it was the media telling them that Trump couldn't win - most of the polls in the past week had a very narrow lead for Clinton (with one indicating a Trump win) but there was almost visceral hatred of HRC, In polls around the time of the Democrat Convention, Sanders was ahead of Trump by 12 to 15% while Clinton was ahead by about 4 or 5%. Trump would not have been able to accuse Sanders of a) being untrustworthy or b) part of the Washington elite - it's interesting to speculate what tactics he'd have used

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here