Brighton
USCC24 Group Stage Draw
USCC24 Group A

1707733276390.png

The United States Comedy Cup 2024

===
Group B
===

Group B features two heritage shows, and this might be where we see how big the heritage vote is going to be in this tournament.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - 2013-2021 , 153 episodes

1707843500261.png

A show I've been recommended many times but never gotten round to - I really enjoy Andy Samberg's contributions to Hot Rod, SNL, those Roast Battle thingies amongst other bits. Seeing the outpouring of love for Andre Braugher following his recent passing made me realise what a cultural impact this show has made.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - 2000-2024 , 120 episodes

1707843532524.png

A personal favourite, coming into it's 12th and final season now. A bit slapstick/broad at points, but a genius show at setting up situations and paying them off masterfully. Larry always has a point, even if he doesn't go about making it the right way. I'd like to see it go far, so it probably won't.

M*A*S*H - 1972-1983, 251 episodes

1707843702681.png

I know basically nothing about this show. Educate me.

Police Squad! - 1982, 6 episodes

1707843895814.png

Leslie Nielsen is an absolute comedy genius. Great fun. The jokes-per-minute rate in the Naked Gun and Airplane movies is off the charts - haven't watched these in a long time but believe it is the same.

===​

Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Quarter finals. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 4 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I loved Police Squad
Andy Samberg Is a modern genius

But going to have to go for MASH
Never really watched Curb your enthusiasm - I'm sure it's excellent, just never seem to find the time.

As with a few of the shows I nominated, Brooklyn Nine Nine may have a been a vehicle built around Andy Sandberg's charm, comedy and happy-go-lucky spirit (big fan of his SNL work as part of The Lonely Island), but it's the strength of the ensemble cast that makes the show one I keep going back to for a binge so often. It's produced some iconic catchphrases ("Nine Nine", "Title of your sex tape") and maybe has the best collection of Cold Opens of any US comedy series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Curb, Curb and Curb again.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think I've seen 1 or 2 episodes of each of these, so it's hard to have a strong opinion. I'm going with Police Squad though because I'm a big fan of the Naked Gun films and Leslie Nielsen was a (Canadian) legend.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I voted for MASH. I don't know why, it's not really that funny, it's more a mildly-amusing soap opera than a comedy series. And some of it as aged badly. (And I'm not sure if that should be a valid criticism as I hate everything being judged by modern standards - but I'll make it anyway). However it's got sentimental attachment as it reminds me of my childhood (especially that theme tune). And of course it was considered to be groundbreaking in its time.

Police Squad was absolutely brilliant and I should have voted for that, but there were only six episodes so by American standards it was little more than a glorified pilot. It's a bit like judging a player on only six appearances. (Which obviously we do, which is why it's included as there was no cut-off for length of series).

Brooklyn was ok, nothing more, and 'Curb' I've dipped in and out of over the years. Like 'Seinfeld' it's pretty good and I do like it, but I'm not one of those who raves over it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

This is NSFW, there is profanity but the scene when Jewish writer Larry David critiques rap star Krazee Eyez Killah's lyrics is TV gold.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tough group. Only seen a few Curbs and must watch more. Always liked Brooklyn 99 since seeing the Hot Rod movie first, it's easy daytime laughs. But Police Squad was the market leader, and has simply so many good jokes, it has to win imo. edit- I saw bits of MASH for years without realising it was a comedy, thought it was just a soap. Hasn't aged well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A tight group - Police Squad! and Curb Your Enthusiasm make it through, though perhaps a little unconvincingly.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Brooklyn was ok, nothing more, and 'Curb' I've dipped in and out of over the years. Like 'Seinfeld' it's pretty good and I do like it, but I'm not one of those who raves over it.
Sorry for bouncing this old thread but I wish to change my vote. I said (above) that I'd dipped in and out of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and was a bit 'meh' about it. I was wrong. So, so wrong. My wife said she'd like to watch it, so we started from Season 1 Episode 1. We're only on season 2 but I've seen enough to say that it is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I realise now that Larry David being a complete arse, ether wittingly or unwittingly, is a main part of it, and not a slightly irritating bit of schtick which I'd thought before. I absolutely wet myself watching the episode where the funeral announcement for the aunt called her a 'beloved ****'.

I hope the quality can be maintained through the remaining seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here