Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] US - Chlorine washed chicken vs chlorine washed salad

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Good points - you obviously know a lot about it. I would just say that it will not help matters to add US chlorinated chicken to the mess. Personally I now only buy organic foodstuffs and we can all make that choice. Interestingly I see that only today there is news of rapid growth of organic sales

Time will tell how much USA product will come in. It may not be as much as people think. The Far Eastern product is relatively cheap and thence their dominance in the market. Also, we have been operating quality control standards in this country even above EU general standards and I do not expect us to let these levels drop. The public won't allow it, for a start. Traceability is very good at retail level. You can go into your local butcher and he will tell you the source of all his product.
There has been a decent amount of American product in this country for a few years, particularly around London and the SE and although they may target the beef market, they face a lot of competition in that respect.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But we import hundreds of thousands of tonnes of battery reared chicken from Taiwan and Thailand. The majority used in the UK catering trade comes from these sources. Cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets, sandwich bars, pubs, hotels and more all use it, many unknowingly, supplied through wholesale chains. A lot of it comes in in frozen format and at source it is usually washed in chlorine. There is a high level of South American product coming in as well and their welfare standards leave a lot to be desired ( the Corned Beef scandal demonstrates this )
For years, Dutch pig producers, using intensive methods, have been allowed to flood the UK with their bulk product aimed at the catering market because they got away with their lower standards. Only recently, after stricter environmental regulations were forced into the main pig producing province of North Brabant have standards been forced to rise
And this was all under the ' watchful eye ' of the EU! Dutch experts expect the number of pig farms to drop by more than 3000 in the next ten years. Whilst the Dutch have been allowed to get away with it, our pork farmers, producing higher quality product at a premium price have been forced to take a tiny share of the market.
We have two distinctly different market places in this country. The supermarket/retail sector with high visibility and traceability. The catering sector, where a lot more product is used that comes from sources with dubious animal welfare standards. Too many people don't have a clue about the UK food trade but are now jumping on the bandwagon and overreacting about the possibility of chlorinated chicken coming in from the States. The majority of us have been consuming this type of product for years and have known absolutely nothing about it.

There is no way that chlorinated chicken from the US is banned but chlorinated chicken from Thailand is allowed. Nope.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US. As I said, if it’s clearly marked as US/Chlorine washed then people can make an informed choice.

Also, bearing in mind the level of junk which people are willing to put in their bodies (drugs, nicotine, alcohol, man made fats/sugars, etc.), I find the faux outrage over this very odd. It smacks of the fat gits going into MacDonalds for a large meal and getting a diet soda (which is worse than normal soda anyway).

The first part smacks of having your cake and eating it. If the food standards in many parts of Europe are on a par with the US, then there is no need for the UK to make a change.

My personal acid test on this as someone who eats pretty much anything.

When I travel to the US, do I avoid eating any of the following;
1 Chicken (chlorine washed)
2 Soya (Genetically modified crop)
3 Beef (Hormone and antibiotics)

The answer to all of these is no and moreover whilst Americans are not generally the healthiest bunch, I don't see any of these being major contributors to mortality.

Chlorine washing chicken does mask some basic problems in production, but there are far worse things likely to impact the UK from a US free trade agreement.

I do though happen to think that standards are important and want to avoid a race to the bottom. I don't think it was picked up here, but a bunch of animal liberationists, recently broke into Hoads Farm and took pictures of their free range egg facilities. Frankly what they discovered was disgusting and these people have been pedaling a locally produced wholesome premium product, which was nothing of the sort.

GM crops now have a couple of decades of evidence to back up the assertion they are not harmful. This doesn't mean they couldn't be just they haven't been. It still leaves the question is it appropriate for large corporations to control the means of production of basic foodstuffs?

Growth hormones and antibiotics in cattle are risk factors for human health and the latter in particular should not be ignored.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I’d question if the food standards of many parts of Europe are in fact, that much better than the US. As I said, if it’s clearly marked as US/Chlorine washed then people can make an informed choice.

Also, bearing in mind the level of junk which people are willing to put in their bodies (drugs, nicotine, alcohol, man made fats/sugars, etc.), I find the faux outrage over this very odd. It smacks of the fat gits going into MacDonalds for a large meal and getting a diet soda (which is worse than normal soda anyway).

But it keeps being said, the issue is not so much the chlorine as the reasons for it.

Arguing that because bad practices exist in one place mean we shouldn't stop them being introduced in another is very weak.

If you offer people £3 chickens plenty will buy them. In most supermarkets the shelf space given to maltreated chickens is many many times bigger than that given to free range premium ones. Sainsbury's know what people will buy but that doesn't always mean should be allowed to.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
After post #2 you've got to wonder why there was a post #3.

Counting is a natural thing on NSC.

man-counting-on-hands-ARF6W2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Woozers after all these years I've finally noticed 'it'.

Most definitely the first time ever!

I'm off to look at one of those 3D magic eye posters today has to be the day I finally see something.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
But we import hundreds of thousands of tonnes of battery reared chicken from Taiwan and Thailand. The majority used in the UK catering trade comes from these sources. Cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets, sandwich bars, pubs, hotels and more all use it, many unknowingly, supplied through wholesale chains. A lot of it comes in in frozen format and at source it is usually washed in chlorine. There is a high level of South American product coming in as well and their welfare standards leave a lot to be desired ( the Corned Beef scandal demonstrates this )
For years, Dutch pig producers, using intensive methods, have been allowed to flood the UK with their bulk product aimed at the catering market because they got away with their lower standards. Only recently, after stricter environmental regulations were forced into the main pig producing province of North Brabant have standards been forced to rise
And this was all under the ' watchful eye ' of the EU! Dutch experts expect the number of pig farms to drop by more than 3000 in the next ten years. Whilst the Dutch have been allowed to get away with it, our pork farmers, producing higher quality product at a premium price have been forced to take a tiny share of the market.
We have two distinctly different market places in this country. The supermarket/retail sector with high visibility and traceability. The catering sector, where a lot more product is used that comes from sources with dubious animal welfare standards. Too many people don't have a clue about the UK food trade but are now jumping on the bandwagon and overreacting about the possibility of chlorinated chicken coming in from the States. The majority of us have been consuming this type of product for years and have known absolutely nothing about it.

You make some interesting points, but I would also suggest that there are plenty of restaurants that knows the provenance of their menu, and will go to some lengths to display suppliers. These are often a little more upmarket and so the same problem applies to both sectors, those that are less discerning /unable financially to be selective where they eat, will get lumbered with an inferior product

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leavers think Remainers should just get over Brexit but Brexit is not just about politics - it is about ordinary stuff like letting shit food enter the UK, harming our diet and harming our domestic food producers who have high standards.

I don't want this US shit on our shelves or in our freezers, and I don't want to have to pay the extra taxes to the NHS to treat the people that will eat this shit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As so many on here take issue with the potential for lower food standards if we have a trade deal with the US, I’d be interested if the same concerns which are voiced in regards to chlorine washed chicken also apply to the current use of chlorine to wash salad before it’s packed.

Personally, as long as the chicken is clearly marked, then surely it should be personal choice. Unless, of course, people just want to use it as a way yo attack any form of deal which isn’t with the EU.

This process allows really poor quality living and hygiene standards for the live stock. Nice try at trying to wind up remainers though. And by that I mean pathetic. Obvs :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This process allows really poor quality living and hygiene standards for the live stock. Nice try at trying to wind up remainers though. And by that I mean pathetic. Obvs :)

Yes it's a brilliant attack.

I'd voted leave and don't care what food I eat.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Personally I'm wounded.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You make some interesting points, but I would also suggest that there are plenty of restaurants that knows the provenance of their menu, and will go to some lengths to display suppliers. These are often a little more upmarket and so the same problem applies to both sectors, those that are less discerning /unable financially to be selective where they eat, will get lumbered with an inferior product

Yes chef

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Leavers think Remainers should just get over Brexit but Brexit is not just about politics - it is about ordinary stuff like letting shit food enter the UK, harming our diet and harming our domestic food producers who have high standards.

I don't want this US shit on our shelves or in our freezers, and I don't want to have to pay the extra taxes to the NHS to treat the people that will eat this shit.

I agree

Frankie and Benny’s ice cream is bollocks. Compared to good old tried and tested British Belgium Chocolate ice cream

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The first part smacks of having your cake and eating it. If the food standards in many parts of Europe are on a par with the US, then there is no need for the UK to make a change.

My personal acid test on this as someone who eats pretty much anything.

When I travel to the US, do I avoid eating any of the following;
1 Chicken (chlorine washed)
2 Soya (Genetically modified crop)
3 Beef (Hormone and antibiotics)

The answer to all of these is no and moreover whilst Americans are not generally the healthiest bunch, I don't see any of these being major contributors to mortality.

Chlorine washing chicken does mask some basic problems in production, but there are far worse things likely to impact the UK from a US free trade agreement.

I do though happen to think that standards are important and want to avoid a race to the bottom. I don't think it was picked up here, but a bunch of animal liberationists, recently broke into Hoads Farm and took pictures of their free range egg facilities. Frankly what they discovered was disgusting and these people have been pedaling a locally produced wholesome premium product, which was nothing of the sort.

GM crops now have a couple of decades of evidence to back up the assertion they are not harmful. This doesn't mean they couldn't be just they haven't been. It still leaves the question is it appropriate for large corporations to control the means of production of basic foodstuffs?

Growth hormones and antibiotics in cattle are risk factors for human health and the latter in particular should not be ignored.

I am reading Bill Bryson's 'The Body' at the moment (highly recommended it, as well as all his books). He does a massive part on life expectancy, questioning why so much of the US population die earlier than there European and Asian counterparts. They are 31st in the world league of life expectancy, most is put down to the US diet the types of foods they eat.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I used to go to the US a lot for work and I always had some kind of stomach complaints while there and afterwards. Milk, for example, would render me pretty much lactose intolerant for a good month, the meat would bloat me out and there were plenty of other things. Eventually I was eating like a sparrow after cutting out things that made me ill.

Could be that my body wasn't used to the different hormones and chemicals they're allowed to use there that we aren't in Europe, could just be I'm a massive pussy. Who knows? I certainly wouldn't want the US food standards in the UK though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here