USCC24 Group B
USCC24 Group C
USCC24 Group D

1707733276390.png

The United States Comedy Cup 2024

===
Quarter Final TWO
===

A show for childish idiots - and South Park.

Police Squad! - 1982, 6 episodes

1707843895814.png

Leslie Nielsen is an absolute comedy genius. Great fun. The jokes-per-minute rate in the Naked Gun and Airplane movies is off the charts - haven't watched these in a long time but believe it is the same.

===
vs
===

South Park
- 1997 -, 330 episodes

1707733104564.png

Another big cultural touchstone of a show, and one that has always been happy to satirise all sides of topical, societal, political debates - no one is safe.

===​
Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

VOTE NOW!​

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm actually not sure on this one. I'm going to have to have a think.

South Park has gone really creepy and weird

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've voted South Park because I watched it all the time back in the 90s/00s. It really was a cultural icon back then. I haven't seen many recent episodes but I think it still manages to hit the mark more often than not.
I won't be disappointed if Police Squad makes it through though. Leslie Nielsen was brilliant and I love the Naked Gun films.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Police Squad is awesome. It was originally on at the same time as Top of the Pops and was the same slot as The Streets of San Francisco - so no one else at school had watched it. When they repeated it late on a Saturday night my mate Tallulah would stay every week to watch it. Then a month later it was London tv, so I'd stay every Saturday at Tallulah's grans at Dacre Gardens. A yeah later we went through it all again. Then we got a video so once recorded our nomadic life settled.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Any more for any more?

Is Kenny doomed (again)?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Quality jokes per minute "Police Squad" is untouchable. But there are only about 130minutes of it.

Despite that I've gone for South Park. Nothing can match Police Squad for QJ/min but I regularly watch a couple of episodes of South Park to fill in the empty hours between the present and my death and it cheer me up a bit.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As an aside, the pre credits sequence from the first Naked Gun film certainly must informed Parker and Stone's Team America.

And in other news there's a new Naked Gun film in the works starring Liam Neeson.

hmm?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Both superb. I think I’m going to have to pick South Park though.

From the way the underpant gnomes path to success mirrors so many hopeful real world endeavours, to the way the Margaritaville episode cut across what was happening in finance at the time, to characters like Timmy and Cartman.

The scene in “Free Willzyx” where the boys are breaking into SeaWorld to rescue an orca they believe has been talking to them, and they move across the screen silently in silhouette save for a whispered “Timmy” is pure gold.

Politically South Park is savage on all sides, and for that I applaud it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I THINK I've re-opened the poll - can someone please confirm?

If so, we'll go into a penalty shoot out here - first show to hit 50 votes wins.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
It’s still just showing the way I voted last time. Could this cause the internet to collapse in on itself?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It’s still just showing the way I voted last time. Could this cause the internet to collapse in on itself?
That's how it will look for those who have already voted.

But I can see further votes, so I have reopened it.

EXCITING - we're into Extra Time!

1709727941726.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1709727979125.png

This?

1709728030447.png

Or this?

I really can't call it.

Mellotron