Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
USCC24 Group Stage Draw

1707733276390.png

The United States Comedy Cup 2024

===
Group A
===

Welcome to the US Comedy Cup 2024. 16 teams enter the inaugural tournament, only one will succeed. There is a Police presence due to rumours online of a mass protest regarding the controversial inclusion of CARTOONS - 3 in the first group alone! Will be interesting to see how they fair against their real life counterparts.

The Simpsons - 1989- , 762 episodes

1707732746641.png

An absolute COLLOSSUS of a show culturally.

"It introduced American culture on a much broader scale than any language textbook could ever have done. The show taught the World about the foibles of the standard American family household and what Americans as a whole generally value."

Homer and co could do very well, but will the gradual drop in quality following brilliant early seasons, and the sheer number of episodes weigh it down?

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - 2005- , 172 episodes

1707732839816.png

Five friends with big egos and small brains are the proprietors of an Irish pub in Philadelphia. I can't tell you much more than this, I have to admit.

Archer - 2009-2023, 144 episodes

1707732937573.png

Again someone else will do far better at describing this show than me. IMDB - "Covert black ops and espionage take a back seat to zany personalities and relationships between secret agents and drones."

South Park - 1997 -, 330 episodes

1707733104564.png

Another big cultural touchstone of a show, and one that has always been happy to satirise all sides of topical debates - no one is safe. I would argue that where The Simpsons has declined in quality, South Park has broken free of its early juvenilia and is now the sharper, funnier show.

===​
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Quarter finals. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 4 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the longest running live action sitcom in US history.

More importantly, it is actually funny. It satirises popular culture moments deliciously and it does not rely on a laughter track to punctuate set piece jokes like Big Bang Theory and Friends.

The Simpsons was funny for about 7 years until the original writing team moved on. South Park had its moments but mainly relied on shock moments to keep it relevant.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Never really given always sunny a go.

Simpsons or south Park for me
South Park edges it because although I like to think differently, my SOH is actually very immature.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Incredibly tough as I would have South Park, Always Sunny and Simpsons as personal semi finalists.

Simpsons essentially pioneered prime time adult animation (Arguably a greater influence than Flintstones) and inspired a ton of both animated and live action comedies that came after. The first ten years are golden and shaped me and my friends' childhood sense of humour. A product of its time and should have stopped in 1999 though.

South Park has been one of the best satirical programs of the last 25 years and includes the scene that made me laugh the most of any comedy ever. Quite literally 'Rolling On the Floor Laughing' and couldn't breathe. Cartman is a top 3 all time tv character for me.

Always Sunny has been running for nearly 20 years and maintained a phenomenal level of consistency throughout its entire run. Even recent 'lesser' episodes like the ones in Ireland have amazing moments- E.G Frank and the Epstein island papers. (''Thus the shredding'')

Saw a few episodes of Archer, understand the appeal but couldn't really get into it.

Gone for Always Sunny on the basis that Simpsons and South park will probably walk this and so it needs all the help it can get.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Having nominated it, South Park never fails to land punches where it can whilst still keeping the kids young and naive.

Celebrities, political figures, religions and cults, Meghan and Harry, World of Warcraft players, AI...everyone's fair game.

But as we don't want to peak too early in the group stages, let's start off gently with adults who take kids sports too seriously.

For the baseball bleachers across the States, read the football touchlines up and down the UK. There's always one guy.

And are the kids even always that interested in winning organised team sports? Hmmm. :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's got to be South Park. Perhaps I'm going too early with this clip but there's a lot of later stuff that perfectly sends up where we are now - anything featuring PC Principle for example - to move on to. Juvenile, I know, but this clip still makes me cry laughing.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think The Simpsons should win the whole thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's got to be South Park. Perhaps I'm going too early with this clip but there's a lot of later stuff that perfectly sends up where we are now - anything featuring PC Principle for example - to move on to. Juvenile, I know, but this clip still makes me cry laughing.

The episode where Cartman discovers Tourette's syndrome.

I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard at anything.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Very disappointed to see The Simpson and South Park running away with this. Two shows that are long past their best.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Weak group, basically Brazil, Germany, Guinea Bissau and The Faroes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hungry Homer Simpson GIF

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst I love Archer and South Park, it has to be the Simpsons.
I have never seen the other one and am not sure if I've ever heard it's name before - it looks good.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've voted for The Simpsons but still had to post my favourite South Park clip of recent times

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Simpsons showing itself as a clear early contender for the whole thing...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Simpsons and South Park smash their way through - cartoons are in the USCC to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here