Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Tired of being told what is best for them by a deracinated elite, fed up with having mass immigration and multiculturalism and political correctness foisted on them, people tell the political and intellectual Establishment that its days are numbered.

If that is populism then its emergence is not before time.

Good article in the Spectator blogs that agrees with this.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Tired of being told what is best for them by a deracinated elite, fed up with having mass immigration and multiculturalism and political correctness foisted on them, people tell the political and intellectual Establishment that its days are numbered.

If that is populism then its emergence is not before time.

I am surprised at the way people are treating Brexit and the Trump victory as some sort of revolution! Handing power back to the political elite of westminster isn't revolutionary and nor is electing a billionaire member of the elite to govern within the existing US political system. Changes of the system would cause real revolutionary change to happen, changes within the existing system most certainly won't.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just watching the numerous reports on the matter last night and a personal favourite:

Reporter "Hello madam. Who did you vote for"
Lady: "Donald J Trump"
Reporter: "OK. And what were your reasons"
Lady: "I liked his policies"
Reporter: "Many would argue he didn't have many specific policies"
Lady:"Sure he did. He said he would 'Make America Great Again'"
Reporter: "and how will he do that?"
Lady: "I don't know"

Amazing.

This was a SWING state.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I wouldn't have voted for the nutter either but it seems increasingly that a number of people are all for democracy right up to the moment they don't get the answer they want...

This song has nothing to do with Trump. It was released in 2009, written in 2008. A very small amount of research has told me that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't have voted for the nutter either but it seems increasingly that a number of people are all for democracy right up to the moment they don't get the answer they want...

Very much this.

Protests on the streets after a democratic process has run its course - WTF ? What exactly are they protesting about ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yep, agree. Like Farage organising a march to protest a democratic ruling by the judiciary.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This song has nothing to do with Trump. It was released in 2009, written in 2008. A very small amount of research has told me that.

Wasn't a comment about the song. It was just a comment. Didn't listen to the song it's not relevant to the comment at all...

I voted remain. Same thing with Brexit, people need to learn to accept the decisions of votes even if they don't like them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Very much this.

Protests on the streets after a democratic process has run its course - WTF ? What exactly are they protesting about ?

The right of protest, and freedom of speech, are two of the main planks of democracy. Clinton got more votes, a pretty awful election process elected Trump.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I wanted to remain in Europe and firmly believe that Trump isn't good for the US or wider World, however, we must always respect the will of the people.

If you feel the turnout was low or the message didn't get across that not the fault of the winner. I suggest we get more involved in politics, engage people in your views and participate more in the process.

We must understand we will always, hopefully, live in a democracy and it's a vote under those rules, the same rules we except before the vote and the same rules still there after.

For my input I feel there needs to be more independence in politics and an understanding that whether your politics are left, right or centre you don't have to fully follow your chosen party, you should be able to challenge the norm.

Support and encourage Proportional Representation, it's the only way minorities get a voice and feel enfranchised and a way in which independents can state their political leanings without blind support of one party.

Overall though, get out and vote, once democracy has run it's course you must accept the result and work harder to peacefully convince others to your way of thinking.

PR NOW!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's a legal definition made by Judges not a political comment. Farage is a **** and attempting to create a conspiracy theory for who knows what purpose? A storm in a teacup IMO

I watched a video yesterday of Trump and Farage together saying how great the other was and it made me a little sick in my mouth.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The right of protest, and freedom of speech, are two of the main planks of democracy. Clinton got more votes, a pretty awful election process elected Trump.

Indeed. All well and good people complaining about 'lefties' protesting a result, when Trump said he would appeal the decision if he lost come what may. Twice in five elections the American's have ended up with a president who did not win the popular vote. That is unacceptable in a modern democracy, and well worth protesting about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sure. But its probably the most irrelevantly POINTLESS protest I've ever witnessed. Everyone knows the process, no good whining about it after the event, its not going to change anything. I bet a large proportion of the protesters either didn't vote at all, or wasted it on a minority candidate in a protest vote.

All they can do is vote him out in 4 years. Grizzling in the streets won't achieve anything.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed. All well and good people complaining about 'lefties' protesting a result, when Trump said he would appeal the decision if he lost come what may. Twice in five elections the American's have ended up with a president who did not win the popular vote. That is unacceptable in a modern democracy, and well worth protesting about.
It's fine to criticise the 'lefties' for not accepting the result just as it would have been fine to criticise Trump if he didn't accept the result. What would have happened if the election result went for Clinton is irrelevant, protesting about a democratic vote is pathetic.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Don't forget that being able to protest or speak out against things you disagree with, and not be persecuted for that, is one of the hallmarks of democracy.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Oh god, this. A million times THIS.

I voted to remain in Europe, the U.K. voted differently. I was upset for a while but I've moved on, that's how democracy works. I honestly don't hope we remain now through a loophole or because of the result of mass hysteria. We're leaving the EU, stop moaning and get on with it.The problem is, both the Brexit and Trump victories were largely down to the older demographic voting one way, with the Remain /Clinton campaigns having the lions share of young voters. This means a lot of people voting for the first time are A) not used to losing & B) surrounded with people their own age on Facebook/Twitter who are all voting the same way as them. This means they're blindsided by the actual result as 90% of the people they'll have contact are voting the same way. Democracy is great until you're in the minority I guess

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here