Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] US Comedy Cup 2024 - NOMINATIONS THREAD

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did many people in the UK watch Seinfeld? I don't think I've watched a single episode and I barely knew anything about it until I moved to Canada where most people here have watched it.
Does feel like it passed the UK by, certainly compared to Friends, and even compared to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
For me, nine nine or South Park. We shall see, knowing my luck they’ll be drawn against each other in the opening game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For me, nine nine or South Park. We shall see, knowing my luck they’ll be drawn against each other in the opening game.

Can confirm they have avoided each other in the group stages.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seeing all the nominations in this thread, just reminds me that American comedy doesn't travel well.
Out of all the nominations, I think I enjoyed three, one of which didn't make the group stage.

No wonder American TV invented canned laughter.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For anyone interested, it's relatively obscure (I think), but The League is v funny IMO. It centres around a bunch of guys who are in a fantasy (American) football league.

Gutted that Modern Family was mentioned too late to be nominated. That would have been my choice to win.

Either South Park or Flight of the Concords from those on the list I reckon.

Thanks for putting it together @Mellotron

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gutted that Modern Family was mentioned too late to be nominated. That would have been my choice to win.
It missed the cut by the thinnest of margins.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I suspect the age demographic on NSC will count against the Simpsons.
The voting in UKCC24 suggested there is a very large OLDER demographic on NSC, which would likely help Homer and co.

Unless you're saying The Simpsons is too recent?!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The voting in UKCC24 suggested there is a very large OLDER demographic on NSC, which would likely help Homer and co.

Unless you're saying The Simpsons is too recent?!
Well I grew up watching it, and I'm half the age of the typical NSC user.

Based on the way every thread in the UKCC24 featuring Fawlty Towers was full of people calling it dated crap, as it bulldozed its way to the final, I think comedy tastes on here skew slightly older
(see also that many people seemed to think that Blackadder counted as "more recent" :lolol:).

Maybe it'll be different for American shows.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I grew up watching it, and I'm half the age of the typical NSC user.

Based on the way every thread in the UKCC24 featuring Fawlty Towers was full of people calling it dated crap, as it bulldozed its way to the final, I think comedy tastes on here skew slightly older
(see also that many people seemed to think that Blackadder counted as "more recent" :lolol:).

Maybe it'll be different for American shows.
I think it'll be different in that as far as I can see, there are only TWO shows definitely/comfortably older than it in the USCC?

The Simpsons is one of the oldest shows in this competition, it's prime being the early 90s.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think it'll be different in that as far as I can see, there are only TWO shows definitely/comfortably older than it in the USCC?

The Simpsons is one of the oldest shows in this competition, it's prime being the early 90s.
I'd have thought so, but then all the silent geriatrics who vote on these things but never bother writing anything will get wheeled down to the local library to vote for MASH in their droves.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So nominations open at 1.34 and close at 2.38, to create a shortlist of best US comedies for us to vote on, and you're telling me that Friends is not one of them?

Well you enjoy your little contest, I'm out :)
You see that Italy didn't make the last World Cup? Mad that, wasn't it?

I'd have Friends in a final 16 personally - but this isn't Mellotron's USCC24. It's NSC's.

:smile:

(See you at the group stages x)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You see that Italy didn't make the last World Cup? Mad that, wasn't it?

I'd have Friends in a final 16 personally - but this isn't Mellotron's USCC24. It's NSC's.

:smile:

(See you at the group stages x)
Well, technically its not NSC's USCC24, its people who happened to be on NSC between 1.34 and 2.38 this afternoon.

Ironically I happened to be spending that time watching a back-to-back Friends / VEEP / Fresh Prince / 30 Rock medley. That'll teach me/them.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does feel like it passed the UK by, certainly compared to Friends, and even compared to Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I think there were many decent British comedies in the 90s whereas there have been a lot less in the last 10 years or so. Therefore, Curb has gained more traction than Seinfeld did, even though both are Larry David-scripted shows.

I didn't start watching Seinfeld until moved to Australia in 1996 where it was hugely popular. It is a shame it is not better known in the UK - I think the name didn't help because it makes it sound like a shown about one man when in reality it is a sitcom based around a group of 4 characters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here